Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,182

1 members and 3,181 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91

Thread: Possible RI?

Thanks

Possible RI?

I have a normal BP who is about 9 years old that I have had for 3 years. He is showing some signs that are making me think that he could have a respiratory infection. On the other hand, it is only one sign and everything is pretty much normal. About once every 1-2 hours, I hear a loud "hiss-ish" sound coming from him. It sounds like it could be wheezing or other noise that could signal an RI. He is also moving around his tank a little more than normal. He has been making these noises for months, but they are somewhat more frequent in the past few weeks. I have checked inside his mouth and there is mucus coming out of his mouth or nose. He is also eating normally. I don't want to take him to a vet if he doesn't have an RI. Could someone tell me what these symptoms mean?
    0.0.1 Normal ball python
    0.0.5 Hermit Crabs

Thanks

Re: Possible RI?

it sounds like RI to me.take it to the vet before you lose it.up your temps a little bit in the meanwhile.seems a very long time to have RI tho

Thanks

Typo!!

I meant to say that there is NO MUCUS coming out of his mouth. His mouth and nose are completely normal
    0.0.1 Normal ball python
    0.0.5 Hermit Crabs

Thanks

hmm strange.hopefully someone with more experience will help you out.might sound stupid butare you sure he isnt just hissing?

good luck

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    The noise may be nothing more than a tiny bit of shed in the nostril. I have a couple that whistle when breathing hard. Sound alone isn't cause. Mucus in and around the mouth and elevated head position as well as a desire to stay straight not coiled up. Mucus discharge is a big one. it is the only one alone that is cause for a vet visit. The others one is enough reason to pay attention for a while but not enough to go to the vet. When you start seeing multiple symptoms together noises and raised head (frequent and unusual) , then I would be concerned.

Thanks

I am going through a similar issue myself. My 07 pastel the other day kill a rat but did not eat. As I was taking the rat out and looking her over I noticed a small amount of mucus. It has been a few days and I haven't noticed any mucus since, but she has very faint sound when she is breathing. Don' know if I should take her now to catch it early, or wait because I am not sure if she has a RI?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by moony View Post
    hmm strange.hopefully someone with more experience will help you out.might sound stupid butare you sure he isnt just hissing?

good luck
    I mean it could be hissing, but I can't figure out what he is hissing at.

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    The noise may be nothing more than a tiny bit of shed in the nostril. I have a couple that whistle when breathing hard. Sound alone isn't cause. Mucus in and around the mouth and elevated head position as well as a desire to stay straight not coiled up. Mucus discharge is a big one. it is the only one alone that is cause for a vet visit. The others one is enough reason to pay attention for a while but not enough to go to the vet. When you start seeing multiple symptoms together noises and raised head (frequent and unusual) , then I would be concerned.
    I asked this same question on here several months ago and someone suggested the same thing that it was shed in his nose. He has had several sheds since then and there doesn't appear to be any skin in his nose, so I really don't know. And by the raised head, you mean him having his head sticking straight up, right?
    0.0.1 Normal ball python
    0.0.5 Hermit Crabs

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    It can be just the way they are formed it doesn't need to be shed. My brother snores, I don't, similar thing in snake land. I mean not bent so much usually raised, not always.