Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,064

1 members and 3,063 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,126
Threads: 248,569
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Stephendici

View Poll Results: Het X Homo vs. Het X Codom/Het?

Voters
20. You may not vote on this poll
  • Het X Homo (Het. Pied X Pied)

9 45.00%
  • Het X Codom/Het (Het. Pied X Pastel/Het. Pied)

11 55.00%
  • Neither, that's why I only work with codoms.

0 0%
    Thanks

Het/Homo or Het/Double Het?

I have a few projects coming up and I'm unsure how to proceed. Would you try the odds or go for the (semi) sure thing?

For example: Piebald X Pastel/Het. Piebald vs. Pastel Het. Piebald X Pastel Het. Piebald? There are many examples with Het. morphs, but you get the gist.

-Lawrence

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Govfor the super, if you hit just one it will pay off

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Depends on your patience, space and budget

I would go Pastel Het Pied X Pied
    Deborah Stewart

Thanks

Re: Het/Homo or Het/Double Het?

Quote Originally Posted by Deborah View Post
    Depends on your patience, space and budget

I would go Pastel Het Pied X Pied
    Ack! That wasn't an option.

The problem is that your Pied is a male and you only have a Het. Pied female, so do you breed the male Pied or the Pastel Het. Pied male to the female? It's either that or fork out a few bucks on a breeder sized Pastel/Het. Pied female.

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Oooo tough choice,

Taking the sale of the hatchlings out of the picture I'd have to go for the pastel het pied male to the female het pied.

Just for the possible jackpot.

The downside of maybe finding the babies harder to move on as poss hets would be an acceptable trade off for me.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

6. The Following User Says Thank You to dr del For This Useful Post:

xdeus (09-13-2011)

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by xdeus View Post

The problem is that your Pied is a male and you only have a Het. Pied female, so do you breed the male Pied or the Pastel Het. Pied male to the female? It's either that or fork out a few bucks on a breeder sized Pastel/Het. Pied female.
    Well if your a gambler got het x het however if your not lucky and don't hit on those odds you will be left with a bunch if babies that are not worth very much as far as business goes.
    Deborah Stewart

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

xdeus (09-13-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,606 Times in 618 Posts

I voted based on your example. I thought that was an actual possibility. If you only have a Het Pied girl, and a Pied and Pastel Het male, I would do the Pastel Het to Het (in an attempt to hit the Pastel Pied). However, in the event of your example, I would do the Pied to Pastel Het (vs. Pastel Het to Pastel Het), as I would want a better shot at Pastel Pieds. Then the following year you could put the Pastel Pied to Pastel Het to up your odds at Super Pastel Pieds.

I did something very similar this past year. I had a Pastel Het Pied girl that was ready. My choices were Pied male or Pewter Het. While the Pewter Het could have given me some cooler stuff, I wanted to try and up my odds on getting a Pastel Pied to replace my regular Pied male. So I went with the Pied male. Now, I did get lucky in another clutch and made a Cinny Pied male that will probably see the Pastel Het girl this year.

I hope that helps,
    Tim Bailey
    (A.K.A. MBM or Art Pimp)
    www.baileyreptiles.com
    The Blog

10. The Following User Says Thank You to muddoc For This Useful Post:

xdeus (09-13-2011)

Thanks

Thanks, Tim. That does help with my decision as I'm going to be facing those choices pretty soon.

Quote Originally Posted by muddoc View Post
    I voted based on your example. I thought that was an actual possibility. If you only have a Het Pied girl, and a Pied and Pastel Het male, I would do the Pastel Het to Het (in an attempt to hit the Pastel Pied). However, in the event of your example, I would do the Pied to Pastel Het (vs. Pastel Het to Pastel Het), as I would want a better shot at Pastel Pieds. Then the following year you could put the Pastel Pied to Pastel Het to up your odds at Super Pastel Pieds.

I did something very similar this past year. I had a Pastel Het Pied girl that was ready. My choices were Pied male or Pewter Het. While the Pewter Het could have given me some cooler stuff, I wanted to try and up my odds on getting a Pastel Pied to replace my regular Pied male. So I went with the Pied male. Now, I did get lucky in another clutch and made a Cinny Pied male that will probably see the Pastel Het girl this year.

I hope that helps,

-Lawrence

Thanks
    Tough choice. Sure things arn't always as fun though. Business choice is obvious, but I say go for the hot ones.
    Over 60...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts

For example: Piebald X Pastel/Het. Piebald vs. Pastel Het. Piebald X Pastel Het. Piebald? There are many examples with Het. morphs, but you get the gist.
    well lets look at this...

50/50 shot for male/female. Snakes I would personally want to keep, pastel pied, male or female, female pastel het pied. so 37.5% chance for something I want to keep.

Killer pied, pastel pied male or female, super pastel pos het pied female. so 28.125% chance for something I would want to keep.

So even tho there is a small chance for something worth way more money and more valuable breeding wise, I still see the codom/het x homo a better option for me personally. What you want might be different.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

xdeus (09-15-2011)