Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,089

0 members and 1,089 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

Scott L. (28)

» Stats

Members: 75,129
Threads: 248,574
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, KILLER112397
    Thanks

Heating Question

so i got everything running in tank today to get temps/humidity ready.
    i kept reading my thermometer(acurite digital) and everything seemed to be good besides coolside only reaching about 79-80. i work in heating and cooling so i already had a temp gun so just to be safe i got it to double check temps.. well i came to find out that substrate over uth is only reaching around 80 but directly on glass is at 92 and the coolside is the same as thermometer reading. i was thinking about turning up thermostat to make substrate warmer but dont wanna burn the snake if it burrows down at all.. any advice would be helpful about what i should do

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

Re: Heating Question

Sometimes if the substrate is to thick you will be a different reading then when you actually take the temps on the glass. How thick is the substrate where you are taking the temps?

Thanks

the substrate seemed a bit thick so i took some out and going to see if that helps at all. i was taking temps around hot side/ inside hot side hide and i was taking temps all throughout coldside in different places. also worried about coldside only getting to 79-80

Thanks
    Thanked 3,036 Times in 2,147 Posts
    cool side temps are just fine
    Jerry Robertson

Thanks

ok thankyou for letting me know about coolside, im letting hotside adjust right now. will take temps with temp gun once they do

Registered User MUSTANGGTANDGSXR's Avatar
    Thanks
    leave the temps on the glass at 92.if the snake wants more heat it will burrow. never let the temp on the glass be over 94
    Racing... because baseball, basketball, football and soccer only use one ball.

7. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to MUSTANGGTANDGSXR For This Useful Post:

fluffpuffgerbil (08-13-2011),Skittles1101 (08-11-2011)

Thanks

ok, thats what i was really wondering. if i should go by glass temp or top of substrate because glass temp is right on just above substrate is lower and didnt know if it would burrow down. i just want everything right and safe for my snake when i get him

Thanks
    Thanked 1,800 Times in 1,267 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by timmyp23 View Post
    ok, thats what i was really wondering. if i should go by glass temp or top of substrate because glass temp is right on just above substrate is lower and didnt know if it would burrow down. i just want everything right and safe for my snake when i get him
    When using Under Tank Heat, you should go by the glass temperature, because that will be the warmest temperature that your snake can come into contact with. I have found that when using the wood substrates, a good thickness for the layer on the warm side is somewhere between 1/2 to 1 inch and loosely packed. This seems to help the heat radiate up through the substrate easier, instead of building up underneath it along the glass.
    "Cry, Havoc! And let slip the dogs of war..."

Thanks

i thinned out the substrate and is alot better now. hotside is at 92, humidity is between 50-55 without misting or anything(i live in michigan so it helps with humidity), cold side has been reading 80-81 all day but when i took temps in/under coldside hide it was only like 76-78 in there. will that be ok or how could i warm it up a little bit? oh and also it might be a dumb question but will my 60watt redlight bulb melt the fake plants i have in there because i been trying to set it a little more towards front to keep it from being over them
    Last edited by timmyp23; 08-12-2011 at 10:07 PM.