Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,150

1 members and 3,149 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,100
Threads: 248,542
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Scott L.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts

Re: Under Belly Scales, Falling Off?

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo92583 View Post
    My snake has shed a couple times already and each time, the marks on the snake's back reappear. Should I be concerned about the marks on her back? How do I remove that from her back?
    Should clear up after a few sheds
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Quit using stuff on the snake and don't worry about the spots...

Don't put anything on the snake. Period. Stop listening to that advice from you vet. Trust us on that.

Every snake will have a bad shed at some point in it's life. It is not life threatening. All you have to do is raise the humidity for the next time. A simple soak in an inch or so of luke warm water for 10-15 minutes and a gentle rub down with your hands or a wet cloth going from head toward tail can loosen the skin.

They can get weird spots where the scales come off if it's a bad shed or they discolor. Don't worry about it. It will fix itself next time. Dont pick at it. Oil based products cause the scales to come off. Also do not soak a snake when you notice the eyes go cloudy and it is getting ready to shed. This can actually cause a bad shed by washing away the layer of natural lubricant between the old and new skin which is needed to help the old skin come off. Instead, during this week, keep humidity high by misting the enclosure, substrate, putting the water bowl on top of the hot side, or adding a humid hide.

Make a humid by taking a plastic container to be a tight fitting hide box and put a layer of moistened moss or red cypress mulch (everything else will promote mold) and put it in the enclosure on the warm side during the week of shed.

This will ensure a complete shed and you won't have these problems. You should never have to put anything on your snake unless it has a physical injury.

Thanks
    You should try and contact your local herp society, if there is one in your area. They can give you good recommendations for a vet as well as other resources you can tap into (feeders, supplies ect...)
    -Karl

0.1 Wild type Bp (Eve)
    1.0 Pastel Bp (Aeries)
    0.1 Russian Ratsnake (Vasilisa)
    0.0.1 Bairds Ratsnake (Romeo)

http://www.iherp.com/maixx

Thanks

I've had this happen to me before, simply because of humidity issues. I'd try keeping up the humidity no lower than 50%. When I kept my big girl in a tank, her humidity was always dropping around 30%. Now that I've got her in a tub with the right humidity range I haven't had this happen since.
    Tiff'z Morphz

Thanks
    Thanked 3,727 Times in 1,257 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Wahoo92583 View Post
    Yes, my snake shed probably two weeks ago. Since then, I used a little bit of mineral oil on her skin. Could this be the result of using the mineral oil?
    Remember this thread?

http://ball-pythons.net/forums/showt...40#post1521640

Almost five months ago you had the same thing happened when you applied mineral oil to her.

On Post 8 Vypyrz tells you what the problem is (mineral oil). On Post 9 you acknowledge that reply and ask for clarification.

Did you really forget both that incident and that advice?

6. The Following User Says Thank You to Skiploder For This Useful Post:

ballpythonluvr (07-26-2011)

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12