Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,165

1 members and 1,164 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,582
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Here's my opinion.

Aquarium rocks normally are kept in a thick layer like that to look nice. I don't know how well the heat will transfer up through the rocks to the snake, most likely not the best, especially with all the little tiny rocks with edges that do not fit well with the other rocks for optimum heat transfer. There is no way that it would be an efficient use of heating for that reason. Normally you need quality surface area to transfer heat, and i don't see the heat transferring through these little painted rocks.

I don't know if any of you have ever taken rocks OUT of an aquarium to clean, but its a bigger pain than it looks to be. It is actually a long, horrible process. There are tiny little bits of grains of the rocks left behind, smaller versions of rocks, and if you add urine or poo to that mess.. the urine is going to go all around the bottom with no refrain and the poo would get stuck on the rocks. As stated before, you would have to take out all the rocks, boil, and replace. But this takes work, time, getting all the rocks out, wiping all of the rock dust out of the bottom, hoping none of the rocks go into your sink drain by accident, especially if you have a garage disposal (NOT FUN)....

They are expensive as well, used as a substrate.

And to argue against paper towels not holding humidity, I'd like to state that I use paper towels and if you spray the paper towel, it actually does help out quite a bit. I don't need to spray, but I have noticed this when I thought my humidity was too low. I do spray my GTPs though and it keeps humidity high. Rocks ... the only way I can see rocks helping is if you had a thin layer of water underneath, which you'll eventually get if you're having to spray, and then you'll have to worry even more about heat transfer going through another layer before it gets to the rocks and the time it takes to heat up the water...

Also you mention feeding in a separate container, which in ball python land may or may not stress out the snake more and cause less successful feedings, so depending on the snake, I wouldn't recommend using a substrate that you have to feed in a separate container.

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

Thanks
    Not something I would use, I have fish and cleaning the rocks is not easy. While the rocks in the pic look smooth and polished, there are so many types of rocks available that could be bad.
    The rock I have in my aquarium is very rough, to the point of being Sharp, I think it could be bad for their scales and skin over time. Porous rocks would be even harder to clean and sanitize.

With all the substrates available, there are many better options, both in cost and function.
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Maixx For This Useful Post:

CoolioTiffany (10-01-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for making this a thread. When I saw all the backlash for the aquarium rock picture I figured the "why not" could be an interesting discussion.

1.0 Green Tree Python
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa

Thanks

Re: Aquarium rocks as substrate.

Also, what about mites or external parasites? You wouldn't be able to treat the enclosure properly or even spot them as easily.

Plus I could imagine the poop or pee sliding right into the rocks to the bottom of the terrarium, leaving it unsanitary and having the enclosure smell like bodily wastes.

Just my opinion though. I'd much rather replace my aspen with a fresh new bag instead of going through the hassle of cleaning aquarium rocks.
    Tiff'z Morphz

BPnet Veteran King's Royal Pythons's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Aquarium rocks as substrate.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill T View Post
    i agree with ballpythonluvr. It would be an absolute nightmare to clean but i dont see an issue with it bein used given u have proper heating set up. i think people freak out way too much over simple stuff. these snakes have lived for thousands of years without us telling them what they can and cant slither on. besides being a pain to clean i see no reason why it couldnt be used. I for one wont just becouse im not cleaning all those rocks lol.
    above highlighted statement....very true!!

anyway, about the rocks, I saw a breeder at a show that heated up rocks and put them into the display case that he had set up to sell snakes out of; they held heat better and kept the temps more stable, plus they looked great!
    as for a permanent substrate, seems like a major PIA to me.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12