Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,252

0 members and 3,252 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Registered User Lancerlot109@aol.com's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by mommanessy247 View Post
    while poo is the topic here...
    is it ok for a snake to go months between poos? my girl give me a urate every other week, maybe every couple weeks but she hasnt left me any poo for some time, i forgot exactly how long but i know it was about 2 sheds ago & 2 sheds ago was in march...
    i dont wanna stress her with a soaking if i dont have to & she's been eating every 10 days or so since that march shed with 1 missed feeding due to an aggressive rat. downsized from smalls to weaned for a bit & have, as of 3 feedings ago, gotten back up to smalls.
    so the point is
    5 months since last poo + 15 meals since then = still no poo????:
    should i soak her?

sorry for the hijack
    its all good! this is why i love this website

Registered User Lancerlot109@aol.com's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadera View Post
    You relaxed the little fella. Who doesn't fart in the tub?

If you've been giving pinkies, it's highly possible that's giving him looser stools. No hair to help hold things together. Or it could be the change, too. I wouldn't worry about it unless it becomes chronic and loose.
    thanks! that makes a lot of sense actually. i never considered the hair of a rat making the the poop solid.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    mommanessy247 All I can do it tell you about my experience one of the rescues I have managed to eat a huge pile of cyprus chips once and then had failed to poop for at least 6 months. She started to feel decidedly round not flat along the keel scales but rounded and the lower 1/3 was like a balloon airy and if you palpitated her it made belly grumblings.

The vet told us to soak her and she also gave oral Meds that I have forgotten the name of. (after the xrays) The vet also said that she needed to have a period of active time as well as the 20 min soak twice a day. All of the above cleared up the issue.

What I have learned since. Knowing what I currently do I might try a couple of things first before a vet visit. feed smaller which you have done. This is a bit unpleasant and requires F/T I don't know if you do or not. I used a curved syringe and injected clear water into the rat (by mouth ) and added 2ml/kg of snake. This is nice a gentle it is just water.

Dr. J. Rossi suggests a rat lax that is to inject into a dead rat 1mL/kg of body weight human grade mineral oil and feeding this.

ref. What's wrong with my snake? Rossi and Rossi

I might try water one week with soaking and then after a week try the oil. When you get poop I would highly suggest having a fecal done as internal parasites can cause constipation especially if there is no other reason.

Hosted on Fotki

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12