Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,132

0 members and 2,132 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,124
Threads: 248,568
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Rai
    Thanks

My snake poop story- Warning, kind of a gross thread...

OMG. I can't believe I am actually writing this. I never thought in my wildest dreams I would be helping my snake poo...and then writing about it. But I don't know what to do:

Ok. This morning I wrote my Althea update. She seemed like she was doing good. So tonight I was like hey what's up and she seemed like she was doing pretty well. I put her near her water dish to see if she was thirsty, she wasn't but was acting like she was in a good mood. So I let her crawl onto her little piece of driftwood (it's not that big, you can see it in my pics) and she climbed down, in total control, strong, no problem... but then she just kind of laid there. Usually she goes straight for her cave with the UTH. But this time she didn't.

So like 15 minutes later she still hadn't moved. So I was like ?! I picked her up and put her in the middle of the tank, nothing there, so she could go where ever she wanted. 15 minutes later she was still just laying there. Not in ball, just laying there long. Again I'm like wtf.

I picked her up, held her near her water, and just like this morning, she started drinking, while I was holding her! It's like her new thing. Have I spoiled her rotten so she thinks she's fancy being held to drink? And mind you when I feel her move and stuff, she's not weak. Here is where I am wondering if I've lost it because I never thought I would be helping my snake take a poo.

I don't know who all has been reading any of my posts, but a few days ago I took Althea to the place I got her from, was told my tank was too hot, etc. (It's all fixed now. Warm spot - 88.9, far corner 78, humidity 63). Anyway, at the same store he soaked her for me and squeezed some poop out. I knew she was constipated (dehydration and constipation go together.) So... I didn't see it but he said a little bit of blood came out, but she'd be fine, kind of like when it happens to people. (Just a little... happens to the best of us every now and again, right?)

So... after she drank I put her down and she seemed a little more lively again..but then the tip of her tail went up and she just sat there. I could tell she was pushing, but not quite getting the job done and she didn't want to move. So I figured, what the hell. And I started to help work it on out towards her tail and sure enough... she pooped. It wasn't hard poo, but it was liquidy brownish red (mostly brown) and then some white goo came out, then a little more brownish liquid. And it was A LOT. Just kept on comin. And I've been soaking her every other day because she STILL has old skin and trying to help the hydration issue.)

Now please don't think I was hurting her, I really didn't squeeze hard, only with 2 fingers. Just kind of helped her out... I think. It was quite a bit of stuff (I think) and was probably from the little fuzzy she had on Friday (timing seems about right, right??) She never hissed or coiled or turned around or tried to rush off or anything, it was almost like she knew I was helping her. Then she had a little white dot that was kind of stuck on there and I wiped it with a kleenex (I know... I actually wiped my snake's butt) and afterwards she really and truly was moving around much, much better after that and is acting how I think is more normal. She went into a corner and is more curled up instead of just laying out all long.

So I'm thinking maybe she was laying out all long because she had all that poo in there and so it's harder to move and curl your tail around how you want it and stuff. It makes sense.. I mean generally if you have a poo that's not working out the way it ought to then you get crampy, etc and you feel better once it's out.

I guess I'm writing this hoping that people will tell me I'm not crazy (although writing a detailed post about snake poo this long makes me wonder about myself) and that I did the right thing by helping her. Like I said, she never tried to be mean or hiss, maybe it made her job a little easier? And what's with her drinking if I hold her near her water now? It's like her new favorite thing. Does anyone else's snake do this?! She is spoiled. Oh and something else!! I think lately when she has to poo she won't flick her tongue out, but she had her tongue going and seemed more active after we got the poo out.

I am really questioning my sanity as I click the Submit New Thread button. I need a drink and kind of hoping I'm not the only one who has ever helped their snake poo.
    Dawn
    1.0 HIB (Cinder)
    0.1 KSB (Vicious)

0.1 American Warmblood (Moo - Sudden Eclipse)
    1.0 Oldenburg (Nova - Saint Supernova)
    0.1 Doberman Pinscher (Tira)
    0.1 Miniature Pinsher (Bitty)

2. The Following User Says Thank You to SuddenEclipse For This Useful Post:

piedplus (12-01-2011)

Thanks

Thanks

Re: My snake poop story- Warning, kind of a gross thread...

Hahaha. Best post ever! I love it. You know you love you snake when...

Thanks
    Hahaha
    Dawn
    1.0 HIB (Cinder)
    0.1 KSB (Vicious)

0.1 American Warmblood (Moo - Sudden Eclipse)
    1.0 Oldenburg (Nova - Saint Supernova)
    0.1 Doberman Pinscher (Tira)
    0.1 Miniature Pinsher (Bitty)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Thanks for the smile!

No you are no alone I have had a snake whom was constipated (proven with X-Rays) it sounds more like a big pee than poo to be white stuff is urnates much like a bird and the liquid is also urine that is always a good sign that there is lots of liquid good hydration.

Poo looks well like poo, cat poo kinda or fox. I don't believe that your snake is badly constipated that palpitation is needed. constipation is not common and it looks and feels very odd and wrong actually like a balloon with hard bits in it. soaking is likely enough. Some small snakes go all the time some once in 2 months they are all different as long as there is no swelling bloating of weird lumps near the cloaca things are likely fine.

Thanks
    Good morning, at least I had some coffee. And this is why I keep browsing, looking for things I need to know. I have helped kittens and pups poo, why not a snake.

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Where do I start?

I know you are trying to help your animal in your own way however all this added stress really was not necessary!

How do I know? I seriously doubt your BP suffered any blockage.

You are underfeeding your BP and therefore assuming it is a very young animal it utilizes the entire prey for it's growth, hence why your animal does not defecate.

Fuzzies are not proper prey item for a BP, most of them are started on hopper mice or rat crawlers.

Additionally your BP does not need your help to drink

There are good intention beyond your actions however what you do is not gonna help in the long run but cause you additional problems.
    Deborah Stewart

9. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Stewart_Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Jessica Loesch (09-12-2011),somdballs (10-23-2015)

Thanks
    Nice post. I just fed my girl for the first time Saturday so no poo yet. Almost makes me look forward to my snakes first poo
    0.1 Pastel ---Abby---

never stop learning,
    never stop improving,
    and never ever stop fishing--------------<><

www.AndySolomon.com

BPnet Senior Member meowmeowkazoo's Avatar
    Thanks
    I've found that letting the snake soak in warm water for 10-20 minutes really seems to help loosen things up.
    [Python regius]
    1.0 Black Butter Pinstripe (Amazeballs), 1.0 Pastel Butter Leopard (Thunderbeeper)
    0.1 Spider (Charlotte), 0.1 Leopard (Spot), 0.1 Pastel (Buttercup), Fire Sugar (Abaddon), Crystal (Opalescence)

[Python brongersmai]
    1.1 T+ Albino (Kushiel & Carmilla)

[Boa imperator]
    1.0 Hypo 100% Het Leopard/66% Het Albino (Darcy)
    0.1 66% Het Leopard/Albino (Gabby)

[Colubrids]
    0.1 Cave-dwelling Rat Snakes (Betty Spaghetti)