Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,386

1 members and 1,385 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

My Ball Python Experience...so far

Hello!
    I have had many animals but this has been my first ball python. I wanted to share my experience with everyone, and mostly first time owners or people who are wanting to get a ball python.
    My gf got him for my birthday as a suprise from PetSmart, and she got a 10 gallon glass aquarium and screen lid, and a snake/reptile kit with a heat pad, 2 dial type thermometers and a dial type hydrometer in it. I got home and set up his tank and when I got him out as I was checking him out he had mites, the little white ones running around his face. The feeding sheet that came with him said he ate, but only once that month and it was 3 weeks ago. So I started researching and kinda got worried...especially after I found out PetSmart carries captive born BPs. I also realized he was really dehydrated, with wrinkles down his neck and side of his body.
    So after hours of research (alot on this website) I decided to not return him and just take proper care of him. I started by letting him soak in water for about 30 min with just a tiny drop of dish soap to kill the mites, I just dropped the soap in the water, I did not make it bubbly. I did not use any other chemicals, and I also cleaned his tank and bedding. I made sure to run the water over his head also, thats where I saw the mites. I watched him the next few days and I never saw the mites again.
    So I let a week go by and decided to try and feed him. I let a mouse thaw, and offered it to him, he didn't want it. So I used the blow dryer on hot setting, as soon as I lowered the mouse in he took it like a starved crazy snake. So I was feeling alot better at this point.
    Finally my thermostat for the UTH came in the mail, I hooked it up and things were seeming great. I got paid so I went to walmart and got a Acu Rite digital thermometer, hooked it up in the tank and what I found out I was shocked. The dial hydrometer was reading 65% humidity, I placed wet towles over the screen to help his dehydration....but the Acu Rite was reading...34%. OMG this whole time hes been dehydrated and the stupid dial was 30% Off - lesson, never use dials. That snake kit was garbage for 20 dollars. I also got a Sterilite plastic tub, sodering iron, and new aspen bedding (until I can find some of the coconut kind) and set up a new enclosure for him.
    Since I first got him he has eating once a week, without a problem at all. I move him to another tub to feed I dont want him eating aspen bedding. Since I moved him from an aquarium to a plastic container the heat has stayed perfect and it hold the humidity without any problems. I have never seen another mite and he has some wrinkles by his head but not down his body, and hes getting some meat on his bones.
    So, for anyone who is about to get a BP or having trouble with your aquarium a few tips from a beginner who went though all that...
    Start with a plastic container/ or a real BP enclosure, don't, don't, don't use dial type thermometers or hydrometers. If you get a BP at a pet store your gonna pay 50 dollars more than from a breeder or reptile show. If your snake has mites, don't stress it, let him soak in water they drown. Have fun and feel free to share your experience on this thread
    Copper - my knucklehead 2 year old Dachshund
    Leo - Regular Ball Python 8 months old - mouse assassin

music - www.saboduh.podomatic.com

2. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Saboduh For This Useful Post:

Simple Man (09-09-2011),Tree (09-09-2011)

Thanks
    Ive had the same issues with crap dial thermometers/hydrometers. For the longest time i couldnt get my ball pythons to have a good shed and guess what. same deal. dial hydrometer was off completely.

Thanks
    It sounds like everything turned out for you, I'm glad you stuck with it!

Thanks
    ive had almost the same issue but luckily i didnt have mites on mine because to get him i ordered through the pet store straight from a breeder in illinois so i picked him up literally 30 minutes after he got in the store. i got a 10 gal glass aquarium, dial thermo, heating pad, light and thats about it.at first i didnt know about this site but i found it about a week later and after a week or so of reading i completely redid his habitat. i just got a second bp and just put him straight in a tub so we'll see how this one goes.

Thanks

Re: My Ball Python Experience...so far

Quote Originally Posted by Saboduh View Post
    I also got a Sterilite plastic tub, sodering iron, and new aspen bedding (until I can find some of the coconut kind) and set up a new enclosure for him.

I have the coconut bedding and yep it rocks. I was worried about my snake not liking it. She was on cypress mulch at the breeders. She seems to like the new bedding.

I spray the coconut down once a day and the humidity level stay in that 55-75% range.

No mites yet
    0.1 Pastel ---Abby---

never stop learning,
    never stop improving,
    and never ever stop fishing--------------<><

www.AndySolomon.com

Thanks
    Sounds good so far, but I wouldn't be so sure you're in the clear as far as mites go. Soaking them in water with dish soap will generally drown the adult mites on the snake, but won't do anything with the mite EGGS that had probably already been laid. Usually, those eggs will start to hatch within a few weeks and you're going to find yourself infested again.

I would highly recommend removing the wood substrate and switching your bp to paper towels for the time being. Go online and search for Provent-a-Mite and order a can. That stuff is worth its weight in gold and is the only product I trust for really getting rid of mites. Once you order it, follow the instructions on the can exactly (treat the enclosure only, do not spray directly on the snake. Lightly coat the enclosure and let FULLY dry before putting the snake back in) and you will be rid of the mites for good...

Good luck!
    Kevin Johnson
    0.2 Normal BP -- 0.1 Pastel BP -- 0.1 Spider BP -- 0.1 Het Red Axanthic BP -- 0.1 Ghost dinker
    2.1 Het Pied BP
    1.0 Lesser Bee BP -- 1.0 Pastel Yellowbelly BP -- 1.0 Mojave BP -- 1.0 Black Pastel BP -- 1.0 Cinny (poss het ghost) -- 1.0 Champagne

1.0 Irian Jaya Carpet Python

1.0 Hypo/Hog Island Boa

iHerp
    Facebook
    Google+

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    What a great thread! Keep up the good work and let this be a lesson to new ball python owners. Thanks for sharing

Regards,

B

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

If you are interested in getting some Provent-A-Mite, you can order it here:

http://www.pro-products.com/
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

thanks for all the replys. As for the mites, I did replace the aspen bedding with paper towels and its been around 2 months and he has shed since I still have yet to see any mites. He is in his new home now with aspen bedding again.

He eats really well and I think im gonna try to move him up too rat pinkies.

There is a reptile show coming up this month in Irving TX cant wait and hopefully find a decently priced morph to get
    Copper - my knucklehead 2 year old Dachshund
    Leo - Regular Ball Python 8 months old - mouse assassin

music - www.saboduh.podomatic.com