Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

0 members and 3,143 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

mouthrot or resp. infection?

Ok so first things first, before you start throwing ninjastars at me, i made a vet appointment already. I just want to know a little more then my vet going into this, and try not to get ripped off.

So,
    i own 1 normal male, (named nagini)

I went to my first reptile expo, expecting to just look. and came home with a notebook full of punnet squares and a yellowbelly female. bellatrix (see a harry potter pattern?)

She is 1 month old. in her own tank, i checked her the day of for bubbles in the mouth, or anything unusual, but it was not until three days later that this happened...

I fed her a teensie pinkie and noticed her jaw was dislocated. Now im not talking about how they stretch their mouths open i mean her mouth was slanted and awkward, i was afraid she had broken it but it popped back into place. then i noticed saliva, now this wasnt foamy, white or extremely unusual. It was clear and in the back of her throat. two days after that pigment in the roof of her mouth turned dark red, so i swabbed it out and it was bloody in the nasal cavities.

i know something is wrong, how serious does it sound? what do you think it is? what are the best medicines to treat with that i should ask the doctor for?
    will she live? Should i contact the breeder i bought her from, what should i say?

Thanks
    Thanked 5,584 Times in 3,092 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: mouthrot or resp. infection?

Honestly? I know that it's not the answer that you're hoping for, but without putting our hands on the snake ourselves, it's next to impossible, not to mention irresponsible for any of us to try to diagnose your snake.

If you've verified that your vet is experienced with working with reptiles, he should be able to help you figure it out.

It probably wouldn't hurt to touch base with the person you purchased it from, but health guarantees generally end about 48 hours after sale, since the breeder can't control the environment the animal is kept in once it's out of their care. But as long as you are polite and not accusing, they may still try to help you out. They aren't obligated to, but they might.