Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,302

2 members and 3,300 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Is my temp gun out of whack?

Does anyone have experience with ZooMed's ReptiTemp IR thermometers? I think mine is giving me way inaccurate readings. When checking locations over my UTH, in some spots it was showing as high as 110, in others barely an inch or so away 90, and in another spot 85.

There's no way it's 110 degrees. When I put my hand there, the substrate is warm to the touch, but not hot by any means. Kept my hand in the same spot for five minutes, didn't get warmer. My boy has been laying there all day, and seems perfectly content. I took him out several times to check him over, no burns, no discoloration, nothing. Just took him out and fed him a mouse, which he snapped right up. So I don't think he's stressed or uncomfortable.

Now I'm thinking I should get a different temp gun... Maybe one from Reptile Basics, they seem to be of a higher grade.

Any thoughts?

Thanks

Re: Is my temp gun out of whack?

I have the zoo med temp gun too. My heat tape varies by about 10 degrees on a single strip, but yours is a pretty large range. I regularly calibrate mine with a friend's PE 2, and mines accurate within .5 degrees, but the zoo med ones only read in .5 increments anyway. Can you do this sort of semi-calibration with another tempgun? I definitely plan on getting a better one in the future, but I like supporting local businesses so I bought the zoo med one.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to gardenfiend138 For This Useful Post:

Mike.P (09-30-2011)

Thanks
    Thanks for the input. Unfortunately I don't have another temp gun to reference. Bought that one for the same reason as you actually. Like supporting my local reptile store. Unfortunately that's the only one they carry. Oh well, if I return it I'll just ask for store credit. It'll pay for a few mice. lol

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    If the temp feels warm to you it is over 98.6º so 110 could be possible. IR guns don't do well with shiny things it sometimes reflects off make sure you are pointing at something that is not overly shiny a little bit of brown paper as a 'target' would work.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

Mike.P (10-01-2011)

Thanks
    Check it with ice and water in a cup while gently stirring the solution. It should read 32 F. Atleast you can see if the low end is correct. Checking the higher end you can use hot water but need a certified thermometer for verification. Usually if the low end is right so is the high.
    1.0 Normal
    1.0 Spider
    0.1 Pastel
    0.1 Pinstripe
    0.1 Mojave

0.1 Bearded/Lizzy

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Strick For This Useful Post:

Mike.P (10-01-2011)