Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,217

2 members and 1,215 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,580
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Humidity problems

We just bought our first ball python last week and we cannot seem to raise the humidity high enough. We've been looking online trying to figure out what to do to fix it, but nothing seems to be working. We have an large exo terra tank 36x18x18, two hides (cool side and warm side), aspen substrate, UTH & a red 50w ceramic light(the UTH wasn't enough) and a water dish. With all of this we were running 86-88 temp and only high 30-low 40% humidity. So we bought a waterfall hoping to increase the humidity, but it lowered it now without misting its getting down to 24%. We have a mesh lid and have the cool side covered. I'm starting to wonder if we are missing something completely obvious to solving this problem. I really like this snake and I don't want to him to get sick because of something were are missing. FYI we have a Flukers digital hydrometer placed on the warm side middle of the glass, if this info is handy???
    Any info would be grateful

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Do you have a thermostat for your UTH?

You can always just provide a humid hide. With the lamp it is drying up the humidity, and with such a large tank it will be hard to raise in the entire tank. If you search "humid hides" on here there are quite a few good ideas. Good luck
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (09-05-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    You can also cover most of the mesh top with something like aluminum foil, or plastic...just something to keep the humidity in...
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Re: Humidity problems

Try covering the entire screen with aluminum foil except right where the lamp sits. Also, you can try placing the water bowl under the lamp or over the uth, or maybe using a larger water bowl. Wider would be better than deeper because the larger surface area of the water will help the humidity.

If I remember correctly, those Exo-Terra tanks also have vent holes along the front, under the doors, so if you have any fans or a/c vents blowing nearby, that could affect your humidity as well.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

Thank you for the replies, i think i will try the water bowl and plastic wrap idea first and see how that does. I do not have a therm for the UTH just the one on the glass. Also i fed him last Monday and he seems active and healthy but he has not pooped that i know of. i have found urates but no poop should i feed him again tomorrow?

Thanks
    This is why a rack system or a tub is the best way to go, just put the water dish over the uth and its going to go up, no need to boost up your temps or anything keep it at 90% keep in mind humidty is moisture in the air, not condesation, therefore misting is okay but its not constant

Thanks
    My humidity is rather low in my house too. What I did was to cover the top with foil, put my heat lamp (to keep up the cool side temps) over the water bowl, and lay a damp wash cloth over the lid. It bumped the humidity level about 15% in the first day.
    0.0.1 Normal BP (Boomerang aka Boomer)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.kaa View Post
    I do not have a therm for the UTH just the one on the glass.
    You should have a thermometer on the glass, these are to measure air temp and humidity.............get a digital if you dont have one already.

You need a thermostat to regulate the heat pad, IT WILL get too hot and could burn your little one

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (09-05-2011),Skittles1101 (09-05-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Be careful covering most of the ventilation of your tank there is lots of evidence relating low ventilation humidity and respiratory issues.

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ons-The-Basics

Humid hides are the easiest solution.

Thanks
    You can also place a wet rag. Wet enough but not dripping. That will bring up the humid level. Also a thermostat is very important. UTH can get over 100 degrees and cook your snake.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast