Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,454

0 members and 3,454 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks

Re: Easy fish recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by Kylegep View Post
    The thing about the white clouds is they don't need a heater but it is preferred that they have some kind of filtration system, now for the guppies glofish and other danios they need both a water heater and a filter or they won't last very long. I work at an aquarium so I have a pretty good understanding of fish. The best thing for something that is 1 gallon or so is a betta.
    I'm not going to get into a credential war with you... so let me address why I suggested what I did. Most small table top type aquariums come with some form of filtration, which I was assuming the OP had (and they did). Kept at room temperature without any heat, an aquarium will be in the low seventies. Check out any care sheet for my suggestions and the temp ranges will be between 65-75. You suggested the Betta, which most assuredly would need a heater. White Clouds would be the best choice for this setup IMO, far better than a Betta, which requires a much warmer temperature range.

To the OP, as with any type of aquarium, your best friend is going to be partial water changes. An undergravel filter is not entirely useless as it is a great medium for biological filtration. Might I also make another suggestion? A morph crayfish. They're beautiful, have a ton of "personality", and thrive in seemingly all types of conditions. I've currently got this beaut in about 2.5 gallons of water, and it's doing great.

You would have to upgrade to a slightly larger setup in the future, but you'll fall in love with it, and want to give it the best conditions. Whatever you do decide on, good luck and have fun!

Thanks

Re: Easy fish recommendations?

Quote Originally Posted by lk_holla View Post
    Its been awhile since I've had a fish and I would like to get another one soon. Nothing fancy, just something simple and not too high maintenance.

I've always had bettas or goldfish so if possible I would like to branch out a little bit. Only thing is I don't really have room for the 10 gallon filtered one I used to use, so im left with a gallonish table top one and some large decorative bowl style ones. Is there anything else that I can keep in something like these without a filtration system?

Thanks for any suggestions!
    dont get goldfish, they dirty the water cause problems with the water levels causing algae problems and also makes the tank stink. i wouldnt get any fish if you dont want a filter tank.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12