Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,297

2 members and 3,295 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast
    BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    Depends on the state and country you live in. But most wont require one for reptiles as mammals are a lot different.

Thanks
    I've been going through last year's return and I'm trying to figure out what all of this crap means and what I should be doing to prepare for future returns/audits. I probably should have done this before I started buying snakes for business purposes, but whatever.

• What tax code are you guys using? Does it matter too much? The CPA put code 115210 "Support Activities for Animal Production" on my Schedule C and listed the profession as "Animal Husbandry".

• How do you represent your animals to the IRS (if at all) on the Schedule C. And if you don't, why not? All of my snake purchases were totaled up and listed as inventory last year. Do I now have to create each snake as an inventory item in QuickBooks and keep track of them?

Is any of this good or bad either way? Something I should try to correct before this year's return is filed?

Maybe I should actually go find a CPA experienced with this garbage and speak to them

Thanks
    I'm just starting to gather receipts and calculate milage etc getting ready for taxes. Any advice?
    Over 60...

Thanks

Re: Breeding and the IRS

Quote Originally Posted by LotsaBalls View Post
    I'm just starting to gather receipts and calculate milage etc getting ready for taxes. Any advice?
    I would keep track of all of your expenses categorically. It helps to know exactly where your money is going, what needs to be changed, how much money to set aside for the next year, etc.

For instance, yesterday I discovered that we have spent almost twice as much on more startup/upgrade costs (racks, tubs/bowls/hides, thermostats, etc) than we did on snakes last year. $4K was purchased feeder rats for the first half of the year before our ASFs took off. Another $4K for food/bedding/plumbing/ventilation/heating/rack building supplies for the rats. So initially I was shocked that we spent $8K on rats last year, but digging deeper realized that only about $1K of that was rat food/bedding, and the majority of that was for the 2nd half of the year. Now we know to set aside around $2K for rats this year.

QuickBooks was a huge annoying PITA to set up (for me anyway), but now that it is I will keep using it to track every dime. I think a lot of people use spreadsheets like this one that just surfaced:

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...wpost&t=299949
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Thanks
    Thanked 2,114 Times in 845 Posts

I organize everything and hand it to my CPA. Some things are worth paying for and this one is high on my list.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Dave Green View Post
    I organize everything and hand it to my CPA. Some things are worth paying for and this one is high on my list.
    This is what I would like to do, my wife will want me to do everything though.
    Over 60...

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks

To add to what Rich said, if you get classified as a hobby (unable to make a profit 3 out of 5 years), you can't deduct more than you owe. Put another way, you can't deduct it as a loss. So if you make $4,000 and you have $4,500 in expenses, then it's just zero. You can't deduct a $500 loss.

Thanks
    Ok, other than bedding food milage time spent cleaning and such, what else can be claimed? Ideas thoughts?
    Over 60...

Thanks
    I was just thinking about this issue myself. Glad the people that have experience with it are willing to help
    Like us on FACEBOOK...
    www.facebook.com/zombiesmorphs

Thanks
    Ok, other than bedding food milage time spent cleaning and such, what else can be claimed? Ideas thoughts?
    You can't claim time spent cleaning. You can claim racks/building materials, tubs/ bowls/hides, heat tape/clamps/clips/extension cords, space heater, etc.

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk

Sent from my DROIDX using Tapatalk
    Rocky Mountain Balls
    Website
    Facebook

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast