Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,053

5 members and 3,048 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,567
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

Monitor eating his substrate?

I got a savannah monitor yesterday, he's really tame and active surprisingly, but i put some crickets in his cage, and he misses and sometimes eats the cypress mulch. Im worried it will get impacted. Could it happen??

Thanks
    yes and that could be very bad. if possible feed outside in separate bin.

Thanks
    Don't put your sav through the stress of a feeding bin, you just got him. Take him off the cypress and put him on a Top soil sand mix, 50/50 or 75soil/25sand, what ever works for you. Keep mixing until you can make a solid ball in your hand that doesn't leak water and doesn't fall right apart.

If a little dirt gets ingested with proper temps, you should be fine but chunks of cypress is a different story, try using tongs as we'll.

Pics of your cage? What are your temps? Just curious.
    Why? Why do humans always look to the sky? Why do you try so hard to fly when you don't have any wings? We'll run on our own legs. - Kiba "Wolf's rain"

Thanks

Re: Monitor eating his substrate?

Alright, thanks. My temps is around 115 in the basking and around 80 in the cool side. I'll post pics, but i really dont have much in his cage, besides a cave made out of a broken clay pot for now. Haven't got paid yet so I havent really got anything to put in his cage.

Thanks
    So.....

You have a new baby V. exanthematicus and you're broke. Besides the obvious housing problem you have do you know what it costs to feed these guys?

I suggest re-homing; quickly.

Don't mean to seem harsh but varanids are about the most expensive reptile you can own.

Chris
    "That cute little lizard in the pet shop will, in a few short years, become an enormous, ferocious carnivore; capable of breaking the family cat's neck in a single snap and swallowing it whole." - Daniel Bennett

passion.herp
    passionherp.com
    info@passionherp.com
    facebook.com/passion.herp

6. The Following User Says Thank You to mumps For This Useful Post:

slayer (09-16-2011)

Thanks
    Yeah, i do. It's fine. I thought it was gonna be simple as a uro, or skink lol. But I have him in a 75 gallon that i used to have for my iguana that "ran away" as my dad told me when i was younger. His enclosure is closed so the humidity is trapped in. Imma make him a custom cage, by the time he outgrows his 75 gallon i should be done.

Thanks
    Forget the tank and start working on the custom cage right away, make a 8x4 and just section half off for now. Or what ever works, you deff need to raise your basking temps though, 115f is no good, you want 130f.

Check this site out,
    http://savannahmonitor.org/
    Why? Why do humans always look to the sky? Why do you try so hard to fly when you don't have any wings? We'll run on our own legs. - Kiba "Wolf's rain"