Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

1 members and 3,328 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast
    Registered User blueberrypancakes's Avatar
    Thanks

Feeding in a seperate tank

I have a separate tank in which to feed my BP. I don't want to handle him before or after, though. Should I just put him in the feeding tank and leave him for a few hours before trying? Maybe put him in at the same time that I put the mouse out to thaw? What about getting him back into his home tank? How do you do it?

Thanks
    My boys handles their bp and then puts him in the feeding tank. After the mouse is about midway down we carry the whole tank to his home and gently place him in his tank. We have not had problems at all.
    2.3 Quarter Horses
    1.0 Dogs, Beagal
    2.2 Box Turtles
    0.0.3 Ball Python
    Cows

Thanks
    If you're concerned about it just keep him in his own tank when you feed. I know there are a wide variety of reasons people use a seperate tub but if you don't move him you won't have this problem. Plus, from what I've read on here, you run the risk of regurdge.
    1.0 Boxer (Boba…@bobatheboxer on IG)
    -----------------------------------------------------------------
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    SUPPORT OUR WOUNDED WARRIORS
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Registered User blueberrypancakes's Avatar
    Thanks
    hey jedi, is your smilie lettin one go? very cute...

Thanks

Re: Feeding in a seperate tank

Quote Originally Posted by blueberrypancakes View Post
    hey jedi, is your smilie lettin one go? very cute...
    hahahaha...yep.
    "Blaming the leader of the fools should not blind anyone to the vast confederacy of fools that made him their leader."
    ~unknown~
    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Thanks
    Personally, I feed my BP in a seperate tub. The way I do it is on feeding night, I will open his enclosure door, put his feeding tub in front of it and he will crawl out and into the tub on his own. I then take him and the tub into the bathroom where I feed him ( My wife does not want to see it.) Then once I am done filming him eat and he has completely swallowed the rat/rats and re-adjusted his jaw he will raise his head up to the top of the tub, so I put the lid back on it and take him back into the room where his enclosure is. I then open his enclosure door, place the tub in front of it, remove the lid, tilt it on a 45degree angle and he will crawl back out and into his enclosure on his own. So I do not need to handle him at all for the process, it has taken me a couple months to get him into this routine. I don't feed him in his enclosure because of substrate, swimming pool, water bowl, hides, fountain and other decorations.
    I used to just reach in and get hime, put him in the feeding tub then once it was over I would pick him back up and place him in his enclosure, but I did not like doing this because I felt bad picking him up after he ate, so that is why I do it the way I do now.
    Pics below are of the different steps just for a more visual/interesting post.

Last edited by Jaxx; 08-07-2011 at 10:17 PM.
    1.0.0 - Harlequin Crested Gecko. (Crestopher). 20G enclosure
    1.0.0 - Reticulated Gargoyle Gecko. (Draco). 20G enclosure
    1.0.0 - Ball Python (Jaxx). 162G Enclosure
    1.0.0 - Red Phase Bearded Dragon. (Havoc) 25G enclosure
    http://www.youtube.com/user/mediabandit

Thanks
    so i feed in a separate cage/tank typically only for the really aggressive snakes i have owned but it is a good habit to get into if you can. I would say place the snake that is to be feed in the feeding tank about 5-10 min before you present them the food. Also it helps if there is a way to make it a very habit/patterned type even. example i used a large rubbermaid with snap on lid tub that WAS NOT see through. I would open the lid and present the food. and never close it after that. this way opening of the feed tub was a trigger(pattern and routine) of when food was coming not when the lid of the housing tank/tub was opened.

once they are done eating you can simply place them back just be careful of where the food is in their body and support them correctly. I did this with the Burm I had because the feed response was crazy and I was tired of it constantly trying to eat me every time i opened the lid to the housing pen. It will take them a bit to adjust and understand the routine but worth it if you they are tough to handle because of feed response.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

Anti-Thread Necro Patrol
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,230 Times in 739 Posts
    Blog Entries

Personally, I have never seen a reason to feed is a separate area. The idea that a snake can associate opening their enclosure to food is a myth.

The only reason to do that separetely I can think of is if you house multiple snakes in one enclosure, but that is something only true experts should even attempt.
    - Mason

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by MasonC2K View Post
    Personally, I have never seen a reason to feed is a separate area. The idea that a snake can associate opening their enclosure to food is a myth.
    I would strongly disagree. I can see where in most cases it isnt needed; however if you believe they get use to being handled, why couldnt they get use to a pattern and routine for eating? These are creatures of very basic patterns and routines, and that is something you can get them adjusted to in most cases if there is a need.
    1.0 Normal Ball Python
    1.0 Normal Het Orange Ghost Ball Python
    0.1 Mojave Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Ball python
    0.1 Orange Ghost Het Caramel Ball python
    0.1 Spotted Python
    1.0 Jungle Carpet Python

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by tcutting View Post
    I would strongly disagree. I can see where in most cases it isnt needed; however if you believe they get use to being handled, why couldnt they get use to a pattern and routine for eating? These are creatures of very basic patterns and routines, and that is something you can get them adjusted to in most cases if there is a need.
    Well, one example is I handle way more often then I feed, I feed on a certain day and don't handle at all, and when I do handle I use hand sanitizer before I handle but not at all when I am feeding. So I guess they get used to that pattern.
    ~unknown~

Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast