Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,379

3 members and 3,376 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,541
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Are websites worth the hassle?

Great info everyone! For those who are using Facebook, how do you go about it? A personal page, or a business page?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I think they are worth it too, but agree they are a pain in the butt. Website design software is not intuitive and is a real pain to work with. I've worked with FrontPage and now am using GoDaddy's website builder. I hate working in those programs and am waiting for something simple and intuitive to come out. If that doesn't work, I might just bite the bullet and pay someone else to design one for me.

However, the more you are online, the better chance you have to make sales and develop a reputation. Many if not most of the people who are buying snakes today (especially higher priced morphs) are going to want to see you show up on the Internet with good trader ratings on various sites, have a website and a facebook account.
    Why pay someone to design a site if you can just buy a web development book? Web development is very simple, in my opinion. This would save you a lot of money, and you would have the knowledge to update the site when needed.
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by LadyOhh View Post
    They are worth it for the times when you have a ton of available animals or pictures or information you want to share, and have a reference point instead of taking consistant photos of the same animals to send thru e-mails and stuff.

Plus, you can "show off" what you have, which helps people get to know you better and what you can and do have.

I have great faith and belief in websites for what they can do.
    Good point about the "show off" value. It would help me to build a reputation rather than to just sell off extra babies. I may never have a large number of animals to sell, but I'll be going for high quality. A website would help me extablish a reputation for quality.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Don View Post
    I think they are worth it too, but agree they are a pain in the butt. Website design software is not intuitive and is a real pain to work with. I've worked with FrontPage and now am using GoDaddy's website builder. I hate working in those programs and am waiting for something simple and intuitive to come out. If that doesn't work, I might just bite the bullet and pay someone else to design one for me.
    For anyone who has an Apple - RapidWeaver is the deal for making websites. It's super easy and very intuitive (mostly). If you have problems the developer has a very active forum with people willilng and ready to help. Well worth the cost IMO.

Mine isn't super fancy, but I used Rapidweaver to make it. I'm pleased with how it turned out and I knew nothing about website design when I started.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Blue Apple Herps View Post
    For anyone who has an Apple - RapidWeaver is the deal for making websites. It's super easy and very intuitive (mostly). If you have problems the developer has a very active forum with people willilng and ready to help. Well worth the cost IMO.

Mine isn't super fancy, but I used Rapidweaver to make it. I'm pleased with how it turned out and I knew nothing about website design when I started.

Thanks, I checked them out and may order a copy to test it.

Thanks
    I can tell you personally from a buyer perspective I would rather buy from someone who at least has a facebook business page. There are a lot of breeders I "like" on facebook who do not have websites other than that, and that's fine with me. I get to ask questions, comment on pictures, and I can even ask to see photos of parents, etc. without having to go through emailing and waiting for a response. It's nice and instant.

Just having that alone helps me feel more comfortable buying from someone. I see postings where people just mention by name who they bought from.. Sometimes I'll REALLY like that animal they bought, and I'll want to see more of what this guy produces..I search for him on google..Nothing. Can't find a website, can't find a forum post, can't even find a facebook where someone even mentions anything to do with snakes. That drives me crazy!

But if you have a website you need to update it. It's confusing to see a breeder who only has 'sold' animals on their available page--and they are all from like 2006 or something like that. It makes it look like you aren't even breeding anymore! I think that's part of the 'pros' of facebook pages-It isn't hard to post a picture, you don't need to design anything or reformat the page. You just click upload!

I think I like it best when breeders have both. Facebook makes them seem more personable as well as active. You can see dates when things were posted and can really see the activity going on. And much like on forums where we watch people getting ready to breed, the breeder posts pictures of the parents locking and the clutches laid and it just makes me more excited to see what the babies are gonna look like! Then it's nice to be able to click over to their main website where more information is available and where you go to the available pages to see those babies for sale. The websites are great for holding all the information you want your clients to see, as well as giving that nice professional look if you are good with design! I think they help each other well. You want to be found easily, and not have it frustrating to get in contact with, or else the laziest among us will give up the search no matter how awesome the babies are!

7. The Following User Says Thank You to purplemuffin For This Useful Post:

piedplus (08-24-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by purplemuffin View Post
    I can tell you personally from a buyer perspective I would rather buy from someone who at least has a facebook business page. There are a lot of breeders I "like" on facebook who do not have websites other than that, and that's fine with me. I get to ask questions, comment on pictures, and I can even ask to see photos of parents, etc. without having to go through emailing and waiting for a response. It's nice and instant.

Just having that alone helps me feel more comfortable buying from someone. I see postings where people just mention by name who they bought from.. Sometimes I'll REALLY like that animal they bought, and I'll want to see more of what this guy produces..I search for him on google..Nothing. Can't find a website, can't find a forum post, can't even find a facebook where someone even mentions anything to do with snakes. That drives me crazy!

But if you have a website you need to update it. It's confusing to see a breeder who only has 'sold' animals on their available page--and they are all from like 2006 or something like that. It makes it look like you aren't even breeding anymore! I think that's part of the 'pros' of facebook pages-It isn't hard to post a picture, you don't need to design anything or reformat the page. You just click upload!

I think I like it best when breeders have both. Facebook makes them seem more personable as well as active. You can see dates when things were posted and can really see the activity going on. And much like on forums where we watch people getting ready to breed, the breeder posts pictures of the parents locking and the clutches laid and it just makes me more excited to see what the babies are gonna look like! Then it's nice to be able to click over to their main website where more information is available and where you go to the available pages to see those babies for sale. The websites are great for holding all the information you want your clients to see, as well as giving that nice professional look if you are good with design! I think they help each other well. You want to be found easily, and not have it frustrating to get in contact with, or else the laziest among us will give up the search no matter how awesome the babies are!
    Fabulous info! I think I'll start a "Piedplus" business page on facebook right away. It will be easy to start with Facebook first & then maybe add a website later. Thanks for the details. Just what I needed!

Banned
    Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piedplus View Post
    I just finished with a free trial website. What a pain! I don't know if it's worth the trouble for me. I'll only have about three clutches a year, and I'd rather sell them quickly to good homes at a good price rather that to hold out for top dollar. Is it possible to get by without a website? Can a person build a reputation as a good breeder without one?
    The answer to your last question is YES!!!!!!!

10. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Big Gunns For This Useful Post:

piedplus (08-25-2011),snakesRkewl (12-14-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by piedplus View Post
    I just finished with a free trial website. What a pain! I don't know if it's worth the trouble for me. I'll only have about three clutches a year, and I'd rather sell them quickly to good homes at a good price rather that to hold out for top dollar. Is it possible to get by without a website? Can a person build a reputation as a good breeder without one?
    I don't know what its like in the states but here in Canada your supposed to claim all of your earnings on your income taxes including assets that you sell (this includes garage sales!!). People don't - but thats the reason why I don't recommend that hobby breeders advertise themselves LOL. Unless you want to register as a breeder/ obtain a small business licence and be upfront about it - and give the government all of your money (boo!)..

Just my two cents - I also don't know the laws in your region so don't quote me
    Last edited by decensored; 08-27-2011 at 12:13 PM.

12. The Following User Says Thank You to decensored For This Useful Post:

piedplus (08-27-2011)

Thanks
    <hijack>
    I want to stay within the TOS, so mods please advise if this is out of line.
    If you're apprehensive about creating a website/coding, and would like someone on to do it for you, please pm me.
    </hijack>

14. The Following User Says Thank You to LizardPants For This Useful Post:

decensored (08-27-2011)

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast