Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,281

1 members and 3,280 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Questions Regarding My 2 Ball Pythons

Hi, I have 2 ball pythons , I don't think they are adults yet..

I have them both in a 10 gal dose this mean one is a boy and one is a girl or can the same genders be together and act good , like not fighting with each other?

One of my snakes have 2 silver eyes, I have read about this but I don't want to hurt my snake . Will they silver eyes fall off by its self?

How many times should I feed them?

Should I pick them up every day?

Any other helpful tips?

Thanks

Re: Questions Regarding My 2 Ball Pythons

Doesnt sound like you have done much research on ball pythons. But I feed mine once a week but babies i want to get to breeding size quick(mostly new males) I feed twice a week. You dont have to handle them everyday either. And If they are hatchling i guess you could keep them in a 10 gal as long as it has proper heat, humidity, and hides and a water bowl. I Like rack systems better than aquariums though. If they are adults 10 gal wont be enough for 2 adults. How much do they weigh and how old are they?

Thanks
    Thanked 3,152 Times in 2,887 Posts

I would not recommend housing the two snakes together. If one gets ill the other will certainly become ill as well. The silver eyes you are seeing could be that your snake is in shed or it could be retained eye caps. You need to make sure your humidity is adequate for when the snakes are in shed. Please take a look at the caresheets that we have here and that will help you with any questions that you may have, and if you still have questions after reading the caresheets, please don't hesitate to ask. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on this forum that would love to help you out.
    Last edited by ballpythonluvr; 08-07-2011 at 12:44 PM.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    1. Welcome to BP.net. There's a ton of good info on here.
    2. Seperate the snakes. You need one enclosure per animal.
    3. Check on the caresheets here for setting up the enclosures for each snake.
    4. Once a week feeding is fairly normal. But if you don't have proper heat/humidity/cages you may not end up with well feeding healthy snakes.

Posting pictures and specifics as to your cage would help a lot. What kind of thermostat do you have to control the temps? What sort of heat? What kind of hides?

Looking forward to pictures of your new snakes!
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks
    Don't put 2 snakes in one tank you havint been doing research

Thanks
    Thanked 1,841 Times in 1,268 Posts
    Here is the caresheet if you haven't found it on the site yet: http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...ius)-Caresheet

As others have said, please separate them, they both need their own enclosure.

For 2 being in a 10 gallon that seems a bit small, even for hatchings (IMO) but since you are on the fence about them being adults or not I'm assuming they are not hatchlings and probably subadults. Do you have a scale? If not, I recommend getting one asap, I got mine for $15 at Walmart (get a food digital scale). Once you know weights we can better recommend a good sized tank (or tub which is what I personally recommend) for your two BPs.

As for feeding, I recommend either every 5 days to every 7 days. Again, if you know the weight of your snakes in grams we can give you recommendations on what sized prey they need if you're unsure (or you can eyeball it yourself: feed a prey thats about the same size as the largest part of your snake's body (width)). I would again assume that they arn't hatchlings and they can be taking at least adult mice right now.

Handling: I wouldn't handle everyday as this could stress out your snake, but a few times a week is perfect IMO. Don't handle 1-2 days after feeding.

Hope that helps!
    ~Angelica~
    See my collection HERE

4.15 Ball Pythons
    1.1 Angolan Pythons
    2.2 Cali Kings_______________________0.1 SSTP Black Blood
    1.1 T+ Argentine BCOs______________1.0 Snow Bull
    1.3 Colombian morph BCIs___________0.1 Coastal Carpet
    0.1 Hog Island BCI__________________0.1 Platinum Retic
    0.1 Het Anery BCL __________________0.1 Lavender Albino Citron Retic
    0.2 Central American morph BCIs_____1.0 Blonde/Caramel Retic
    0.1 Pokigron Suriname BCC__________0.1 Goldenchild Retic
    0.0.1 Corn

Thanks

There both in a 10 gal for now probably for another week or two. My cuz bought me them one for me and one for my sister..

Right now they both have silver eye caps, I think they are shedding do they usually get this before they shed?

I'm going to upload some picture soon maybe in a hour or two... Im moving sometime this week into my new apartment and when I do I am going to separate them both each in its own 10 gal tank.

One already bitten my sister because she touched it right after they ate..

I am going to take a look at the Caresheet right now and study it..

I have had a red tail boa for about 3 years its about 5ft.

Single Serving Friend jsmorphs2's Avatar
    Thanks

Everyone gave great advice.

Quote Originally Posted by ReMiXeDg View Post
    Right now they both have silver eye caps, I think they are shedding do they usually get this before they shed?
    If you're referring to the fact that its eye has some silver in the iris than thats normal. Lots of normals have silver or gold in there eyes. If you were refering to the eyes being completely cloudy looking then yes, that is the "opaque" or "blue" stage of the shed cycle. Just keep your humidity right during this time, even providing a humid hide is a good idea if the tank is on the dryer side.

Good luck on your move and keep reading . We are never done learning about these awesome animals.
    ~Jessica~

Thanks

how can i control the humidity?

Thanks
    I recommend getting an acurite indoor outdoor thermometer/hygrometer. If the humidity starts to fall, use a spray bottle and most the enclosure to get it back up.
    Can't stop with just one!
    0.2 normal bp's (Crusher and Zoiee)
    1.0 normal burmese (Mitch)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast