Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,392

2 members and 3,390 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,011 Times in 1,840 Posts

B. dubia, what is this?

I have seen the mating and the babies running around but I have never seen this I would guess she is giving birth?

Jeff Bernard

2. The Following User Says Thank You to Boanerges For This Useful Post:

EverEvolvingExotics (09-03-2011)

Thanks
    That is a sign of the female about to give birth. They'll walk around with it "hanging" from the back of them. It's odd looking for sure. But cool in the same respect.
    Bp's
    2.0 normal; 1.1 pastel; 0.1 pinstripe

T's
    0.5 Arizona Blonde; 1.1 A. Metallica; 0.1.1 A. Versicolor; 1.0 Mexican Fireleg; 0.1 B. Smithi; 1.1 B. Vagans; 0.1.1 GBB; 0.0.1 Rose-hair; 0.0.1 A. Brock; 0.2 G. Pulchripes; 0.1.1 P. Irminia; 0.0.3 P. Metallica; 0.0.1 OBT; 0.1 C. Fasciatum; 0.0.2 E. Murinus; 0.1 H. Gigas; 0.0.5 LP; 0.0.2 P. Regalis

Other: 1.0.2 chuckwala; 0.0.1 toad; 0.1 beta fish; 0.1 dog; 0.1 cat; 1.0 king snake
    Boarding: 0.1 Bearded Dragon

4. The Following User Says Thank You to Nektu For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (09-02-2011)

Thanks

Re: B. dubia, what is this?

That is the dubia's egg sack, basically they become fertile, push out the egg sack then using their lower legs maneuver it back into a different "pouch" where it will internally incubate. It is not a sign that they're about to give "birth", but it means you'll have little ones in about 4 weeks.

Btw, if you see them lying around in your bin then that means your females are dropping them. This is bad, and means either your females are being harassed while trying to move them or humidity could be off or a number of other potentials.

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Trogdorpheus For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (09-02-2011),Nektu (09-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Nektu View Post
    That is a sign of the female about to give birth. They'll walk around with it "hanging" from the back of them. It's odd looking for sure. But cool in the same respect.
    Thanks!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Trogdorpheus View Post
    That is the dubia's egg sack, basically they become fertile, push out the egg sack then using their lower legs maneuver it back into a different "pouch" where it will internally incubate. It is not a sign that they're about to give "birth", but it means you'll have little ones in about 4 weeks.

Btw, if you see them lying around in your bin then that means your females are dropping them. This is bad, and means either your females are being harassed while trying to move them or humidity could be off or a number of other potentials.
    Thanks!! I have never and don't currently see any just laying around so that is a good thing it seems. Heat and humidity are good and they are feed good food along with water crystals and they have constant orange halves in the enclosure at all times. Thank you very much for that info though as that was something I did not know and will definitely keep that in mind
    Jeff Bernard

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Kinda looks like she is aborting her ootheca in this one. My discoids do it when they are really stressed like from a move. Like Trogdor said, just make sure husbandry is right and it should fix itself.

Angela

9. The Following User Says Thank You to aldebono For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (09-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by aldebono View Post
    Kinda looks like she is aborting her ootheca in this one. My discoids do it when they are really stressed like from a move. Like Trogdor said, just make sure husbandry is right and it should fix itself.
    I just got in 200 adult females yesterday to add to my colony. Maybe she was one of those females and is stressed from shipping. I don't see them laying around or anything and husbandry is a easy part to keep right with them especially compared to some of the tarantulas I keep. I will keep an eye on everything though. For the most part I don't really mess with them often though as to not disturb them much.

Edit: I peeked in to see how she was doing and she has moved so I have no idea how she is making out now. I am not routing though the colony to find her. She will either lay them or absorb them or drop the sac I guess. Either way she should be fine. I will just keep an eye out on everything. Thanks for the comments everyone!!! Much appreciated!!
    Last edited by Boanerges; 09-02-2011 at 11:22 AM.
    Jeff Bernard

Thanks
    Thats an aborted egg sac

12. The Following User Says Thank You to 2kdime For This Useful Post:

Boanerges (09-02-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by 2kdime View Post
    Thats an aborted egg sac
    Awesome Guess I am not getting any babies from her Had to be one of the ones that just came in Thanks Trevor
    Jeff Bernard

BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanks for this post, it will be something to look for when I get my colony in a few weeks.
    Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails