Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,081

0 members and 3,081 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
    Thanks

Protective mamas (lengthy)

I have these 2 mama rats that are fighting over EVERYTHING!

I have them in the same tub, but devised a divider for it with some scrap plastic from converting my tubs to cages. This was a great setup till they decided to start chewing on things. Which is something they never used to do, btw. I use large butter containers and ice cream buckets for hides for all my rats... none of them ever chewed on any of it.

Well these two mamas, Sweetheart and Brandi, were put in this maternity tub when they started fighting in their group cage they shared with their male. And it was great till Sweetheart gave birth to a litter of 7 on the 18th. That is when Brandi chewed enough of the divider to get over the top of it. Still not too bad as Sweetheart would just chase Brandi back to her own side. I patched up the 'hole' with a bit of hardware cloth, and Brandi's invasions ceased. But then she started chewing on a section on the bottom of the divider. Ever since Brandi gave birth to her litter of 14 on the 24th, things have been out of control in there! Sweetheart chewed the rest of the way through the bottom section that Brandi had started, and is constantly stealing Brandi's stuff. Bedding, hammock, food... even her babies... ALL OF THEM! I would have been fine with it, if she only took a couple to help Brandi out, but she took them ALL! Brandi keeps getting a few back to her side, but they always wind up back with Sweetheart. They play tug of war with the hammock, each one wanting it on their side of the divider. I don't want them to start doing that with one of Brandi's little pinks! And I am afraid they won't get enough to eat with one mama trying to feed all 21 babies.

Sweetheart used to be just as her name describes, a sweetheart. But, from the day she gave birth, is now a real b----. And Brandi has always been a bit standoffish, but ever since Sweetheart started stealing her babies, is very testy. Can't so much as even clean the tub without wearing protective gear. So I can't get my hands in there to patch the hole either.

Should I leave things as they are, or don my protective gear and split them up? I just fear for the babies and think that the mamas are probably pretty stressed from all of this. What would you do?
    0.1 normal ball
    0.1 pastel ball

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    This is why I use a momma rack so they have their own space.
    I have seen momma rats dominate the litters so the babies don't get what they need, after all one momma rat can't feed 20 babies on her own very well even if she thinks she can.

LOL @ don your protective gear....
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Seperate them, and divide the litters between the two.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Alrighty... sigh... i think I knew that. Just maybe was hoping someone would tell me they would all be ok. The divider WAS a good idea, but maybe not of plastic in the future. LOL It was just an attempt to use a big tub that I already had instead of having to rush out and purchase another when they started fighting. So, do you think they will ever be 'themselves' again? I really miss being able to handle them and the babies.
    0.1 normal ball
    0.1 pastel ball

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    My adult rats act like pets and never bite or run from me, you have to put the time in to socialize them or you get rats that will protect their babies from you.
    I can pull babies off of the females teets and the females never bite me, but then I've raised every single adult I have from kits and handled them constantly so they are like pets.
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Re: Protective mamas (lengthy)

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    Seperate them, and divide the litters between the two.
    Yeah that is what I was thinking. I may only take a couple from Brandi though because I have another mama, Sandi, Brandi's sister, who just had 14 on Saturday, who needs to have a couple fostered out as well.
    0.1 normal ball
    0.1 pastel ball

Registered User Amon Ra Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    We have never had this problem. Our tubs are 1.3 and stay that way. We don't pull females and their litters and We never have problems with litters being killed by the male . Yes we have a few females that will hog the babies lol. Their pile of pinkies will be double the other females but they all get taken care of.
    The only problem we have had recently is with an adult tub. The male died and when we put in a new young male the females didn't take to him very well. He got his but kicked to the point of almost death. So he got fed off. So not sure what we are gonna do about that.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    My adult rats act like pets and never bite or run from me, you have to put the time in to socialize them or you get rats that will protect their babies from you.
    I can pull babies off of the females teets and the females never bite me, but then I've raised every single adult I have from kits and handled them constantly so they are like pets.
    These were like that, till the babies came. But I did not raise them, so I didn't get that kind of time. But my other two mamas that I have right now, let me do whatever I want, no issues. Been playing with their babies since 30 minutes after births. These are Sweetheart and Brandi's 1st litters. Also I think they may have bonded most with my step-son. I know my future breeders won't be that way. We all have a hard time leaving our 'homegrowns' alone!
    0.1 normal ball
    0.1 pastel ball

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Amon Ra Reptiles View Post
    We have never had this problem. Our tubs are 1.3 and stay that way. We don't pull females and their litters and We never have problems with litters being killed by the male . Yes we have a few females that will hog the babies lol. Their pile of pinkies will be double the other females but they all get taken care of.
    The only problem we have had recently is with an adult tub. The male died and when we put in a new young male the females didn't take to him very well. He got his but kicked to the point of almost death. So he got fed off. So not sure what we are gonna do about that.
    I was never worried about my male. The prego girls were fighting hardcore and my male getting caught in the middle. I didn't want any of them getting hurt. That's why I separated them. And the fact that I did not know if they were prego by him or another male back at the breeder's where I got them from. I prefer to know who's is who's. LOL

Sorry bout the problem with your females. I am not experienced enough to give any advice on that. But someday...
    0.1 normal ball
    0.1 pastel ball

Thanks
    lmao only rats would take on more babies!!!

Can't wait to see what is going to happen to mine. I have 4 females in a 4ft cage and 3 males in another. I believe that 2 of the 4 are pregnant (maybe 3). I plan to leave them the way they are but I do have a backup plan just in case.