Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,222

0 members and 3,222 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

RI question again

Ok so still waiting to take the snakes to the vet as it is very expensive here and my work is screwing me on pay so Im at my wits end though. I have 3 snakes who are showing signs of RI.

One I noticed today was bad and I may just have to take her in. She was blowing bubbles.

I have added these pictures to try and help. I check their temperature daily and its perfect. 91-92 on the hot side and 85-87 on the cool side. The room is also a stable 80-85 degrees. They all shed in one piece so I assume humidity is fine (although I haven't measured)

The rack they are in has tubs with no holes in it. There is approximately a 1/4" gap between the tub and the wood so there is plenty of air flow, plus i open each tub daily to check on them.

I just don't know whats going on. I need to figure it out asap so my other snakes don't get sick.

Before you ask, I have not added any new snakes recently, I quarantine all of my snakes before they are added to my collection, and the ones showing signs are ones I have had for at least a year or more. Here are some pics.

Any ideas are greatly appreciated.

Sorry for the mess! Was cleaning day.

Wood Rack.

Gap

150 AND COUNTING...

Thanks
    ino that ri sometimes happens after the breeding season or for winter stress can cause ri if the temps are right and you havent changed anything i would assume something to do with stress but looking at your setup youve been at this for a while and wouldnt make noob mistakes cheack your tstat just to be sure its working and a vet vist is really the only way to really know what the problem is
    good luck man
    2.3 normals
    1.0 100% het pied
    1.1 spider
    1.0 pastel

Thanks

Re: RI question again

Quote Originally Posted by Abaddon91 View Post
    ino that ri sometimes happens after the breeding season or for winter stress can cause ri if the temps are right and you havent changed anything i would assume something to do with stress but looking at your setup youve been at this for a while and wouldnt make noob mistakes cheack your tstat just to be sure its working and a vet vist is really the only way to really know what the problem is
    good luck man
    I know thermostat is good it only varies .1 degrees and I check daily with my heat gun. Don't think it would have anything to do with the breeding because the ones that have the symptoms are my juveniles. 300g-800g. All my adult females are doing great and putting back on massive weight.

The only vets really in this area charge $60 PER snake, and that's just to see them. Then they charge something like $100 per injection. For three snakes that's like $480.00 just for one visit.

150 AND COUNTING...

Thanks

Has anyone heard anything about nebulizing with that F10 stuff? Cause if that works, this may be a cheaper alternative for me...

150 AND COUNTING...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    You need to add holes in the tubs to allow for some air circulation
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

6. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (08-11-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by llovelace View Post
    You need to add holes in the tubs to allow for some air circulation
    More air holes even though there is almost a 1/4" gap on each tub allowing air flow?

150 AND COUNTING...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,348 Times in 1,016 Posts
    For once I don't agree with llovelace. That 1/4" gap up top lets the heat take the humidity right out of the tub. That's why no gap and holes on the side works better. The heat can rise but the humidity will stay inside. I still think your problem is too low humidity. I'm more north than you but the same temperate climate and my room humidity is mid 30's. I would guess you are lower due to the area you are in being warmer than up here. I have far less holes than a 1/4" gap around the top of the tub and my tubs stay 50-60%. Unless you are measuring it or using a humidifier in your room I bet it is 30% or lower. This CAN and WILL cause RI in snakes. Which ones get it and how soon depends on their overall health. Obviously your temps are good so that leads me to believe that your tubs are waaaaaaaay too dry. Best of luck Sean! I hope you get it figured out.

Regards,

B
    Last edited by Simple Man; 08-11-2011 at 03:49 AM.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Simple Man View Post
    For once I don't agree with llovelace. That 1/4" gap up top lets the heat take the humidity right out of the tub. That's why no gap and holes on the side works better. The heat can rise but the humidity will stay inside. I still think your problem is too low humidity. I'm more north than you but the same temperate climate and my room humidity is mid 30's. I would guess you are lower due to the area you are in being warmer than up here. I have far less holes than a 1/4" gap around the top of the tub and my tubs stay 50-60%. Unless you are measuring it or using a humidifier in your room I bet it is 30% or lower. This CAN and WILL cause RI in snakes. Which ones get it and how soon depends on their overall health. Obviously your temps are good so that leads me to believe that your tubs are waaaaaaaay too dry. Best of luck Sean! I hope you get it figured out.

Regards,

B
    Thanks man, I think im gonna go get a gauge and see what the humidity is. If its too bad Ill have to modify the rack to raise the tubs and ill drill holes.
    Last edited by Rat160; 08-11-2011 at 04:03 AM.

150 AND COUNTING...

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    More air flow! top vents with no lower vents will not promote airflow to the bottom of the tub only the top inch or so. 1/4 inch is simply not enough. I know a friend whom uses f10 and says it works ok for RI in the early stages but blowing bubbles is a late stage it needs to see the vet.