Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,335

1 members and 3,334 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

help need advice!

I bought a ball python from a pet store here in town, but unfortunately when I got her home I realized that she has mites. I took her to a well known vet that specializes in reptiles and exotics. He gave me a 1% ivermectin spray dialuted in water. I used they spray on her, thouroughly cleaned the tank and furnishings, and repeated as directed. The spray did NOT work and dryed my poor snakes belly out! I immediately stopped using the spray and tryed olive oil [as I've heard it works well]. The olive oil drowned most of the mites out, and she seemed somewhat relieved. A day later, she went into her ceramic inclosure and hasn't been out in just over a week. Before she was very active, always on her stick and in her water bowl, which I think was because the mites were bothering her. I'm just wondering why she hasn't been out of her cave [inclosure] in so long, I'm starting to worry.
    If anyone has any tips or if you've seen personality changes like this in snakes, it would be greatly appreciated if you could help in any way!
    Thanks!

Thanks
    In regards to her suddenly hiding all the time, I wouldn't be worried. She was probably more active at first because her surroundings were new and she was more stressed by the mites as well. Her hiding constantly is usually a good thing. Though, I wouldn't rely on any sort of home remedy to successfully treat the mites. I believe eggs hatch after two weeks, so even if you don't see any mites crawling around another infestation may be just around the corner. Order Provent-A-Mite online as soon as you can and treat her enclosure with that as directed on the can. I swear by PAM and use it as a preventative measure and have yet to have any mites in my collection. Treat the mites with PAM as soon as you can and let her hide as much as she wishes to.
    Last edited by Kymberli; 08-20-2011 at 07:02 PM.
    1.0 '12 Irian Jaya Carpet Python
    0.1 '09 Normal BP
    1.0 '07 Normal BP
    1.0 '08 Pinstripe BP
    0.0.1 Nelson's Milk Snake

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Kymberli For This Useful Post:

watchthefall (08-20-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,250 Times in 1,511 Posts
    Ball pythons hide. It's what they do. Just like Kymberli said your snake was stressed from the move and that's why it was so active. Now it's settling in, which is why it hides. Ball pythons are nocturnal, so the only time you should see them out anyways is at night.

I'm also going to say you need to get Provent a Mite asap. It's the only way to go.
    http://www.pro-products.com/index.ph...d=53&Itemid=59

I'd treat any other reptiles you have in your home so they don't spread. Read the directions before using it.
    2.0 Offspring, 1.1 Normal Ball Python, 1.0 Pastel Ball Python, 0.1 Albino Ball Python, 0.1 Pinstripe Ball Python, 0.1 Banana Ball Python, 1.0 Pied Ball Python, 1.0 Normal Hognose, 0.1 Veiled Chameleon, 0.0.1 G.pulchra, 0.1 P.metallica, 0.1 M.giganteus

5. The Following User Says Thank You to Skittles1101 For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Welcome to BP.net

1. Soak your BP in a tupperware container with tepid water & a couple drops of liwuid dish detergent for about 30-45 mintes, this will drown the live mites.

2. You can order PAM to treat the enclosure, but in the meantime, you can get a can of lice bedding spray from walmart. Clean & spray the enclosure lightly & let it dry for at least an hour before putting snake back.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

7. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

Thanks
    Thanks guys! Deffinately going to order the PAM. Wish me luck