Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,422

3 members and 3,419 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

couple of questions???

Just some advise please again lol

1 When it comes to the time that I can start handling what might I expect off the littlen?? I have heard people say about them hissing getting in strike pose or striking out.. now if I get any of this behaviour what do I do?? when should I back off leave alone? ..hope you know what I mean

2 How true is it not to handle of a night as I have read that when they come out of a night then you have more of a chance of being bit etc as there awake and looking for food and they can just see something warm and moving and can mistake you? when in the day is best to handle or does it not matter?

sorry for silly questions just trying to learn everything I can

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    1) You can expect anything from striking/hissing to curious and sweet. No ball python is the same and they all react differently. You'll know a strike pose when you see it. I suggest if you get bit while handling to not put him back. If you do that you will show him that he gets when he wants when he bites, and it can become a habit. It doesn't hurt, don't worry lol.

2) I handle mine at night all the time, I don't see any difference in behavior other than I'm not waking them up from their hide. As long as you don't smell like rat you should be fine.

2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Re: couple of questions???

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    1) You can expect anything from striking/hissing to curious and sweet. No ball python is the same and they all react differently. You'll know a strike pose when you see it. I suggest if you get bit while handling to not put him back. If you do that you will show him that he gets when he wants when he bites, and it can become a habit. It doesn't hurt, don't worry lol.

2) I handle mine at night all the time, I don't see any difference in behavior other than I'm not waking them up from their hide. As long as you don't smell like rat you should be fine.

+1

I perfer to handle at night. There more active and more fun to hold at night IMO

Thanks
    1. I would say don't startle them if the snake can't see you last you want to do is grab it young ones don't take is so well and spook. Also lots of them are curious I use that to my advantage and usually place my hand in the cage let them come over to me. This way they feel a bit better and it's less stress imo on them.

2. I hold most my snakes at night time they seem to enjoy being out of the cage more at that time. I have never noticed any being more aggressive at night than the day, but that is just my collection.
    1.0.0 Pewter BP
    1.0.0 Pastel Lesser BP
    0.2.0 Pastel BP
    0.1.0 Spider BP
    0.1.0 Het Albino BP
    1.1.0 Brazilian Rainbow Boas
    1.2.0 King Snakes
    2.1.0 Western Hognose
    0.0.2 Corn Snakes
    1.1.0 Crested Geckos

Thanks

Re: couple of questions???

Thank you for your replies

I know there probably silly questions its just that I am one of them worry people and need to know what to do if anything happens so I'm more prepared, so once again thank you for nice replies to my over analysing lol

You wouldn't think I have 4 cornsnakes the way I'm going on lol