Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,360

3 members and 3,357 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Hygrometer

Thanks

Hygrometer

I use an Accu-rite to monitor the temps and humidity in a 15 qt tub. Last week I noticed that my ball python was in blue so increased the humidity to around 68%to 70%, however he still had a bad shed. I was curious on why this happened so I bought a flukers digital thermo/hygro, and placed it beside the accurite. To my surprise there was a 10% difference in humidity reading. So my question is, which one should I believe?

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    check them! Google 'salt test' and the follow the instructions it is very easy and simple to do.

The way inexpensive thermometers and hygrometers work leaves them open for error and variation inside a given production run. Expensive ones are cost prohibitive and out of range of most people. ($300 +)

I went through 3 accurite units and returned 2 as they were beyond the specs for either temp or humidity. (one was both and one humidity) They say that 10% up or down is ok and 2ºF up or down is ok. I had two that were beyond this and one was on the nose for both (10% off and 2ºF off) but could not return it as this is the designed specs.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to kitedemon For This Useful Post:

bassgod (08-18-2011)

Thanks

Re: Hygrometer

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    check them! Google 'salt test' and the follow the instructions it is very easy and simple to do.

The way inexpensive thermometers and hygrometers work leaves them open for error and variation inside a given production run. Expensive ones are cost prohibitive and out of range of most people. ($300 +)

I went through 3 accurite units and returned 2 as they were beyond the specs for either temp or humidity. (one was both and one humidity) They say that 10% up or down is ok and 2ºF up or down is ok. I had two that were beyond this and one was on the nose for both (10% off and 2ºF off) but could not return it as this is the designed specs.
    Thanks! I will try this when I get home.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    No problem happy to help!