Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,174

1 members and 3,173 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Lighting question? what bulb can i run 24/7?

Hi everyone,

I'm a new forum member and ball python owner . As stated above my question is about the lighting for my ball python. My set up at the moment is a 20 gallon fish tank vivarium. My grandad gave it to me so it wasn't what i originally wanted (did want wooden tank with sliding glass) but thought i would give it a go. When i got the tank it had a phillips 40watt blue bulb in it, the bulb was giving me almost ideal temperature and 70 to 80% humidity was maintained. The problem was that the bulb must remain on 24/7 to maintain the right temps and i was worried that this would be a problem being on 24/7 effecting the snakes light cycle althoug some say red/blue/green is ok as 24/7 lighting..

I have done a lot of research on ball pythons and read many care sheets plus articles and even got advice from three differen't pet/ reptile shops on lighting. I keep going round in circles on what advice to follow and what not. One place told me the bp needs uv light throughout the day and a heat mat at night but i know from what i've read snakes don't need uv lighting but just a light cycle, so i'm assuming this is wrong advice.

After doing some more research and not really getting anywhere i bought a red bulb 60watt which is plugged into a dimmer thermostat. Now i am happy to run a red bulb 24/7 but i wondered what peoples advice would be on this? Again i have read that its fine to run a red bulb 24/7 and others say its not Also what seems strange is the 60watt red bulb doesn't put out as much heat as the 40watt blue?

I'm looking to have one bulb i can run 24/7 to keep the temps right. I have thought about a ceramic heater but then i would need an additional light because i would like to see into the tank. Also i don't really want a heat matt and again some people are against heat mats (due to burns etc) and some are all for them I know this sort of topic has been covered numerous times but, i can't seem to find the correct answer if there is one. Hope you can help and looking forward to some advice thanks for reading.

Thanks
    Oli

Thanks
    No, ball pythons do not need UV light. If you can maintain the right temperatures and humidity then the bulb is fine, and the red light shouldn't bother them (as far as we know - we never really sat down and chatted with our BPs about lights lol).

Again, as long as you're sure you're getting the right temperatures and humidity then by all means, use the light. Personally I prefer the heats mats because I'm a believer in the belly heat concept. As long as it's plugged in to a reliable thermostat then the chance of burns is practically null. That's just my preference though.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

3. The Following User Says Thank You to Alexandra V For This Useful Post:

kitedemon (08-08-2011)

Thanks

Re: Lighting question? what bulb can i run 24/7?

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra V View Post
    No, ball pythons do not need UV light. If you can maintain the right temperatures and humidity then the bulb is fine, and the red light shouldn't bother them (as far as we know - we never really sat down and chatted with our BPs about lights lol).

Again, as long as you're sure you're getting the right temperatures and humidity then by all means, use the light. Personally I prefer the heats mats because I'm a believer in the belly heat concept. As long as it's plugged in to a reliable thermostat then the chance of burns is practically null. That's just my preference though.
    For sure under tank heater and a thermostat. They don't need any light at all.
    0.1.0 Normal Ball Python 2.0.0 BCI ?
    1.0.0 Western Hognose 0.0.1 Albino Tangerine Honduran Milk Snake
    0.1.0 Rosy Boa 0.1.0 Snow Motley Corn snake
    0.0.1 Honduran Milk Snake 0.1.0 Gray Banded King Snake
    2.0.0 Okeetee Corn Snakes 0.1.0 Apricot Pueblan Milk snake
    0.0.1 Anery Corn Snake 1.2.0 Hog Island Boas
    1.1.0 Colombian Rainbow Boa 0.1.0 Nicaraguan Boa
    0.1.0 California King Snake 1.0.0 Solomon Island ground Boa
    1.1.0 Amelanistic Nelson's Milk Snake 0.1.0 Sunglow Boa
    0.0.1 Guyanan Red Tail

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    UTH are a very efficient heat source. But as Alexandra stated the temps matter how you get there do not. Royal pythons have heat pits, they are processed by the optical cortex in the brain. they 'see' heat. red or green or ceramic basically are the same. White seems to bother them at night and isn't recommended.

You can use either red or green, blue lights if you don't want nigh viewing lights a ceramic heat emitter is more efficient power to heat wise. It is up to yourself. Remember the snake should NEVER be able to touch the bulb directly and UTh need to be regulated by something (t-stat or rheostat)

Thanks

Re: Lighting question? what bulb can i run 24/7?

Thanks for the quick replies. I'm going to stick with the 60watt red and then get an under tank heater with a mat stat. Finally made a decision lol

Thanks for all the help
    Oli