Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,393

2 members and 3,391 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

New Red Eared Slider

So i get home yesterday and my brother proudly shows me his new pet turtle... and he starts asking me care questions like i know what im talking about (because i had a BP).... so basically he picked up a turtle without doing ANY research and i want to make sure he doesnt kill the poor thing.... are there any good care sheets for tank set-ups... smart tips... etc

thanks
    Alex
    {1.0.0 ball pythons- MONTYcurently being fostered}
    0.3.0 older sisters
    3.0.0 older brother-in-laws
    3.0.0 little brothers
    0.1.0 cutest lil sister ever
    New!!! just added!!!3.0.0. nephew!

Registered User Animals As Leaders's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: New Red Eared Slider

What your brother did sounds a lot like what I did when I bought my slider lol. I went to petco and they had an adoption thing going, and they had one named demon lol. He was the meanest slider in the world, and was only 5 dollars. I had to have him! Big mistake.....I'm in no way trying to discourage you from caring for the turtle, they are awesome animals! But, I think they are one of the harder species to care for in the pet industry. First off, they get BIG! Mine was the size of a small dinner plate in no time! They will need 125 gallon tank or bigger when fully grown. They will also require frequent water changes, and a hefty filter!! I had a Fluval Fx-5, and that thing couldn't keep up with him! They are extremely dirty animals!! Their diet is very complex and requires a lot of variety from live plants, to live prey. Mine was extremely picky, and would NEVER eat vegetables when I offered them. Loved rosey reds though! UVB/UVA lighting is a MUST! They love to bask and require UVB in order to be a healthy animal.
    I gave my turtle to a friend who happens to be a turtle expert, and no longer care for him. He was TOO much work for me, and I felt I fell short to his needs. I also bought him out of impulse, and felt bad for him as no one wanted him. Just let him know the amount of care that goes into caring for them properly. A lot of people buy one and keep it in a 55 gallon tank, and this is NOT enough. Not even kind of...The biggest factor I think that he needs to think about is the space. Like I said earlier, a 125 gallon tank is necessary in order to keep it sanitary. That's a big tank! I felt the 125 was even small....I always though a 250 would suffice, but I don't have the money or time to invest in something like that. I feel horrible for giving him away, but I feel better knowing he went to someone who can deal with him. I got SOO frustrated with trying to get him to eat greens, and less "junk." They're pretty smart animals and KNOW they will get what they want if they hold out lol. Good luck!
    Last edited by Animals As Leaders; 09-11-2011 at 11:16 PM.