Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,323

3 members and 3,320 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Thanks

Weight loss worry, due to fasting

Hi Forum,

I posted a thread a few weeks ago regarding my pastel 2010 male as he went on feeding strike for the first time. I wasnt worried to much then but now i am getting concerned.

Here is some background info:

He started fasting about 4-5 weeks ago and has refused 4 feeds now, i also tried going back to small mice but still no luck. All husbandry is fine to my knowledge.

The reason for my concern is his weight loss. I periodicaly weigh both snakes and henry peaked at 710 grams before his fast. He is now at 670-680 grams.

He has never been a thick bodied snake, his very long and slender. But now i am worried as with the weight loss he is looking noticicably thinner and saggy in the skin. The worst i have seen him

I have been checking him for signs of RI, no visible signs. The only change in his environment was the introduction of my females tub next to his after her qurentine period, however he ate twice i believe during her introduction and the fasting period he is in now.

He hasnt made a fecal for me to take to the vets as im sure he is very empty.

I have a few questions, is this weight loss dramatic in the time period. And should a trip to the vets be necessary taking into account i dont have a fecal sample.

The problem is i dont want to ride the fast out as i dont think he has enough body weight on him.

Any thoughts or suggestions would be greatly appreciated, his a good little friend
    1.0 Pastel Graziani ( Sir Henry) " Henners " 2010
    0.1 Stinger Bee " Barbara " 2010

Thanks

Re: Weight loss worry, due to fasting

Don't worry. 5 weeks really isn't that long. My female once went on hunger strike for like 3 months or so and in that time she to lost about 280 g... I have read about BP's on the forum that didn't eat for 5-6 months...

Just keep offering him food every week or so and when he feels like it, he will take it

Oh, and maybe double check you're husbandry, check out temps and humidity. If they are fine he just doesn't feel like eating. They tend to do that...
    Check if nothing is stressing him out, that could be a reason for not eating. Try and leave him alone so he feels secure, just change the water etc.
    Wouldn't go to the vet already, would only stress him out, probably for no reason....
    Last edited by thomasK; 08-08-2011 at 04:56 PM.

3. The Following User Says Thank You to thomasK For This Useful Post:

ms381 (08-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,356 Times in 1,377 Posts
    What have you been feeding him (f/t or live) and how did he typically act at feeding time? Is he showing any interest at all? Have you tried different times of day/night/morning? Any pics of him now? 710 grams to 670-680 doesn't seem too extreme.
    Lucifer Sam, Siam cat...
    Always sitting by your side,
    Always by your side...
    That cat's something I can't explain...

5. The Following User Says Thank You to sho220 For This Useful Post:

ms381 (08-09-2011)

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

He might think it's breeding season. That's when males typically go off feed.

How old is your female? While no one fully understands them, female BP's do have scent glands and your could be giving off some pheramones that the male is picking up on.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it yet.
    - Mason

7. The Following User Says Thank You to MasonC2K For This Useful Post:

ms381 (08-09-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I have a male normal that went off feed for 43 days. He had dropped some weight too. He went from 917 grams down to 842 grams during that particular fast. I would not worry to much at this point. These snakes are notorious for going off feed sometimes.

9. The Following User Says Thank You to ballpythonluvr For This Useful Post:

ms381 (08-09-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by sho220 View Post
    What have you been feeding him (f/t or live) and how did he typically act at feeding time? Is he showing any interest at all? Have you tried different times of day/night/morning? Any pics of him now? 710 grams to 670-680 doesn't seem too extreme.
    He is a live feeder, he was on small rats imo a perfect size for him. Since his fast ive tried small mice (what he started on when i got him) and i even tried a frozen thawed just in case he took that (no such luck!)

I usually feed during the day for both as they have always been good feeders, he had never skipped a meal unitl now and my female eats like crazy. However i think that will be my next trick, to feed at night. Thanks.

The typical reaction is, he will very slowly go up to the rat or mouse, i would say not in a stalking hunting way, casually flick the tougue and then turn away when the rodent gets to close. He never goes into that tight s shape, u know when they are really hungry and they are going to launch at the it.

I will get some pics, before and after shots.

Thanks

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    He might think it's breeding season. That's when males typically go off feed.

How old is your female? While no one fully understands them, female BP's do have scent glands and your could be giving off some pheramones that the male is picking up on.

Regardless, I wouldn't worry about it yet.
    Im not sure if shes mature enough yet, shes a 2010 weighing a good 750 grams. the thought had crossed my mind however.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I wouldn't worry about it too much yet. He's only lost about 7% of his body weight so far. My PYB lost over 16% of her body weight when she went on her 2 month fast. They'll eat when they are ready to.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

13. The Following User Says Thank You to Kinra For This Useful Post:

ms381 (08-09-2011)

Thanks

Thanks you all for the help. I will continue to monitor his weight and offer some food next week in the evening and see how he does. I will update on his progress and weight loss on the thread and post some pics if he is looking really bad.

Matt

Telling it like it is! Stewart_Reptiles's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 20,811 Times in 9,584 Posts
    Blog Entries
    40 grams is not something I would worry about most snakes will lose that much by defecating and urinating.

5 miss meals is also hardly anything.

The main thing is to make sure your husbandry is on spot and that the animal is not overly stressed, limit handling and keep offering what used to work.

Some animals especially males do not need that much food, offer small prey items and consider feeding at larger intervals.

Of course if you are really concern you can always take your animal to a vet but there is nothing that he will be able to do to make your snake resume eating.

It's frustrating but part of owning ball pythons sometimes .......wait till you have one that doesn't eat for a year
    Deborah Stewart

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast