Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,056

0 members and 1,056 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,108
Threads: 248,545
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, charcharbinks
    Registered User blueberrypancakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Jackson soaking all day- is that ok?

Jackson has really been soaking in his dish literally ALL DAY. Has not gotten out. He does have mites, and I've already ordered my PAM. I'm just wondering if his soaking will have any long term ill effects, or if it's ok for him to do that until I am able to treat him. I am going to try out the Dawn bath treatment tomorrow afternoon, but as he just finished a big meal yesterday I want to give him time to digest (unless I'm advised that treatment is urgent...) Aw that poor baby... He just looks miserable sitting in that little pool!

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Soaking won't have any long time effects I don't think. He is soaking to relieve the irritation and drown the mites. I hope the PAM arrives soon so you both feel better. I know you have other reptiles in your house? I'd use the PAM treatment on their enclosures as well, since mites spread like wildfire.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

Thanks
    He's actually my one and only reptile. My one and only pet! So obsessing over his care is way too easy...

Thanks
    No he's fine if he soaks all day. Have you legit cleaned his set up? Like take him out, put him in a diff container with a little water so he can soak. Take all his stuff out, wash everything with hot water and bleach, scrub every inch of his tank?
    USMC

5. The Following User Says Thank You to spballa88 For This Useful Post:

Skittles1101 (08-20-2011)

Thanks
    I really did clean out his setup way legit. I didn't give him any kind of treatment himself though, I didn't know any of the home remedies until today. (I did try MiteOff, it did not work, the mites are still on him) Tomorrow I will clean him and his enclosure...

Thanks
    What are you using for substrate?
    USMC

Thanks
    It is paper towel substrate.

Sahuarita, AZ...about 30 miles SW of Tucson
    Thanks
    make sure you wash everything in dawn dish soap...hot water and a touch of bleach. Then re wash in just hot water. If you have live plants ....get rid of them. Be sure to get in the corners really really good. When the Pam arrives you will need to do this again...then spray and let completely dry. Follow the directions to the T. Be sure to follow up every couple of weeks with another application and do this for about 6 weeks. And again.....really really get up around the corners...this is where the eggs are. The trick for you is going to be feeding....once you treat the enclosure the feeder insects will die. You may have to feed him outside of his enclosure.

He is soaking as he is trying to get rid of the mites and is uncomfortable.
    Michelle
    Lets just say it has advanced to ....way too much to list