Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,276

3 members and 3,273 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Heating pad on a tub

Hey guys. So I just bought a new sterilite tub from walmart because we are evacuating for the hurricane and we're taking Parker with us. I bought a human heating pad because it was half the price, and I got some aspen bedding too. I am bringing my temp gun and stuff to keep an eye on it since it doesn't have any sort regulation. It has some automatic shut off, and 3 levels of heating, not sure how hot it gets. Like I said I will be keeping a very close eye on it.

My question is, it comes with a cloth, as well as a cloth pouch to put it in. I plan to duct tape it to the bottom of the tub on the outside, but should I put it the cloth on it and put it in the pouch or put it on just like a UTH without the extras?

Thanks

Re: Heating pad on a tub

i would put all the extras in just in case it gets to hot...what are the ambiant temps you have now...if not much lower than 80 you might want to go without a hot spot untill you can regulate it...plug it into a dimmer switch
    1.0 albino BP Zeus
    1.0 lesser BP papa less
    1.0 spider BP Spiderman
    1.0 axanthic bp silver bullet
    0.1 spider BP Charlotte
    0.1 mojave BP Sandy
    0.1 pastel bp sunshine
    0.1 normal bp calypso
    0.1 het pied bp pandora

1.0 hypo het albino bci red tailed boa

Thanks

ok that's what i figured but just wanted to double check. not sure on ambient temps. i haven't actually set it up yet. the heating pad has a plug, so he wont have a heat source during the car ride. we are going about 2 1/2 hours to the west. we are going to my bfs fathers house and i am not sure how he keeps it as far as air conditioning goes. so i bought the heat pad just in case it is way cold in the house.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    You would have been better to get one without a shut off, just set it to the lowest setting and you should be fine, seeing as it's still summer
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    yeah i wanted one without a shut off... but it was a lot more money for some reason. I just went the cheapest route since this isn't a permanent enclosure. Still, it looks pretty good to me actually... I put a small water dish since he really doesn't need it for soaking since he shed already a few days ago, and I am putting both his hides in and it's a 25 qt tub. I also put a bunch of holes in on the sides for ventilation.

Thanks

we have an extra hide, so that's what is in there now. i'm going to put another one in when we put him in tomorrow morning. how does this look for a temporary enclosure?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    You won't be from your home for too long, your set will be fine, no worries. I do hope the hurricane turns right & goes back out to sea, I am in so fl, so we're breathing a minor sigh of relief on one hand, but still holding a breath for our other americans up the coast.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I used one for my quarantine for a short while, they get hotter than you think.
    On low I had to jack up the tub an inch away from the pad to keep 93-95 degree hot spots.
    Make sure you have a good way to measure the hot spot directly on the tub and good luck with the evacuation
    Jerry Robertson

9. The Following User Says Thank You to snakesRkewl For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (08-27-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    Jerry beat me to it. To feel warm to humans they usually are over 100ºF on low and go up. I too have used one as an emergency heat but like Jerry I had a needed something between I used a folded towel.

11. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

snakesRkewl (08-27-2011)

Thanks

.....as an added thought, the heating pads with automatic shut off will USUALLY stay on for an hour and turn themselves off. IMO you would have been much better off to spend the extra money.....because it's gonna be a pain getting up to turn that pad back on every hour !

I wish you all much safety and success.....

Yosef
    BORNEOS BABY, JUST BORNEOS.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast