Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,197

1 members and 3,196 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
    Thanks

Living Vivarium Ideas

Hey just sitting think about designing a living vivarium for my ball python. I have searched everwhere for info and not really getting anything of how its done!

I want to give her the natural feel and look, like if she was out in the wild.

Has anyone got any ideas where I could info on how its done and what stuff would be best to use for it?

Cheers

Sometimes It Hurts... PitOnTheProwl's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 6,985 Times in 4,274 Posts

Re: Living Vivarium Ideas

Quote Originally Posted by simon17 View Post
    I want to give her the natural feel and look, like if she was out in the wild.
    Termite mound, lots of dirt.............

Really though, if you are going to try and use live plants, good luck because she will crush most of them.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Keeping-Sn.../dp/1882770633

This book is about how to set up and maintain a active living enclosures. I know someone whom has done so and it is amazing and the set up effort is worth it as once correct there is very little maintenance trimming plants and watering picking up poo, the rest just gets stirred in, it needs little in the way of anything else.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by PitOnTheProwl View Post
    Termite mound, lots of dirt.............

Really though, if you are going to try and use live plants, good luck because she will crush most of them.
    Wasn't gonna use alot of live plants, just a few in the corners so they can be like a canopy for cover, it was mostly for the ground and tree trunk style with vines and maybe a waterfall...the idea is my head and i can't put it to paper,lol when i see other ideas i want them all in one! hahaha

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by kitedemon View Post
    http://www.amazon.com/Art-Keeping-Sn.../dp/1882770633

This book is about how to set up and maintain a active living enclosures. I know someone whom has done so and it is amazing and the set up effort is worth it as once correct there is very little maintenance trimming plants and watering picking up poo, the rest just gets stirred in, it needs little in the way of anything else.

I seen that book being mentioned some where before just didnt think that would detail what i was looking. But since you know someone that has it and done well from it, think i'll just get it!!

Thanks
    Thanked 1,795 Times in 1,391 Posts
    I own it as well. It is a great book! It basically is a how to manual of a bioactive system. It details the base information of principals and a simple how to. The one I know of (germany) is fully active live plants are required as far as I know he didn't introduce insects but some do. He does solid waste management himself by removing it. But apart from washing out the water bowl that is all he does. He changes out dirt every 12 months but that is not total just some dirt. It is kinda amazing it smells like when you lay in a field. Very clean and fresh.

I want to set one up myself but am a very poor gardner and am actually afraid of indoor gardens which is basically what this is, I find in very intimidating.