Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,393

0 members and 3,393 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast
    Thanks

Banana males taking a 20K price drop!!??

So rumor has it Ozzy is offering his newly produced banana males for 30k a piece. I have been waiting for the first drop in the banana market to take place this year. I mean really, Brock is pumping out the males, plus Chun, John at albinos unlimited with multiple males and females including one male thats most likely a super and some kid in CA, I believe his name is Keo (?) , Micheal Powell and not to mention Brocks friends within his inner circle he off loaded males too early on, Brad Boa and others. On top of that NERD has a TON of females ( that produce males) and males that produce males!!! Not to mention everyone else who has them that we don’t know about. What about the male TSK produced? How many more males is that producing? Not to mention tri stripe bananas maybe even tri stripe banana males!! Now throw into this giant mix of males that most of these people dont like each other. Things can get ulgly pretty quick. Rumor has it there are so many males that these breeders don’t know what to do with them. I know a few have sold but theres not enough people with 50k to match the amount of males produced and most likely the same goes for females at 10k or so. Guess some one had to be the first to under cut the market. No wonder Ozzy is cutting the price down. Cant keep a market over inflated for ever, but how do you feel if your one of the guy who already paid 50k? They will most likely make their money back and then some( which is why you invest in the first place ) That is, unless Ozzy chops it another 40% or more next year.

Thanks
    I think the guy that made the price drop is smart. no use sitting on animals you arent going to do anything with. and if people buy from you and you have great animals to sell you become the default go to guy for that morph. I say good for him for having the guts to do it, and it sucks that you just paid 50k for a snake. Should realize that a morph only stays at that price for and extremely short period of time these days.

and its a co-dom so that makes its value much more likely to sink fast and hard.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tcutting For This Useful Post:

Jason Bowden (09-07-2011),Redneck_Crow (09-07-2011)

Thanks
    I don't think that the market was overinflated. When there is only one or a few of something and demand is high the price is going to be high, and the rarity justifies it. Once people begin breeding morph animals and they become more common the price naturally will go down. You can't keep a morph's price high when their number increases--the guy who dropped the price is a realist and understands that.

One day bananas will be right were the albinos and pieds are now. Less expensive, and I like that because it will give more people an opportunity to not only own these animals but to work with combining them with other genes. I could have never afforded to buy my pied when they first hit the market. I'm happy that they've come down enough that I can afford to enjoy owning her.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Prices ALWAYS drop at that magic point where there is enough animals produced to actually have a sales-vs-customers line. At that moment, the price drops dramatically. Everyone who was willing to pay $50K already has the animals they want.

It's the natural progression in pricing of new morphs. If you want in on the first tier, you buy the high price first animals available. If you're okay being a couple steps behind in breeding, you wait for the price drop.

Simple.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

6. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

AaronP (09-08-2011),HerpetualObscurity (10-17-2013),loonunit (09-07-2011),purplemuffin (09-09-2011),Redneck_Crow (09-07-2011),tcutting (09-07-2011)

Thanks

Re: Banana males taking a 20K price drop!!??

I wouldn't feel too bad for those investing in the high stakes snake business today. This isn't the early to mid-2000s where average Joes were mortgaging their houses to buy snakes. Pretty much everyone you mentioned knows how this market works. Prices won't remain high on any bp morphs.

8. The Following User Says Thank You to MarkieJ For This Useful Post:

Redneck_Crow (09-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,721 Times in 1,477 Posts
    This is classic supply and demand, not just snakes its everything

10. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to OhhWatALoser For This Useful Post:

cdavidson9 (09-08-2011),loonunit (09-07-2011),Redneck_Crow (09-07-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,252 Times in 931 Posts
    Maybe just a leetle price drop is all it needs to really make the morph take off. Of course many people don't make that much in a year so maybe not
    --Walt

Thanks
    I agree with everyone else. It was gonna happen sooner or later. In 5 years they will be selling for around 1000 but thats just how it works. But by the time that happens there will be another morph out that will be worth 50k. The people that can afford to pay that and be the first to breed it do that beacuse in the first few years there gonna make a killing on those guys. And thats why they do it. They know that price wont last long but the first year they get them to breed they make there money back.

Plus getting a new morph on the markets lets them have the advantage of creating the next new morph out there.
    BPs
    Ive lost count

Thanks
    If someone is breeding for profit, there are still plenty of opportunities. Multiple gene animals are going to be where breeders can make their future profits, and there are plenty of combos that have been made and many that haven't, so if anything the opportunites are better than for the person breeding single gene new morphs. A person could buy a banana male, breed it to a couple of pied females, and be making himself "banana pies" in 3-4 years and return a good profit on the investment. Banana clowns, desert bananas--I can't wait until someones makes this stuff, I really want to see it.
    "Why I Have Grey Hair," the story of my life:

The cast: 0.1 het pied, Minnie, "Heartless." 0.1 pied, Dorothy, "The Girl Next Door." 0.1 mojave, Lily, "Stuck Up Little Princess." 0.1 pastel yb, Marilyn, "The Bombshell." 0.1 normal, Miss Maenad, "Femme Fatale." 1.0 dinker, Darth Jackass, "Scum of the Earth." 1.0 piebald, Mickey, "A Really Nice Guy." 1.0 jigsaw, Kaa, "The Young Dude." 0.1 cinnamon, Hera, "If Looks Could Kill" 0.1 pastel, Luna, "If It Moves, Eat It"

Recently joined by Badger and Honey, 1.1 spotnoses.

...and an ever-changing host of supporting actors and actresses: rat and ASF.

BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    Only $30,000!? I better break open the piggy bank.
    Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails

Page 1 of 7 1234567 LastLast