Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,348

4 members and 3,344 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast
    Registered User fluffpuffgerbil's Avatar
    Thanks

How many of you guys use aspen?

I was using paper towels, but since I had to change Kallista's cage today and we had aspen bedding for small animals leftover after mom returned her hamster(had dental issues) I figured I'd give it a shot.
    It's really rough and curly. It's odd, but I figure if I don't like it I can change it.

But my only concern would be with feeding. I'll be feeding live for awhile still and though she seems to strike well, if she gets some in her mouth when she eats the mouse, I know they can digest it, I'd just be concerned with it getting lodged in her throat like I've seen happen to someone's snake on here. I don't really want to have to pull aspen out of her throat.

So, I just wanted to know who uses it and what you like/dislike about using it.
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)
    0.1 gargoyle gecko(Rory/Freckles)

Other family members in the house:
    0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)
    1.1 Parents, 0.2 sisters(1 older, 1 younger)

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I use to use it but we are up to 20 snakes now so we went to paper towels.
    When we had 3 or 4 it was okay and not a big deal to remove them from their enclosures to feed but now it would take all day plus cleanup is a lot easier on paper towels and cheaper too.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to PitOnTheProwl For This Useful Post:

fluffpuffgerbil (08-27-2011)

Thanks
    I use aspen right now but, like Pit, I remove my snakes from their tanks to feed. I also only have a few snakes right now, so it's not a huge hassle to do this. Aspen, in my opinion, is one of the better "natural" beddings--it's not as dusty as several others, and it's really easy to spot clean. I use aspen mainly because my tanks are currently set up for display. It just looks nicer when you're going for that "natural habitat" presentation. I'll be setting up a rack system in the next month or two, and I do plan to use paper towels then, but I'll probably always use aspen with my glass tanks.
    1.0 Dinker BP (Golly), 0.1 Cinnamon (Cynthia), 0.1 Albino (Reisling), 1.1 Het Albinos (Nicholai and Alexis)

1.0 Blizzard Corn (Mayo), 1.0 Ghost (Louis), 0.1 Multihet (Clementine), 1.0 Lavender Motley (Conrad), 1.0 Lavender (Grimwald),
    0.1 Hypo Lavender (Saleen), 0.1 Ghost Bloodred (Roselyn), 0.1 Ghost Motley (Constance), 0.1 Caramel (Isolde), 0.1 Charcoal (Astrid),
    0.1 Anery Stripe (Eve), 0.1 Caramel Stripe (Tabitha)

1.1 Western Hognose (Sammy and Ophelia)
    And 0.1 California King (The Mad Medu)!

5. The Following User Says Thank You to AlmightyMoof For This Useful Post:

Thanks

Re: How many of you guys use aspen?

We've used both and we feed live. It depends on the snake aand your preferences, it won't hurt for now if you feel yoou need to change back to paper in the future. A trick you can try is putting a piece of caardboard down in his enclosure when your feeding him so that you can avoid him pulling aspen into his mouth, that way you get the benifits off a feed box without having to move him.

7. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Ah, I see.
    I just have one. And I feed inside her cage, just because I don't like to touch her right after she's eaten. But I could always feed separately. She doesn't seem to mind being touched.
    It would eliminate the risk of her getting hurt by it.
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)

0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)

Thanks

Smile Re: How many of you guys use aspen?

I used aspen for many years without an issue. If you are looking for a more aesthetically pleasing bedding that is the way to go as long as you can provide the proper humidity. Once I got over 20 snakes I started using newspaper. If you have anyone with a subscription its even free for you (that works for me ) If you are feeding in cage I would suggest you either use sandi-chips for really young snakes or wait until the babies are about a year old then use the larger stuff. Just my suggestion
    Ball Pythons
    Borneo Short Tail Pythons
    Boas Constrictors
    Kenyan Sand Boas
    Woma Pythons
    Western Hognose

10. The Following User Says Thank You to MojaveLesser For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Woops, missed those other posts. XD

It would be easy to put cardboard in there for her to eat on.
    Okay, thanks for the replies. :3

I was wanting to use Eco Earth, but it makes the humidity way too high in my tub. (As in it says: HI)
    Herps:

Thanks
    I use newspaper for my bp's, its free and easy to clean up and it doesn't insulate against my UTH. I found any substrate deeper than 1 inch created issues with unstable heating. I've tried a lot different subs, and now just use paper for my bp's, little chance of ingestion, dustless, easy to clean, and inexpensive.

But my RRS likes to burrow to hide so she has aspen and 3 inches deep at that. But for her, heating isn't major issue.(70-80 deg, with a 85 basking spot)
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Maixx For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    I don't think it's much deeper than an inch in her cage. I just have enough to cover the bottom of it.
    Herps:

Thanks
    I've been usuing aspen for almost a year now and I keep them in with feeding and I have not lost any or had any issues. I switched over because of how low humidity is in my house. When I feed though I hold the food right in front of their face they strike kill and swallow so I feel there is less chance of them swallowing. I have almost 50 snakes and I go through a big block about a month which cost me about 20 dollars and when I would buy paper towels by the case it would cost me 18 dollars so not much price difference.
    DC Reptiles.com coming soon....

16. The Following User Says Thank You to DC Reptiles For This Useful Post:

Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast