Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 1,188

2 members and 1,186 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,137
Threads: 248,577
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, dangereux
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Thanks

Quick questino in regards to size/caging of for a BCI

Hey guys,

some of you may have seen my previous comments about purchasing an RTB but I had issues with not having space for two snakes. Well that may have changed! So I'm looking into getting a columbian red tail, and have seen a ton of conflicting imformation in regards to cage size, and male vs female growth. A lot of people say that a 6x2x2 is minimum for a full grown female, is this really true? I have a 4x2x1 cage, and would love to have a female (mostly the size factor) and it would be really difficult for me to manage a 6x2x2 cage. Could anyone clear this up?

One more thing, I'm buying a columbian because I love the look, and I want to get into larger snakes. Will a male be pleantly large for me? Or should I go for a female? I want it to be at least 6+ (preferable 7+).

Thanks,
    GA

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I have my 8+ ft girl in a 4x4x1
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Thanks

Thumbs up

4x2x1 will be just fine its up to you if you want her to have the extra space.
    Last edited by snake2615; 07-29-2011 at 05:07 AM.

Thanks

Re: Quick questino in regards to size/caging of for a BCI

Really? Thats great to hear! Because it would only be for the next few years, then I could build her a new cage . Thanks guys!!!

Cheers,
    Fatal

Thanks
    Thanked 1,951 Times in 1,357 Posts
    4x2x1 = 8 cubic feet.
    4x4x1 = 16 cubic feet
    4x2x2 = 16 cubic feet
    6x2x2 = 24 cubic feet

4x2x1 is, in my opinion, too small for a fully grown female BCI. 4x2x2 would be better. You can go a foot higher rather than wider and achieve the minimum 16 cubic feet of space. Given the opportunity with a 2' high cage, your BCI may climb and the 4' length won't be a problem. A 4x2x2 will only take up the same footprint of space as a 4x2x1.

A male BCI will easily achieve a length of 6 feet or more. A female will be around 7-9 or more. A male is still a VERY impressive animal! But they can do a bit better in the size cage you are considering. I do recommend 4x2x2 as a minimum for a female and 6x2x2 is better. If you have your heart set on a BCI and space is an issue, I would most certainly go with a male. But the choice is yours.

If the space issue is only for the next couple years, why not get a baby or a 1 year old to start? You can have a baby in a 20 gal long tank that's only 30x12x12 INCHES! A 1 yr old snake might also be ok in that or maybe a 40gal breeder sized tank - that's only 36x18x18 inches. I have a 4month old baby BCI in a 20gal long and she'll (yes, it's a female) stay in that for the next year at least. They grow fast, but not so fast as to rapidly outgrow that size tank.

But good for you for thinking it out responsibly before bringing the snake home!
    Last edited by Evenstar; 07-29-2011 at 09:32 PM.
    ~ Kali
    www.facebook.com/kaliopereptiles

Check out my collection:
    Do you?

6. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Evenstar For This Useful Post:

Kinra (07-29-2011),purplemuffin (07-29-2011)

Thanks
    My juvenile Colombian BCI female is currently in a 4x2x1 PVC enclosure at 10 - 11 months of age (she is a giant for her age though, she is 3 ' and 8.49 " )

So, unless you get a fast growing female, you shouldn't need to get a big cage for awhile. But if you do get a female it will almost certainly need a 6x2x1 or similar cage EVENTUALLY.

The rule of thumb is that a cage must be at least half the length of the snake, so if you do get a female you can house her in various sized tubs until she gets over 4 foot, then you would need a 4x2x1 (or 4x2x2) until she reaches 8 foot

after 8 foot you would need to switch her to a 6x2x1 minimum

A male would need a lot less cage space for its entire life.

And, to answer your question on sizes between sexes, Females are usually 7 - 11 feet (although anything over 9 foot is huge, and 10 - 11 foot is monstrous)

Males are usually 5 - 7 foot long, maybe 8 but females are almost always much bigger.

And, we aren't even taking weight into account. Female colombian BCI boas can be anywhere from 15 - 60, and even upwards of 80 pounds! (again, the bigger the more rare it is)

Males are ofcourse a lot less bulky than females

Hope this info has helped!
    0.1 Super Hypo Tangerine Carrot Tail Baldy Leopard Gecko, "Lily"
    0.1 Colombian BCI Het Snow! "Powder, The Spitzberg Beast"
    1.0 Colombian BCI Lipstick Hypo het Albino, Nameless for now
    0.0.1 Striped California King Snake, Nameless for now
    0.0.1 Northern Pine Snake, "Bubbles"
    1.0 Macklots/Savuensis Python HYBRID, "Shaka 'The Psychopath' Zulu"

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    I agree with Evenstar. If you get a baby it should do fine in the cage you have for a year or two, maybe more. I currently have my little BCI in a 40gal breeder. I've had her for about 3 months now and while she has grown, it's easy to see that she won't out grow the cage for a while.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks

Well you guys have certainly given me a lot to think on...

I currently have my male BP in the 4x2x1 cage and while its a little big he's got multiple hides and such and is pleanty happy (eats/poops regularly ). So what I'm thinking is that I build another cage just like it, but a 4x2x2 and stack them. Just hoping I don't get one of those MONSTER (10-12) females, but I'd be able to make it work if I did .

I have but one last question for you guys. When do BCI's usually lay their clutches and who are some good boa breeders that you would recommend? I'd love to get a female baby (1-3 months of age would be perfect) and put her in my old 20 gal tub setup for about a year, gives me pleanty of time to build a new cage and stuff.

Thanks for all the help,
    Fatal

Thanks

I disagree with the height being all that important. Most boa breeders will keep their adult females in 4x2x1 cages. Of course if you get a monster (which is rare) you will probably have to go to a 6 foot cage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fataltix View Post
    Well you guys have certainly given me a lot to think on...

I currently have my male BP in the 4x2x1 cage and while its a little big he's got multiple hides and such and is pleanty happy (eats/poops regularly ). So what I'm thinking is that I build another cage just like it, but a 4x2x2 and stack them. Just hoping I don't get one of those MONSTER (10-12) females, but I'd be able to make it work if I did .

I have but one last question for you guys. When do BCI's usually lay their clutches and who are some good boa breeders that you would recommend? I'd love to get a female baby (1-3 months of age would be perfect) and put her in my old 20 gal tub setup for about a year, gives me pleanty of time to build a new cage and stuff.

Thanks for all the help,
    Fatal
    Boas also have litters instead of clutches but not sure what time of the year is most common for them to be available. Jimisnakes, VPI, and Rio Bravo Reptiles come to mind when thinking of good boa breeders although there are tons more out there.
    0.1.0 RTB (Kona)
    0.1.0 RTB Anery 66% PH Albino
    1.0.0 RTB Hypo Het Anery 50% PH Albino
    1.0.0 BP (King Julian)
    0.1.0 BRB (Tiki)

Andrew Geibel

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    Here is Akita in her 4x2x1 she's just a tad over 8ft
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

12. The Following User Says Thank You to llovelace For This Useful Post:

Jason Bowden (08-01-2011)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast