Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,094

0 members and 3,094 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici
    Thanks

Help with my setup

Ok so I just reccently purchased a fairly young ball python and I really need to make sure my set up is ok... I had a sickly ball that passed away reccently, and although many symptoms led to the possibility of ibd, I am extra nervous about making sure my setup is perfect this time... Ok so right now, I have my 20 gallon equipped with an underbelly heat pad, a large hide that rests on top of it.... a deep water dish, two thermometors on each end (which I feel may be off on temp as they dont quite reach under the hide to measure the temp in there, a humidity measurer... as well as an 8.5 inch dome lamp raised up above the enclosure... I have an infrared heat lamp, 75 watt, that I only put on during the day.... the stupid thermometers keep reading about 80 degrees, but I dont think this is the case under the hide (which I think must be at least 85 (hoping to try and purchase a probe therm... I know my lamp can heat the cage more (it has a dimmer and I can raise the heat more if need be) but im too afraid of overheating her! can someone just tell me what I am doing right/ wrong here? Most advice I am getting from people that I know say Im fine, but I cant trust it

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I hope you aren't using the same equipment, enclosure and supplies that you used with your sick snake that died. I know I sure wouldn't take that chance, even with all the bleach in the world....

I actually think if you are not using a thermostat for the heat pad or a dimmer for your lamp, the enclosure and hot spot is far too hot. In most places a lamp is not needed, I only use one in the winter time. I suggest buying a temp gun, or getting better thermometers. I also suggest using two identical hides on opposite sides of the tank.

http://tempgun.com/
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    Sounds not too bad, but definitely not perfect. Here we go:

- Make sure you have 2 tight fitting hides (one for the cool side, one for the hot side)

- NEVER guess at the temperatures. Either get an infrared thermometer or take actual readings with a reliable thermometer.

- You don't need the heat lamp to supplement the hot side, a heat mat will almost always suffice. You may however consider using your heat lamp on the dimmer to keep the cool side at 78-82F

- Get a control for the heat mat (either a thermostat or a rheostat/dimmer. I highly recommend the thermostat).

- If you're only getting readings of about 80 on the side that has both a heat lamp and a heat mat, there is almost definitely something wrong with your thermometers. Again, I can't stress enough how important it is to have high quality thermometers. You can get an infrared thermometer from Pro Exotics for just about $30 and lemme tell you, they are worth their weight in diamond-encrusted gold for this hobby.

- Make sure your humidity is at 50% or higher. If you need to, cover part of the lid of the enclosure with saran wrap or plexiglas to reduce ventilation and hold in the humidity a bit more.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (09-22-2011)

Thanks
    Well I already have a gun in my amazon cart, so Ill definitely be getting that... looking for a small thermostat too (wish I wasnt broke)........... I just get so flustered because I am getting so many different people's perceptions regarding the right way to set up a ball python tank! Some people love UB mats, some love lamps, some love both! It gets me so freaked out! Thanks for your help, I guess Ill try it that way

Thanks
    how about this... since my lamp does indeed have a dimmer, i was thinking I could do lamp during the day and heat mat at night... this was reccommended to me by more than one owner... but I guess id like to get a third opinion

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Re: Help with my setup

Quote Originally Posted by bellatrixxxy View Post
    how about this... since my lamp does indeed have a dimmer, i was thinking I could do lamp during the day and heat mat at night... this was reccommended to me by more than one owner... but I guess id like to get a third opinion
    There's no need to change temps in any way during the day or night. Get the correct temps with the UTH/thermostat and/or lamp/dimmer and keep it 24/7.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Alexandra V (09-22-2011)