Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,166

0 members and 3,166 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

$40 hognose? Buy or not?

Hey guys, I was just browsing the C-list as I do on occasion, and came across 2 month old hogs asking $40 each. Should I jump on it?

I wasnt really planning on getting any new animals really but Ive thought about getting a hog, and a boa, in the past and I think a hog would be much cheaper and suitable for me at the moment. Seems like a good deal?
    This is my signature
    - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - -
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts
    It's a good deal if it's a healthy animal. Hoggies are truly a super cool snake. If nothing else go check it out. I originally saw the ad for the 2 boas i just got on CL, and they were also on Fauna. Took the 90 min trip to the seller's house and was blown away by the quality of his animals and his care of them.
    --Walt

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    I love hoggies! I almost got bit by a baby last week. Poor little thing thought he was so tough...too bad be was the size of a chapstick

On a more serious note, if the animal is healthy and the previous owner took proper care of it it's a good deal. I'd be sure to check every aspect of the owner before you buy it, I'd always be careful when buying an animal on craigslist, especially reptiles.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks

Re: $40 hognose? Buy or not?

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    It's a good deal if it's a healthy animal. Hoggies are truly a super cool snake. If nothing else go check it out. I originally saw the ad for the 2 boas i just got on CL, and they were also on Fauna. Took the 90 min trip to the seller's house and was blown away by the quality of his animals and his care of them.
    I dont see how they couldnt be healthy theyre basically newborns. Craigslist has good deals to be had for sure, but its often hard to find specifics. Im hoping this person is close. I almost bought a hog about a year ago but I couldnt find any for under $80.

Quote Originally Posted by LGray23 View Post
    I love hoggies! I almost got bit by a baby last week. Poor little thing thought he was so tough...too bad be was the size of a chapstick

On a more serious note, if the animal is healthy and the previous owner took proper care of it it's a good deal. I'd be sure to check every aspect of the owner before you buy it, I'd always be careful when buying an animal on craigslist, especially reptiles.
    I think the owner is the breeder, but check the owner? How so lol. I know craigslist isnt the best per-say, but at least you can see the animal in person before you purchase it.
    This is my signature
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts
    Being able to buy in person is great compared to having something shipped from an unknown seller for sure. I contacted the seller of my new boas through CL and his name was in his email. I went to the BOI and found some good guy threads on him and decided to make the trip.
    The majority of time a CL seller is not a breeder though so it can be tough. What was meant by checking them out is when you go to their place take a look at how their animals look and are setup.
    --Walt

6. The Following User Says Thank You to waltah! For This Useful Post:

I<3Dreamsicles (09-16-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by waltah! View Post
    Being able to buy in person is great compared to having something shipped from an unknown seller for sure. I contacted the seller of my new boas through CL and his name was in his email. I went to the BOI and found some good guy threads on him and decided to make the trip.
    The majority of time a CL seller is not a breeder though so it can be tough. What was meant by checking them out is when you go to their place take a look at how their animals look and are setup.
    Will do, If I do. There are actually a ton of snakes for sale by local breeders on craigslist by me. Lots of cornsnakes and a few bp morphs.

Im gonna wait until tomorrow to contact them though because its kind of late :/ well see what happens tomorrow.
    This is my signature
    0.1 Normal BP
    1.0 Green Iguana
    0.1 Dog
    0.1 Cat

Graffiti Is Art
    Judge me

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Dreamsicles View Post
    I dont see how they couldnt be healthy theyre basically newborns. Craigslist has good deals to be had for sure, but its often hard to find specifics. Im hoping this person is close. I almost bought a hog about a year ago but I couldnt find any for under $80.

I think the owner is the breeder, but check the owner? How so lol. I know craigslist isnt the best per-say, but at least you can see the animal in person before you purchase it.
    I have seen plenty of unhealthy babies, of all species. Just because they are babies doesn't mean they are being taken care of.

If I were to buy an animal on craigslist, I'd ask for pictures, multiple pictures, including the enclosure it's being kept in so you have an idea if it's being cared for correctly. I'd personally ask to meet at their house so I can see if any other reptiles were sick, but I know most people don't do that. Check for mites once you have it in hand. I'd be sure it's eaten a few times too. And I'd also have a fecal test done after it's first defecation with me. Call me paranoid, but a cheap reptile isn't worth my whole collection....
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

9. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

I<3Dreamsicles (09-16-2011)

Thanks
    One of the biggest problem of baby hognose snakes is to get them eating. Some lines are much better then others. Some will require more work than others to get eating. I would get a current weight, find out exactly what it is eating and how often. Scenting pinkies is not difficult but if it's something you are not familiar with or do not have access to it can be a real pain. Once they are established they are great eaters normally.

GL

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by I<3Dreamsicles View Post
    Hey guys, I was just browsing the C-list as I do on occasion, and came across 2 month old hogs asking $40 each.
    I wish I only spent $40 for mine!

Theresa in Indy
    1.0 western hognose, 0.0.1 A. versicolor, 1.0 leopard gecko

Thanks
    Thanked 1,374 Times in 1,053 Posts
    $40 is a fine price! Definitely below retail for a hatchling normal, just lower than average market from a breeder (seems to be about $45)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast