Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

1 members and 3,196 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Re: The trend of lowering temps.

Just an interesting observation... A top of the line breeder I know told me 4 years ago that he kept his snakes at about 85 degrees... And I remember thinking he was crazy.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

Thanks

I have heard of people doing this. And what they were saying is they found animals that sit at lower temps in the mid to low 80s have an easier time adjusting to the lower night drop temps during the cooling season. Because of this the animals have less chances to suffer resp issues from the lower temps. For example if the animal lives in 83 degree temps then gets dropped to the mid 70s at night for cooling its less of a shock to the system. Animals that sit at 89 to 90 that go down to mid 70s at night have more of a shock to the system. Thats the theory they used. It makes sence i guess but im not changing. And whatever you choose if your system works i wouldnt change it
    [IMG][/IMG]

Thanks

I live in Barbados, and I've never used heating with my Bp, and she functions just fine. However I can differ from traditional heating since I live in the tropics which has a permanent summer like climate, with a minimal dip in temps around December through January but never enough to require heating.

Never had mites (not even sure there're mites on the island...), No RI, No issues with digestion.... I suggest everyone moves to Barbados!!!!! LOL

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Peoples For This Useful Post:

Anya (01-07-2012),dogdayofsummer (09-25-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Peoples View Post
    I live in Barbados, and I've never used heating with my Bp, and she functions just fine. However I can differ from traditional heating since I live in the tropics which has a permanent summer like climate, with a minimal dip in temps around December through January but never enough to require heating.

Never had mites (not even sure there're mites on the island...), No RI, No issues with digestion.... I suggest everyone moves to Barbados!!!!! LOL
    I'll be there in about a week. How much room do you have? Im just wondering if I should bring the wife and kids or leave them here?
    Over 60...

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    I'll be there in about a week. How much room do you have? Im just wondering if I should bring the wife and kids or leave them here?
    Hey bring them all, I've a 3 bedroom house I don't even go to except to cut the lawn and the occasional weekend get-away...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    Just an interesting observation... A top of the line breeder I know told me 4 years ago that he kept his snakes at about 85 degrees... And I remember thinking he was crazy.
    Mike,
    I put a few quotes from the Barker's book in another thread I started today (not realizing this was already being discussed). It's called "Re-thinking belly heat" and is in my last comment. It turns out that when a snake is digesting food, it can raise it's temp by 2-3 degrees. So if you figure you keep your room at 84-85, then a snake with a meal in it's belly is raising it's temp anywhere from 86-88 degrees (i.e. basking spot temps)! Who would have thought? I talked to Tracy yesterday and had no idea this was in her book which I've had for a year. Need to do more than just look at the cool pics I guess The Barkers actually keep their room at 81 but since I don't have the sophisticated equipment they have, I will probably set my thermostat a bit higher to be safe. I have the advantage of living in Texas so any higher electric bills during the winter will more than be offset during the warmer months.

Thanks
    Honestly this is why I prefer slightly longer cages than the traditional tub length. Provided the snake has adequate hiding places, they still do quite well, and are able to have a much larger heat gradient.

I do find that our male tends to hand near the cooler end, only going to the hot spot(usually people's whole warm side) after eating or on very cold days. But since he does visit the warmest points, I like to give him the option to go there, as well as many options to cool off.

Thanks
    We have done belly heat before. We have also done constant heat. As far as I can tell they do just fine both ways.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12