Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,307

0 members and 1,307 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,578
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Misinformed People lol

Today at work, I was talking to a buddy and told him I was planning on buying a new snake(Hog island boa). He was shocked when I told him I also already owned a ball python. He then told me if I ever had kids my pets were going to eat them! lol
    I laughed and asked why he thought that and he told me, "cuz that's what snakes do, eat people!"
    I hope he was joking, but I could definitely tell there was some truth to what he was suggesting.
    I'm sure some of you guys have had some similar reactions when you tell people you own pet snakes, but I just find it ridiculous to think that a 4 foot snake is going to eat a human

Thanks
    Yup, got a similar reaction... only it was from a 40 year old man who works up on the casting deck of a steel mill (those guys are hard @$$es). The difference being that he is scared of being attacked by a ball python rather than his or anyone else's kids. I couldn't help but laugh.
    Last edited by Trogdorpheus; 08-18-2011 at 09:17 PM.

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks

Re: Misinformed People lol

ha...i get that all the time...people find out I have 13 or 14 snakes in the weird rack thing and get horrified. They become more so when they find i have 200 rats in the backyard.

Thanks
    people will say that jokingly when there at my house but they all know a bp wont do that. can a large bp kill a small child yes. does it ever happen not that know of.

BPnet Veteran
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,689 Times in 1,200 Posts
    I dont have time for arrogant people, i just ignore them and turn my back to them. IF they want to talk with some reality ill give them my attention.

Registered User fluffpuffgerbil's Avatar
    Thanks
    XD Before I got mine, I was telling one family in my neighborhood that I was going to be getting one. However, the question wasn't, :Is it dangerous? (everyone asks that about my bearded dragons though, or they'll ask: Will it bite?)
    The question was: Aren't they boring?

....They may not be able to be handled as much as lizards, but I definitely wouldn't say the snakes are boring! (However I've had mine for only 5 days,)
    I do expect to get some questions like 'won't it eat you' at some point. XD
    Herps:
    2.2.0.2 Crested Geckos(Dagger, Boga, Kess, Beast, Maka, eggs)(With more eggs on the way from Dagger and Kess!) 1.1 Bearded dragons(Scou, Rizat) 0.1 Normal Ball Pythons(Kallista)
    0.1 gargoyle gecko(Rory/Freckles)

Other family members in the house:
    0.1 Alaskan Husky(Alaska), 1.2 indoor cats(Boots, Rocket, Fable), 0.1 outdoor cat(Slinky)
    1.1 Parents, 0.2 sisters(1 older, 1 younger)

BPnet Veteran EverEvolvingExotics's Avatar
    Thanks
    I generally enjoy educating people about reptiles. Although I think it funny when people are genuinely scared of a species of reptile I try to just laugh in my head and focus on giving the person facts. I get great satisfaction after talking with someone and having them walk away with realistic knowledge about reptiles.

Q. Can they bite?

A. Yes, but so can dogs, cats, and blondes, that doesn't mean they will on a regular basis, if at all.

I have had reptiles in my life for over 20 years and have yet to get bitten. My time is coming...
    Specializing in Ball Pythons, New Caledonian Geckos, and African Fat Tails

Thanks
    Lol yes I have had people tell me that when I have kids I will have to get rid of my snakes. Lol why? Did you get rid of your dogs or fish etc. when you had kids? They are small snakes and they are not running loose.
    God Bless http://www.iherp.com/elbee
    _____
    1.0 Pastel, 1.0 Albino, 1.0 Piebald, 1.0 Pastel Butter Spotnose
    0.1 Het pied, 0.1 Pewter, 0.1 Super Pastel, 0.1 Champagne, 0.1 BEL, 0.1 Pastel Leopard
    1.1 Thayeri Kingsnake
    1.0 Hog Island Boa
    0.2 Western Hognose (normal and purple line albino)

9. The Following User Says Thank You to elbee For This Useful Post:

Highline Reptiles South (08-18-2011)

Thanks

Re: Misinformed People lol

Quote Originally Posted by eel588 View Post
    I generally enjoy educating people about reptiles. Although I think it funny when people are genuinely scared of a species of reptile I try to just laugh in my head and focus on giving the person facts. I get great satisfaction after talking with someone and having them walk away with realistic knowledge about reptiles.

Q. Can they bite?

A. Yes, but so can dogs, cats, and blondes, that doesn't mean they will on a regular basis, if at all.

I have had reptiles in my life for over 20 years and have yet to get bitten. My time is coming...
    Blondes, Lol!

Thanks
    I work at a pet shop and take my BP and savannah monitor in all the time. People always freak out and ask why id have a Komodo Dragon for a pet or say that the BP is gonna kill me one day. I just laugh and explain to them that they dont get huge and are basically harmless. After talking to them for awhile most will actually touch or even hold them.

Sure it gets old after awhile having to explain that this snake doesnt get 20 feet just because its a python and as long as you dont startle them and handle them properly you dont have to worry about getting hurt. But i feel that every person i talk to has a better undersatnding of these animals and is less threatend by them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast