Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,411

3 members and 3,408 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Too cold?

Thanks

Too cold?

Ok so i know many people say that hot side should be around 90, but my very young ball python stays in his hide which is usually around 80, and my hot side is usually only around 86 (+ or - 1 degree). However i never see him laying under my lamp (red light bulb) so i don't think hes cold. Right now hes in a 10 gallon so its hard to have a huge difference in temps, two hides, etc. but in a month i will have my snake rack system so i won't have to worry then. Any suggestions for the time being? Is he good the way it is?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    I don't keep anything 90 degrees except the hot spot.

78-80 cool end
    86-87 warm end
    92-93 hot spot
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

Re: Too cold?

Quote Originally Posted by snakesRkewl View Post
    I don't keep anything 90 degrees except the hot spot.

78-80 cool end
    86-87 warm end
    92-93 hot spot
    Well thats what im saying, my hot spot is only 86. But he never uses it and is always in the hide. So i really dont know what to do. I guess he's fine? i feel like he would come out if he got cold. He is also only about 70 grams, and i've heard that smaller snakes actually like it a bit cooler, i don't know how true this is though.

Thanks
    Is the red light bulb the only source for heat in your tank?
    If so ditch the lamp. The lamps suck humidity out of the tank like crazy. An undertank heater is a much better choice. The snake can benefit from belly heat when digesting food.
    Used with a thermostat you should have no problem maintaning the hot spot at 90-92.
    A hot spot of 85 is kind of chilly.
    The snake im sure is in no danger with the bulb and the temps your at, but you may find yourself running into problems later with other husbandry issues.
    If perfection in husbandry can be reached then you have a healthy and happy snake.
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    0.1 Banana Pied Ball Python
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

5. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mues155 For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel285 (08-17-2011),snakesRkewl (08-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel285 View Post
    Well thats what im saying, my hot spot is only 86. But he never uses it and is always in the hide. So i really dont know what to do. I guess he's fine? i feel like he would come out if he got cold. He is also only about 70 grams, and i've heard that smaller snakes actually like it a bit cooler, i don't know how true this is though.
    Just because you dont see her using the hot spot doesnt mean she isnt using it.
    Im sure you have a job and sleep at night, theres alot of hours in the day that the snake can be moving around.
    Most of my snakes only use the hot spot after eating a meal anyways.
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

7. The Following User Says Thank You to mues155 For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel285 (08-17-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mues155 View Post
    Is the red light bulb the only source for heat in your tank?
    If so ditch the lamp. The lamps suck humidity out of the tank like crazy. An undertank heater is a much better choice. The snake can benefit from belly heat when digesting food.
    Used with a thermostat you should have no problem maintaning the hot spot at 90-92.
    A hot spot of 85 is kind of chilly.
    The snake im sure is in no danger with the bulb and the temps your at, but you may find yourself running into problems later with other husbandry issues.
    If perfection in husbandry can be reached then you have a healthy and happy snake.
    I actually maintain about 55% humidity without even spraying. I had to take the stuff off the top of the tank to LOWER the humidity. (i live in a dorm, idk whats up with the high humidity, guess its just the southeastern US's humidity)

I think im moving him to a friends apartment tomorrow where it should be warmer so will that be sufficient until i have my snake rack?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by mues155 View Post
    Just because you dont see her using the hot spot doesnt mean she isnt using it.
    Im sure you have a job and sleep at night, theres alot of hours in the day that the snake can be moving around.
    Most of my snakes only use the hot spot after eating a meal anyways.
    Very true, and today was my first feed, i guess ill just move him tomorrow where it will be warmer. I mostly wanted to make sure this wasn't harming him in any way. He's been in these conditions less than a week

Thanks

I actually maintain about 55% humidity without even spraying. I had to take the stuff off the top of the tank to LOWER the humidity. (i live in a dorm, idk whats up with the high humidity, guess its just the southeastern US's humidity)

I think im moving him to a friends apartment tomorrow where it should be warmer so will that be sufficient until i have my snake rack?
    How long have you had the snake? From you saying its your first feed then probably not long, believe me theres plently of time for that lamp to give you problems. Just because it hasnt happened YET doesnt mean it wont.
    And i would not suggest just leaving him at your friends without a heat source.
    Unless it stays 88 degrees in the house which i doubt
    Give him the lamp at your friends until you get your rack setup with proper UTH and a thermostat

Very true, and today was my first feed, i guess ill just move him tomorrow where it will be warmer. I mostly wanted to make sure this wasn't harming him in any way. He's been in these conditions less than a week
    I would suggest waiting at least 3 days before you move the snake. If you just fed him, moving around alot can cause the snake to regurgitate and become stressed.
    Last edited by mues155; 08-17-2011 at 01:33 AM. Reason: typo
    My name is Adriane
    Welcome to the Jungle
    1.0 Husband
    2.0 Boston Terriers
    0.2 Buggs

Ball Python Aficionado Adam Chandler's Avatar
    Thanks
    You only have one hide, and it's on the cool side?
    You should have at least 2 identical hides, one the warm side and one the cool.
    BP's are VERY secrective snakes. You BP will choose to stay hidden even if he feels unconfortable rather than lay out in the proper tempature and feel exposed.
    I HIGHY recommend adding a indentical hide on the warm side so your BP can thermoregulate and still feel secure.

Key things: BP's usually don't "bask" in the open and BP's will choose security over proper thermoregulation.
    Last edited by Adam Chandler; 08-17-2011 at 01:36 AM.
    "We are artists using locus and alleles as our paint; the ball python as our canvas" - Colin Weaver

Check out my Photoblog!

12. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Adam Chandler For This Useful Post:

dr del (08-17-2011),Ezekiel285 (08-17-2011)

Thanks

a ball python will give up comfort for security. get a second hide that's exactly the same as the one you have on the cold side and place it on the hot side so you have 2 hides. this way he can chose his temp.

14. The Following User Says Thank You to don15681 For This Useful Post:

Ezekiel285 (08-17-2011)

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast