Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,385

3 members and 2,382 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    BPnet Senior Member TheSnakeEye's Avatar
    Thanks

Question About Reading Temps

This has probably been asked a thousand times but I'm going to ask again lol.. How do you guys reading your ambient temps in tubs? I know a tempgun can read the the basking spot of the tub (where the snake makes contact with the tub) but how do you measure the space from the floor to the top of the tub?
    Instagram: @NexusReptiles
    Faunaclassifieds: spujol26
    BLBC: spujol26
    www.facebook.com/TheSnakeEye07

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I just use probed thermometers, mounted on the side wall about mid way up and half way along.

In my rack I check air temps of the top most and bottom most tubs, I check hot spots on the the middle and top and bottom. I use an IR gun to spot check here and there as needed.

Thanks

Re: Question About Reading Temps

It is my understanding that you check the hot side temps and cool side temps with the temp gun - but ambient temps are determined by the temp of the entire room.
    L. West
    1.0 CORAL ALBINO BOA (OWEN)
    1.0 PANAMANIAN HYPO BOA (SAWYER)
    1.0 DUMERIL'S BOA (GRAYSON)
    1.0 ALBINO HONDURAN (RIVER)
    0.1 TANGERINE HONDURAN (FAITH)
    1.0 ALBINO TESSERA CORN SNAKE (RILEY)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by L.West View Post
    It is my understanding that you check the hot side temps and cool side temps with the temp gun - but ambient temps are determined by the temp of the entire room.
    Im no expert, but I don't think that can be completely true. Because no matter what the heat given off the heat tape will warm up the hot end of the tub somewhat. Especially in a rack system which allows for some sort of insulation. Which is why I'm wondering how to measure the ambient temps on the hot side..

The probe thermometer sounds good. Never thought of that.

Thanks
    Yes ambient temps can be partially controlled by surface temps, insulation and air flow patters. Room temps have a huge impact on ambient temps but that is not the only thing. It is the easiest way but it is a killer for people with small collections or (like me!) have poor insulated homes that loose heat as fast as you add it.

Probed thermometers are the easiest way. In my enclosures I check hot temp cool temp (inside the hides) and the ambient air temps and humidity.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    Yes ambient temps can be partially controlled by surface temps, insulation and air flow patters. Room temps have a huge impact on ambient temps but that is not the only thing. It is the easiest way but it is a killer for people with small collections or (like me!) have poor insulated homes that loose heat as fast as you add it.

Probed thermometers are the easiest way. In my enclosures I check hot temp cool temp (inside the hides) and the ambient air temps and humidity.
    What probed thermometers do you use? How do you attach them to the tubs?

Thanks
    If ur hot side and cool side are in line with requirements. Ur abient will fall into place if ur room is not overly cold. Ie 69.. However. U can nearly always bet ur ambient will be in line if ur hot and cold temps are met.

If u r concerned a simple analog indoor outdoor thermometer works good. All i usr but i never check my ambients just the surface temps.
    2.6 ball pythons 3.12 ASF
    Cofounder www.softfurs.com

Like us Facebook
    www.facebook.com/simplexserpents

Thanks
    I use the cheapest aquarium thermometers I can find. I buy more than I need and check them against each other and don't use the ones that read much differently from the others. The ambient one I really like the Fluckers dual thermometer and hygrometer one.

simplex, I get your point, but ambient room air temps have massive impact on the enclosures ambient air temps. The enclosure type also has quite large impact as well as type amount and placement of ventilation.

The thing few understand is why they are important. Snakes have a long lung and a short one. The short lung is mostly an aid to help respiration so it can be ignored for air temp discussions. The long lung runs past the heart liver and all the major arteries and veins. If the air temp in the lung is too cool it cools the lung blood (liver and circulation) and core temps. To try to warm the entirety of the animal with just surface temps is unlikely.

Surface temps do help to alter the air temps but your example of 69 the most I have ever seen ambient air temps lift by surface temps alone is 5º that would be 74º not enough or at the very least just barley.

Guessing husbandry is not a good idea. The fact most keepers whom have tons of experience usually heat a 'snake' room to high ambient temps and have little experience with cool room temps. My situation makes this impossible it is simply too costly.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

YOSEF (10-01-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    I use the cheapest aquarium thermometers I can find. I buy more than I need and check them against each other and don't use the ones that read much differently from the others. The ambient one I really like the Fluckers dual thermometer and hygrometer one.

simplex, I get your point, but ambient room air temps have massive impact on the enclosures ambient air temps. The enclosure type also has quite large impact as well as type amount and placement of ventilation.

The thing few understand is why they are important. Snakes have a long lung and a short one. The short lung is mostly an aid to help respiration so it can be ignored for air temp discussions. The long lung runs past the heart liver and all the major arteries and veins. If the air temp in the lung is too cool it cools the lung blood (liver and circulation) and core temps. To try to warm the entirety of the animal with just surface temps is unlikely.

Surface temps do help to alter the air temps but your example of 69 the most I have ever seen ambient air temps lift by surface temps alone is 5º that would be 74º not enough or at the very least just barley.

Guessing husbandry is not a good idea. The fact most keepers whom have tons of experience usually heat a 'snake' room to high ambient temps and have little experience with cool room temps. My situation makes this impossible it is simply too costly.
    I agree with you 100% and I thank you for such an awesome post ! The anatomy of snakes is, in my opinion, a poorly studied aspect of our hobby. You are right on !
    BORNEOS BABY, JUST BORNEOS.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to YOSEF For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (10-01-2011)