Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,327

3 members and 3,324 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
    Thanks

feeding and vacation

Ok, first time going away for more than three days since I've had my bp and I'm unsure about when to feed him. I'm going out of town from August 21st through August 26th. I last fed Ari on August 9th and I usually feed about every seven days--but I recently switched from feeding every 4-5 days (he's young and was underweight). Should I go ahead and feed tomorrow as scheduled even though that will mean 10 days before he can eat again? Or should I feed today and again before I leave on the 21st?

Thanks

Re: feeding and vacation

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsqueak View Post
    Ok, first time going away for more than three days since I've had my bp and I'm unsure about when to feed him. I'm going out of town from August 21st through August 26th. I last fed Ari on August 9th and I usually feed about every seven days--but I recently switched from feeding every 4-5 days (he's young and was underweight). Should I go ahead and feed tomorrow as scheduled even though that will mean 10 days before he can eat again? Or should I feed today and again before I leave on the 21st?

Just FYI.. I have had snakes go months between feedings. Try today.. and the day before you go away.. he will be fine the 5 days you will be gone. just make sure his water is fresh before you leave.

0.2 Pied, 0.1 Pastel, 0.1 Blonde Pastel, 0.1 Albino, 1.0 Pinstripe, 1.1 Lesser Platium, 1.0 Pastel Het Pied, 1.2 DH for VPI Snow(Albino/Axanthic), 1.0 VPI Snow, 0.1 Caramel 66% Ghost, 0.2 Het Ghost, 0.1 Blonde Pastel Het Ghost, 1.1 Pastel Ghost, 0.2 Black Pastel Het Pied, 1.0 G-Stripe, 0.1 Het G-Stripe, 0.1 Spinner, 1.1 Bumble Bee, 1.1 Honey Bee, 0.1 Pinstripe Het Ghost, 0.1 Russo BEL, 1.0 Clown Ph Ghost, 0.1 Ghost Ph Clown, 0.1 Humble Bee, 1.0 Sugar, 1.0 Black Pastel Het Albino, 0.1 Pinstripe Het Axanthic, 0.1 Butter,

Thanks
    I agree with scuba diver. My first male bp went like 2 or 3 months in the winter without eating. missing 1 or 2 feedings isnt a big deal.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by flyingsqueak View Post
    Look at it like this. Your snake eats a small meal every 5 to 10 days. Some people will say 5 some 7 some 10. Lets agree for sake of argument and math, every 6. I say small because 10% to 15% or prey that is roughly the same girth as the snake is not the largest they are capable of eating. I am sure we can find some people to give us examples of BP's eating much larger. Lets further assume that people normally eat 3 meals a day. Yes I know some people eat more or less and are fine. So lets further assume that you go 6 hours between meals. So that's eating breakfast at 6pm, lunch at noon, and dinner at 6pm. That makes a day for a snake equivalent to about and hour in human time. I know that there are a lot of issues with this analogy but the conclusions you can draw are sound. What you are basically asking is equivalent to saying what will happen if you eat dinner an hour early, or an hour late. The answer is that these are only guidelines that you should try and follow. Your snake is going to be fine just like you would be fine if you went to bed without eating dinner. You might wake up hungrier than normal. It's totally understandable that you are concerned and all anyone can do is tell you that its ok and hope you feel better about it. I remember the first time my snake did a long fast I stopped worrying about missing a meal, or feeding a day late or a day early. My winter fast was particularly long this year but I read some posts on this forum and after hearing a person or two talk about a fast lasting a year or more I began to get some perspective. I have a yearling carpet python that I wouldn't want to go more than 7 days without offering a meal but before I got her, or once she is a little bigger, I wouldn't think twice about going on a 2 week vacation.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,708 Times in 1,206 Posts

He should be fine if he misses one meal. I would NOT recommend feeding him within a few days of leaving, though. If he regurgitates after you leave for any reason, the gastric juices on the rat/mouse can actually eat away at your snake and kill him if left unattended. I know it's unlikely, but better safe than sorry.
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~