Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,143

2 members and 3,141 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,112
Threads: 248,552
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, NxtGenExotics

Thread: Is is normal?

Thanks

Is is normal?

My BP hasn't come out of his hide, not even at night, in nearly 2 weeks. He even shedded in his hide. Temps are spot on. I have him in a glass tank with a heat lamp. I know UTHs are better but in my house, even with all my vents closed, I can't get his tank hot enough and I can't turn up the heat in the house.

The bulb is a red bulb. Was told that the snake can't see that sort of light. Was just seeing if it's normal for him to be in his hide all freakin' day and night.

He only comes out of his hide when I pick him up and then when he's done being held he'll chill out in the tank and then after a few minutes he'll make his way back into his hide. He hasn't eaten in 2 weeks due to shed and then me moving him into his new place. Gonna try to feed him tonight to see if he'll take it.
    1.0 Lemon Blast Ball Python
    2.0 Weimaraners
    0.2 Weimaraners
    1.0 Cocker Spaniel

2. The Following User Says Thank You to templarknight For This Useful Post:

blueberrypancakes (08-06-2011)

Thanks
    That is how snakes feel safe. They hide. BP's are known for hiding. They are pretty shy snakes. I wouldn't worry about the snake hiding so much.

Star

Thanks
    A hiding BP is a happy BP

Thanks
    Thanked 7,201 Times in 3,028 Posts
    Blog Entries

Re: Is is normal?

They're very sedentary creatures. For the most part, they're only active when they need to be...which is when they're hungry and looking for food...or when something in their environment is uncomfortable and they're looking for a way to relieve that discomfort.

Keep in mind though, that there are no hard and fast rules for ball pythons. This is just a generalized and simplified description of their behavior. Some individuals are more active than others, and sometimes they're active for no reason that we can figure out. But mostly...they just sleep.
    -- Judy

Thanks
    Ok. Was getting really worried there for a moment. I "blacked", by this I mean I took green painter's tape and taped up all sides so no one can peer in, and the last side I didn't get is up against my grey wall so it's somewhat blacked out.

I knew the whole a hiding bp is a happy bp but was worried since my never leaves his hide unless I pick him up. Makes me glad that Im doing it right in a glass tank setup.
    1.0 Lemon Blast Ball Python
    2.0 Weimaraners
    0.2 Weimaraners
    1.0 Cocker Spaniel

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts
    I have some that roam and some you will never see out unless I go in and get it.

I would still run an UTH, its not always going to heat the whole tank, think of it more as a basking spot for belly heat. A good thermostat and flex-a-watt will give them an area to warm and relax

Registered User blueberrypancakes's Avatar
    Thanks
    thanks for asking that, mine does the same thing! I thought maybe I was doing something wrong, but everything looked good from where I was. Is this your first BP, too?