Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,304

1 members and 3,303 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks

Normal Ball Python

About a month ago I adopted a regular ball python named Monty without knowing what I was getting myself into. I see now that doing so was a disservice to myself and Monty. The friend I adopted him from gave me a twenty gallon tank, a small water dish, a hide, substrate which only covered part of the tank, a smaller tank to keep him in while cleaning his main tank, and a stick for him to crawl around/on.

Since then, I changed his substrate to newspaper, bought a deeper water dish, a UTH, and temperature and humidity gauges. Below are some pictures and a video of him exploring his new environment. If you think the (Petco brand) gauges are insufficient, or are worried that the UTH isn't attached to a temperature on/off switch, don't worry. This is extremely temporary while I save up for some better equipment.

Last edited by PythonHerper; 09-19-2011 at 11:13 AM.

Thanks
    i suggest putting the UTH under the tank. For belly heat which is good when the are digesting food.
    1.0 - Pastel (Striker)
    0.1- Normal (Skully)
    0.1-Siberian Husky (Kina)

Thanks
    X2 also a thermostat is a must for a uth. They get way too hot and can cause burns.
    Can't stop with just one!
    0.2 normal bp's (Crusher and Zoiee)
    1.0 normal burmese (Mitch)

Thanks

Re: Normal Ball Python

I've had this UTH on for about twelve hours and it doesn't seem to be raising the ambient temperature.

Registered User Shadows Valkyrie's Avatar
    Thanks

UTH are good for belly heat only. They do nothing to raise the ambient temp. You need a CHE (ceramic heat emitter) or a blue or red heat bulb. I use the red ones for my bps. Bright white lights can cause stress as they are nocturnal animals.

The UTH really needs to be placed on the bottom of the tank off to one side, under a hide. Make sure he cannot get under the newspaper or you could be facing belly burns. UTH do not regulate their temps themselves which is why you need something to regulate it. I use reptile carpet in my cages. Then I don't worry about them getting under the carpet and getting belly burns. I keep extra pieces on hand so when I need to clean the cage all I have to do is remove the dirty piece and replace with a clean one. Reptile carpet is very easy to clean and is re-usable.

You should have another hide for the snake on the cooler side of the tank as well. That way he doesn't have to choose between warmth and/or security. He is probably out and about roaming so much trying to find security. BPs don't really like wide open spaces. They like to feel secure.....
    Quote Originally Posted by PythonHerper View Post
    I've had this UTH on for about twelve hours and it doesn't seem to be raising the ambient temperature.
    2 BPs - Sorcha & Onyxia
    1 BCI - Wicked
    2 Blue & Gold Macaws - Scootchie & Lady Byrd
    1 Military Macaw - Jada
    1 Lineolated Parakeet - Monkey ...R.I.P. baby girl!
    2 Ferrets - Mischief & Mayhem
    4 Cats - Bailey, Piggy, Mufasa and BeeBee
    African Cichlids
    ASFs
    Rats
    Mice

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Shadows Valkyrie View Post
    Make sure he cannot get under the newspaper or you could be facing belly burns. UTH do not regulate their temps themselves which is why you need something to regulate it. I use reptile carpet in my cages. Then I don't worry about them getting under the carpet and getting belly burns.
    Am reading this correctly, that you're using the reptile carpet as a means to regulate the UTH and to protect from burns? If so, that's bad practice and bad advice to give a new keeper.

An unregulated UTH can get as hot as 120 to 140 degrees. I would also recommend moving the UTH under the tank, but you need to regulate the temp of that UTH with a thermostat, rheostat or at bare minimum, a lamp dimmer. That will prevent the UTH from getting hot enough to burn the snake, whether it burrows below the substrate or not.

Search for the caresheet on this site. It will have all the information you need about a proper BP setup, but it sounds like you're on the right track, at least by coming here and asking for advice...
    Last edited by Inknsteel; 09-19-2011 at 02:08 PM.
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+