Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,236

1 members and 3,235 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

What should I do?

Hi all, So I got my 2 ball pythons in two different tanks, and one of them in the a 10gal keeps going to the top of the tank then he falls and bangs his head pretty hard on the bottom like if hes trying to get out of the tank but then just falls because idk! what could i do? i feel that he could get hurt this way and yes is this weird?

0.0.2 Ball Pythons ( Bobby & Lucky )
    0.1.0 Red Tail Boa ( Romeo )
    1.0.0 Shih Tzu/Pug ( Bear )

Thanks
    Is there stuff in the tank for him to climb on? If you have a heat lamp he may be trying to get closer to the heat. If you have only a heat lamp then him a UTH.

putting some branches in the tank will let him climb on something other then the glass and is (or should be) more stable so he should not keep falling off.
    0.1 Pastel ---Abby---

never stop learning,
    never stop improving,
    and never ever stop fishing--------------<><

www.AndySolomon.com

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    Is this a hatchling/baby BP??? If so, then a 10gal is ok. But if this is an older BP, then he probably needs more room. The smaller tank may not be allowing him to properly thermoregulate by creating the correct thermal gradiant (warm is too close to cool). If he's uncomfortable, he may be stressing and trying to find a way out in order to find the right temps to feel comfy.

If this IS a baby, then try providing a branch. Also make sure you have 2 identical hides - one over the hotspot and one on the cool side. A UTH is better than a lamp as it provides belly heat and your BP does not have to climb to seek out the warmth. Make sure temps are right - 90 on the warm side and 80 ambient. Make sure by using a good t-stat. Don't guess.

A snake that is maintained with proper temps will usually be able to settle and consistantly use their hide boxes. As a general rule, BPs are shy - a hiding BP is a happy BP. A BP that is constantly trying to get out of its enclosure is overly stressed.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

Thanks
    Thanked 4,381 Times in 3,885 Posts
    Blog Entries
    He is probably feeling insecure from the open space and/or his hide not being tight enough. They should have to squish themselves in their hide a bit. You could fill in the open space with fake plants or crumpled newspaper. When I bring home new babies or put hatchlings in their own tubs I always fill them with crumpled newspaper till they are eating good.