Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,317

2 members and 1,315 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,120
Threads: 248,563
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Luke50585
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Smile Started breeding our own rats... question about adding breeders...

Our BP collection has grown significantly over the past several months so we made the decision to start breeding our own feeders. We were able to obtain a used freedom breeder set up from our snake breeder and we started out with 3 levels of 3 bigger tubs and have since added 5 levels of smaller bins for the birthing location. So, we have 9 larger tubs total currently and 25 smaller birthing tubs. We currently have set up of 4 sets of 2:6 and getting another set of 2:6 with 6 additional females to cycle in during birthing and nursery times. Then we plan on having a couple of tubs for nursery and weanlings.

We aren't worried about producing too many as any additional we have we will be supplying to our snake breeder we work with, but my question is -

What is the easiest in your opinion as far as adding new breeders into your system -

- buying new breeders and introducing them into your flow
    or
    - raising up babies that you make and adding them into your flow.

I'm sure we'll be raising some up but didn't know if it was better to add non-related ones periodically for breeding better kinds or if it is ok to just keep adding related ones back into it when they are old enough to breed. And how old do they need to be to add them back in. I know its best to wait til they are a little older but what is the best in opinions of what would be best.

Thanks
    I am pretty new to this too. But what I prefer is to raise my own to be breeders. Then I know they are healthy. I always wonder about the conditions that my unknown rats come from. And I'd like to know lineage. Even though I am breeding to feed, I want to make the best rats I possibly can. Though I am looking at purchasing a few more females, I prefer to raise my own whenever possible.
    0.1 normal ball
    0.1 pastel ball

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    I assume you mean adding to a breeding colony...
    If it's a female you are adding, add a young female, you can pretty much add in a female whenever. Occasionally, it may cause a fight from a over-protective momma, but most of the time, adding a female is no problem. If you want to add an older/breeder aged female, wait until the babies are 2 weeks old, or no babies at all in the tub.
    Males, same as older females, just be sure there are no pinks in the tub. 9 times out of 10 there will be no problem, but it's just safer to wait...

If you are pulling the females out to give birth, it doesn't really matter, just add em in, and watch for fighting. Doesn't happen too often, but every once and a while, you may get a little cat fight..
    Of course the best way, is to just hold back your females, and occasionally change out males...

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Started breeding our own rats... question about adding breeders...

- buying new breeders and introducing them into your flow
    or
    - raising up babies that you make and adding them into your flow.
    The best is often to hold back future breeders from your own stocks unless of course the stock you are already working with is poor.

Adding new blood means quarantine, risk of issues, no guarantee that the animals will produce (they could be too old) or have a good production etc.

I originally founded my colony with animals from 3 different sources, at the time I did not know anyone breeding rats and had to settle for pet store rats.

Now 5 years later I have a very strong colony and I no longer bring in new blood, all my animals are selectively bred for their production (I only hold back future breeders from litters of 14 minimum) and temperament (no bitter).
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Thanks - yea the babies wont be in the tubs with the other adults - we will be taking the pregnant females out before giving birth and then raising the babies in a nursery setting We just wanted to make sure we always had enough females circulating when some were in other stages

Quote Originally Posted by jasbus View Post
    I assume you mean adding to a breeding colony...
    If it's a female you are adding, add a young female, you can pretty much add in a female whenever. Occasionally, it may cause a fight from a over-protective momma, but most of the time, adding a female is no problem. If you want to add an older/breeder aged female, wait until the babies are 2 weeks old, or no babies at all in the tub.
    Males, same as older females, just be sure there are no pinks in the tub. 9 times out of 10 there will be no problem, but it's just safer to wait...

If you are pulling the females out to give birth, it doesn't really matter, just add em in, and watch for fighting. Doesn't happen too often, but every once and a while, you may get a little cat fight..
    Of course the best way, is to just hold back your females, and occasionally change out males...

Thanks

That is one of the reasons we decided to start raising our own along with the cost associated with buying then from someone else. We also were running into the issue of the only place local to buy them store wise doesnt carry very many and its hard to meet our demand weekly

Quote Originally Posted by extremeballs View Post
    I am pretty new to this too. But what I prefer is to raise my own to be breeders. Then I know they are healthy. I always wonder about the conditions that my unknown rats come from. And I'd like to know lineage. Even though I am breeding to feed, I want to make the best rats I possibly can. Though I am looking at purchasing a few more females, I prefer to raise my own whenever possible.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,191 Times in 952 Posts

When I decided to add a dumbo female into my colony, I did as was suggested above. I added her when there were no pinks in the tub and no visible prego females. I had no issues. For the most part, I just hold back females from large liters.
    - Greg

Visit our Facebook page: https://www.facebook.com/412Balls/

or our website: http://412balls.weebly.com/

Thanks
    I don't add breeders if possible. I start over or hold back pups. Again, if possible. If not introduce younger females into tubs with females who weaned and separated from a litter 1 - 2 weeks back. I find that these females will care for the little one or find it more so tolerable. I try not to introduce small females with males because the stress of being chased around could induce a myco flare.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Don't worry about myco and adding rats... They can get it from any source, it's not gonna just flare up when you add new rats to your colony just because it can.
    There is no cure for the disease, but it's not the end of the world if a few get it... If I find a rat that I suspect has myco, I usually inject some Baytril and watch the tub for a flare up. After three or four days, it's usually under control, and life goes on. On the rare occasion that is develops further and the babies start acting up,, I just cull them out. In 20+ years, Ive only had to do this a handful of times. There is nothing you can do to stop it, but you can control it. All rats can get it, but it's stress that makes it go out of control..
    If you think you have babies that have myco, in my opinion, just cull them out and let momma and the rest of the tub go. 95 times out of 100 it's done.

And, don't mistake an inner ear infection for myco!!! that happens all the time!

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by jasbus View Post
    Don't worry about myco and adding rats... They can get it from any source, it's not gonna just flare up when you add new rats to your colony just because it can.
    There is no cure for the disease, but it's not the end of the world if a few get it... If I find a rat that I suspect has myco, I usually inject some Baytril and watch the tub for a flare up. After three or four days, it's usually under control, and life goes on. On the rare occasion that is develops further and the babies start acting up,, I just cull them out. In 20+ years, Ive only had to do this a handful of times. There is nothing you can do to stop it, but you can control it. All rats can get it, but it's stress that makes it go out of control..
    If you think you have babies that have myco, in my opinion, just cull them out and let momma and the rest of the tub go. 95 times out of 100 it's done.

And, don't mistake an inner ear infection for myco!!! that happens all the time!
    Mycoplasma pulmonis is carried by domestic Norway rats. Some feral too. When introducing rats the worry for a stressed induced Myco flare that can cause further complications is real. (such as lower respiratory infections)

Culling rats with Myco would leave you with nothing. Culling rats that have become ill or compromised from Myco will happen but controlling stress overall will help you avoid it. Still, you will always have those rats that start a wild fire of sneezing fits. Get rid of them asap and sanitize.

EDIT Jasbus, what dosage do you use of Baytril? Also, good advice about the inner ear infection. I completely forgot about that.
    Last edited by bokuza; 09-22-2011 at 05:33 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast