Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,162

0 members and 3,162 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

20 gallon long...

Setting up a 20 long for my daugthers so they can see G-BOY in the tank....i have 2 heat matts, 2 hides,2 thermostats,and 2 temperature gauges...the question is where should i put the probes.... on the glass on top of the uth or should i put it on top of the green turf and then cover it with cypress mulch...hope u get what i am trying to say....i dont want to put the cypress right onto the glass...he will move the cypress and then he will be right on the glass with the uth there...it might get to hot...thanks Richie....
    MALES.. 1.0 Coral glow Mojave... 1.0 Coral glow Scaleless head... 1.0 Coral glow Het Pied.. 1.0 Orange dream pastel.. 1.0 Black head Pastel Rng Rg.. 1.0 Calico Yellowbelly.. FEMALES.. 0.1 Bumblebee Scaleless head.. 0.1 Black Pastel 66 Axantic.. 0.1 Leopard Lesser Pastel.. 0.1 Champange Pastel.. 0.1 Pastel Het Pied.. 0.1 Enchi… 0.1 GHI.. 0.1 Het Albino.. 0.1 Mojave.. 0.1 Normal....

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    I believe the probe goes right on top of the glass.

Personally I don't have a thermometere with a probe (I check daily with my temp gun on top of the substrate and glass while I have a ambient air and humidity thermometer free standing in the tubs), so I'll provide some suggestions that could help in your situation.

If you're worried about him moving the substrate and laying right on top of the glass here's what I do as I was worried about the same thing: I bought some of that "repti carpet" from pet stores (I used those felt squares from Michaels craft stores also: $.99 for one) and laid it on top of where the heat mat is. On top of that I use newspaper and on top of that some paper towels. Temps stay as they should and I've never had any of my snakes burrow under it to the heat mat (perhaps I'm lucky but I do have two "diggers" and haven't had an problems with them).

Oh, why do you have two heat mats? You have a hot and a cold side correct?

Plus, if you want a good display snake (as BPs stay hidden often) you might consider a corn or a king. Mine are super active and love being out and about. Perhaps your daughters will enjoy watching one of those better than seeing a huddled and hidden BP all the time (they do better than BPs in tanks also because they arn't as picky as far as humidity/temp goes -IMO-)

Hope that helps you some!
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

Re: 20 gallon long...

Thats what i have the repti-carpet..(couldn't think of the name)..For why i have 2 heat mats...i have 2 mats so i could keep the cool side at 80 and the hot side around 91.. i live in new york and my house stays around 70 in the winter...my spider likes to move around alot...he eats every week and is my best ball.....all my others are in the hides all the time and they are all kept in the same rack... he just likes to roam....thanks for the help..Richie
    MALES.. 1.0 Coral glow Mojave... 1.0 Coral glow Scaleless head... 1.0 Coral glow Het Pied.. 1.0 Orange dream pastel.. 1.0 Black head Pastel Rng Rg.. 1.0 Calico Yellowbelly.. FEMALES.. 0.1 Bumblebee Scaleless head.. 0.1 Black Pastel 66 Axantic.. 0.1 Leopard Lesser Pastel.. 0.1 Champange Pastel.. 0.1 Pastel Het Pied.. 0.1 Enchi… 0.1 GHI.. 0.1 Het Albino.. 0.1 Mojave.. 0.1 Normal....