Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 2,755

2 members and 2,753 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,573
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Misconceptions - Can we clear this up?

After reading many threads here, I think there may be a misconception regarding feeding ASF’s to Ball Pythons. I keep reading again and again that if you feed ASF’s to BP’s that you will have difficulty switching them back to rats.

I’ve bred ASF’s in the past and fed them to my BP’s. Since I had no baby BP’s and the ASF’s took so long to grow, I fed them all of and went with rats exclusively. There was no problem switching over 20 BP’s back to rats. When I was breeding ASF’s - sometimes I did not have enough to feed off and filled in with regular rats. My snakes had no problem going back and forth between ASF’s and rats from one week to the next.

Since I’ve got babies in the racks, I’m going to once again breed ASF’s, but after reading these threads to brush up on what needs done, I was surprised at the number of times of predictions of dire consequences if you fed ASF’s to ball pythons. Some of the threads even warn that it is irresponsible for a breeder to feed ASF’s because a buyer may not have access to ASF's and the ball python will not switch back.

These kinds of posts seem to be posted by someone who knows someone who may have had a problem – at least the ones I’ve read. We all know that these snakes have their individual personalities and there may be some that will not switch back, just like there are some BP’s that insist on mice and will not touch rats. If anyone has any firsthand knowledge of issues switching around rodents, then please post. Otherwise, let’s put this rumor to bed.

I’ve got babies in the racks and they are switching around from mouse hoppers to ASF hoppers to rat pinkies because I cannot get a steady supply of just one feeder for them. That’s why I’m going to start breeding ASFs again. So far, none of the babies have had an issue, except for when the pinky’s were a little too big and that was a size issue, not type of food issue.

2. The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Don For This Useful Post:

JLC (07-25-2011),jsmorphs2 (07-25-2011),kitedemon (08-27-2011),Maixx (07-25-2011),MazAnth (07-26-2011),meowmeowkazoo (04-10-2013),Rhasputin (07-26-2011),Shadera (08-25-2011),spitzu (07-25-2011),The Bears (07-25-2011)

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    I agree with you and I've made posts explaining this somewhat in the past. I've done the same thing. I only have one snake in my collection that has always refused to take rats but he will still take mice if offered so I give him ASF and mice depending on my supply.

I often use ASF to start babies that refuse rat pups. They are perfect for hard starters and I've never had a baby that would not eventually go to rat pups after a few meals of larger ASF hoppers.

4. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Foschi Exotic Serpents For This Useful Post:

Don (07-25-2011),jsmorphs2 (07-25-2011)

Thanks
    I 100% support this post!

Muffy's Morphs

5.7 ball pythons, 0.0.2 GTP, and some Tarantulas

6. The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Jessica Loesch For This Useful Post:

Don (07-25-2011),jsmorphs2 (07-25-2011),MazAnth (07-26-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    They are all individuals and some will and some won't switch back and forth, the older they are the harder it seems to be to get them to switch.
    I have successfully switch one adult and had zero luck with 2 others, they will not take rats period.
    Hatchlings are easy to switch IMO.

Have you tried to sell hatchlings with the words "asf eater" in the ad?
    Last edited by snakesRkewl; 07-25-2011 at 04:45 PM.
    Jerry Robertson

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Don (07-25-2011),Emilio (07-25-2011)

Thanks
    I love feeding all of my guys ASFs, but there's no way in hell I'd start hatchlings on them if I intend on selling them.

Thanks

Re: Misconceptions - Can we clear this up?

Quote Originally Posted by spitzu View Post
    I love feeding all of my guys ASFs, but there's no way in hell I'd start hatchlings on them if I intend on selling them.
    Why? Have you had problems switching them over?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post

Have you tried to sell hatchlings with the words "asf eater" in the ad?
    No because right now, they are eating mouse hoppers, pinkies and ASF Hoppers - whatever I can get my hands on. The snakes don't seem to care as long as it is the right size. I do disclose to the buyers what has been eaten and include a feeding card with each hatchling.
    Last edited by Don; 07-25-2011 at 05:31 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    In my experience hatchlings do not imprint on a certain prey type, I have had a 100% switch over rate.

Many/most(?) people start their hatchlings on mouse hoppers and then switch them over to rats right away, how is that any different than starting with asf's?
    Jerry Robertson

13. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

Don (07-25-2011),Jessica Loesch (07-25-2011)

Thanks
    I agree. All balls have totally different personalities. My hatchlings have no problem going back and forth from whatever food source I want to feed them. Adults are not so quick to switch. I work closely with a business partner on a few projects. One of our co-owned snakes a lav albino female is about 2 years old. She was exclusively raised by her breeder on asfs. We got her when she was 9 months old. She will not feed on absolutely anything else but asfs. She is the only reason he has asfs and breeds them exclusively for her. Ultimately she will stay around with us. I think the thing that kind of irritated us was we didn't know until half a dozen refusals of rats. We were told she was a food pounder and we didn't worry about it. After I called the breeder only then was it said that she is exclusive to asfs. I assumed she was a rat eater and that was my bad. I guess when I give advice about asfs this girl comes into mind. Just like any ball they can and will make food preferences. Asfs were not easy for us to get and they weren't cheap either. I choose to tell people that if you don't have easy access to asfs then to be aware of buying exclusive asf feeders, or making it a habit of feeding asfs.
    Just what I've personally seen. This goes for any food source. Some will switch back and forth no problem. Others will Not. Unfortunately for some asfs are not as plentiful as others.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

15. The Following User Says Thank You to Homegrownscales For This Useful Post:

Don (07-25-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Homegrownscales View Post
    I agree. All balls have totally different personalities. My hatchlings have no problem going back and forth from whatever food source I want to feed them. Adults are not so quick to switch. I work closely with a business partner on a few projects. One of our co-owned snakes a lav albino female is about 2 years old. She was exclusively raised by her breeder on asfs. We got her when she was 9 months old. She will not feed on absolutely anything else but asfs. She is the only reason he has asfs and breeds them exclusively for her. Ultimately she will stay around with us. I think the thing that kind of irritated us was we didn't know until half a dozen refusals of rats. We were told she was a food pounder and we didn't worry about it. After I called the breeder only then was it said that she is exclusive to asfs. I assumed she was a rat eater and that was my bad. I guess when I give advice about asfs this girl comes into mind. Just like any ball they can and will make food preferences. Asfs were not easy for us to get and they weren't cheap either. I choose to tell people that if you don't have easy access to asfs then to be aware of buying exclusive asf feeders, or making it a habit of feeding asfs.
    Just what I've personally seen. This goes for any food source. Some will switch back and forth no problem. Others will Not. Unfortunately for some asfs are not as plentiful as others.

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com
    Thanks for sharing your personal experience. This is the stuff I've been looking for. My older snakes have never had a problem switching back and forth. I will make a note, if I sell an older snake that has been fed exclusively on ASF's, then make sure to disclose it.

Right now, it isn't a problem because everything I've got is on regular rats, except for some of the babies. However, I plan on breeding my own food because I'm spending around $150 per month in rats right now. Anything I can do to reduce that would be good on my pocket. I've done regular rats, but they stink in the house and grow too fast. For babies, I think ASF's are the way to go. They are slow growers and once I get a good cycle going, I'll have my own baby food.

That is what is killing me right now. My regular supplier can not always get me mouse hoppers, but he can get pinkies. I have another source that sometimes has small ASF's. I don't want to rely on others for feeding these guys. I've put too much work into them.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast