Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,190

0 members and 3,190 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

» Stats

Members: 75,095
Threads: 248,538
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Daisyg
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks

Re: Attention breeders in Florida...

I have searched ALL afternoon and have found nothing that states it is illegal to have ball pythons in FL. HOWEVER.....here is something interesting that I think maybe needs to be clarified:

http://biztaxlaw.about.com/od/glossa...rnsepermit.htm

There is a difference between a LICENSE and a PERMIT. You must have a PERMIT to own a dangerous animal (venemous snake, endangered animal, etc). Ball pythons do not require a permit.

However, in order to SELL an animal you must have a LICENSE. I don't know the individual laws on this but I thought there was something about even selling dogs and cats, that legally you must have a breeders license to sell them. Now of course there is a fine line between "selling" and "rehoming". If you are breeding to sell...that is different than rehoming one animal.

And I think that's where things get confusing. I know a few breedes who have gotten busted on craigslist for breeding and selling dogs. They must have a kennel license with our county, and the must have a license to sell in the state of FL.

But Permits are different, permits are needed for exotic animals that may pose a threat or danger if not housed properly (certain species of huge snakes, wolves, bears, venemous snakes and insects, endangered fish, etc).

As far as Fish and Wildlife I have NO idea why they showed upto the OP's property to inspect UNLESS they thought perhaps he had Berms or other "reptiles requiring a permit".

I actually have a business license, so I am able to sell from my home. I cannot, however, do business IN my home (meaning I cannot have people come onto my property to do business (ie: pet store type selling). However I can sell online, etc.....I think a "license to sell" is something the county or government would care more about than FWC.
    Tikigator Exotics & Chondro Collective (find us on facebook!)

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Ball pythons are class III wildlife. I asked him this exact question via email as I was filling out the application.

Anything that isn't a class I or class II is automatically considered a class III.

Because Ball pythons are not listed under I or II, they are class III.

It is conversations like this that end up leaving people confused about the laws.

Here are the facts:

It is illegal to sell a snake in the State of Florida without a license.

It is illegal to buy a snake form someone in the state of Florida that does not have a license.

You do not have to have a license to OWN a ball python as a pet in the state of Florida.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

3. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

Jyson (07-21-2011),llovelace (07-18-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Cavanaugh View Post
    Ball pythons are class III wildlife. I asked him this exact question via email as I was filling out the application.

Anything that isn't a class I or class II is automatically considered a class III.

Because Ball pythons are not listed under I or II, they are class III.

It is conversations like this that end up leaving people confused about the laws.

Here are the facts:

It is illegal to sell a snake in the State of Florida without a license.

It is illegal to buy a snake form someone in the state of Florida that does not have a license.

You do not have to have a license to OWN a ball python as a pet in the state of Florida.
    Are you talking about a PERMIT or a LICENSE? So you are saying any animal not listed in I or II is automatically in III? So cats, dogs, fish, guinea pigs, parakeets? Somehow I find that hard to believe.
    Tikigator Exotics & Chondro Collective (find us on facebook!)

Thanks
    Class I and Class II are restricted species here in TN. You have to go through a lot of red tape and jump through a lot of hoops in order to keep an animal from either of those categories here. All other animals that are not specified in Class I and II are lumped into Class III. Class III covers everything else unless noted otherwise in the guidelines. I'd imagine that it's basically the same for FWC.

Reptiles EVERYWHERE! Foschi Exotic Serpents's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,993 Times in 1,292 Posts
    Yeah that's not right at all.. They're making the rules up as they go along and they should not be able to do that. So it's ok to change the rules for one animal but not another? Just add it here since it isn't listed there but don't do that with all animals.. Just the ones we don't really like and we know we can get money out of for fining all these people..

Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    Cats and dogs etc etc are not "captive wildlife" but domestic pets. They are covered under other stuff. This is specifically "captive wildlife" licenses. There's a listing of species NOT covered under the "captive wildlife" designation.

*TAKEN FROM THE MYFWC.COM SITE*
    The following species do not require a permit for personal possession as long as no other Rule or Statute applies. Examples include, but are not limited to, rules for Threatened or Endangered Species:

a.Reptiles or amphibians (nonvenomous, unprotected species that are NOT listed as endangered, threatened, species of special concern, conditional reptiles, or otherwise regulated)
    b.Gerbils, hedgehogs
    c.Honey possums, sugar gliders
    d.Shell parakeets
    e.Rats and mice
    f.Canaries
    g.Moles; shrews
    h.Rabbits
    i.Squirrels; chipmunks
    j.Ferrets (domestic; European)
    k.Lovebirds
    l.Guinea pigs
    m.Cockatiels
    n.Hamsters
    o.Parrots
    p.Finches
    q.Myna birds
    r.Toucans
    s.Doves: ringed, ruddy, and diamond
    t.Button quail
    u.Prairie dogs
    v.Chinchillas
    Note: Camels, llamas, wild horses, jungle fowl, common guinea fowl and peafowl are considered domestic/domesticated species and do not require a permit. Ratites and bison possessed for farming purposes do not require a permit.

*BREAK*
    A permit is required for personal possession, exhibition or sale of Class III wildlife. Class III wildlife are all species not listed as Class I or Class II; and not among those species that are specifically listed as not requiring a permit for personal possession in rule 68A-6.0022, FAC.

There is no formal list of Class III species. You must check the lists of Class I, Class II, and species not requiring a permit to determine if an animal in question is a Class III species.

*END QUOTED SECTION*
    Last edited by wolfy-hound; 07-18-2011 at 10:55 PM.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

8. The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to wolfy-hound For This Useful Post:

Mike Cavanaugh (07-21-2011),Sariel (07-19-2011)

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    Cats and dogs etc etc are not "captive wildlife" but domestic pets. They are covered under other stuff. This is specifically "captive wildlife" licenses. There's a listing of species NOT covered under the "captive wildlife" designation.

*TAKEN FROM THE MYFWC.COM SITE*
    The following species do not require a permit for personal possession as long as no other Rule or Statute applies. Examples include, but are not limited to, rules for Threatened or Endangered Species:

a.Reptiles or amphibians (nonvenomous, unprotected species that are NOT listed as endangered, threatened, species of special concern, conditional reptiles, or otherwise regulated)
    b.Gerbils, hedgehogs
    c.Honey possums, sugar gliders
    d.Shell parakeets
    e.Rats and mice
    f.Canaries
    g.Moles; shrews
    h.Rabbits
    i.Squirrels; chipmunks
    j.Ferrets (domestic; European)
    k.Lovebirds
    l.Guinea pigs
    m.Cockatiels
    n.Hamsters
    o.Parrots
    p.Finches
    q.Myna birds
    r.Toucans
    s.Doves: ringed, ruddy, and diamond
    t.Button quail
    u.Prairie dogs
    v.Chinchillas
    Note: Camels, llamas, wild horses, jungle fowl, common guinea fowl and peafowl are considered domestic/domesticated species and do not require a permit. Ratites and bison possessed for farming purposes do not require a permit.

*BREAK*
    A permit is required for personal possession, exhibition or sale of Class III wildlife. Class III wildlife are all species not listed as Class I or Class II; and not among those species that are specifically listed as not requiring a permit for personal possession in rule 68A-6.0022, FAC.

There is no formal list of Class III species. You must check the lists of Class I, Class II, and species not requiring a permit to determine if an animal in question is a Class III species.

*END QUOTED SECTION*
    Why are wild horses considered a domesticated species?

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts

Quote Originally Posted by Mft62485 View Post
    Why are wild horses considered a domesticated species?
    Because they are same specie as horses?? just they are live in the wild...

Only REAL wild horses are Tarpan (Europe) and Przewalski's Horse...Asia... You dont have true wild horses in America

Quote from wiki : The term "wild horse" is also used colloquially to refer to free roaming herds of feral horses such as the Mustang in the United States, the Brumby in Australia, and many others. These feral horses are untamed members of the domestic horse subspecies (Equus ferus caballus), and should not be confused with the two truly "wild" horse subspecies.

Quote Originally Posted by tikigator View Post
    Are you talking about a PERMIT or a LICENSE? So you are saying any animal not listed in I or II is automatically in III? So cats, dogs, fish, guinea pigs, parakeets? Somehow I find that hard to believe.
    Yes theoretically You need a license to sell You Hamster your guinea pig parakeets beta fish to another person...

As wolfy said cats and dogs are "domesticated" animals and they are put in to different shelf but for SELLING anything what is not domesticated You need to have Proper LICENSE...

Why Do you Thing Craigslist have disclaimer that is NO ANIMAL SALES but adoptions ??
    Last edited by Aes_Sidhe; 07-19-2011 at 12:51 AM.

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

Thanks
    Wow, that's pretty scary. I had no idea that you need a license just to sell a BP in Florida. Sorry you had to be fined, but at least you're able to keep your snakes and didn't spend any time in jail.

I am glad that they're taking more interest in who owns/ sells herps without completely banning the animals. I'd rather see a few responsible people pay a fine for their animals than a bunch of idiotsrunning around unchecked and neglecting their snakes.

Thanks

Charging a rehoming fee would be in violation of the law. I really think a trade could get you into trouble if the person you are trading with is not licensed to sell. Here in florida we are actually lucky that fwcc fights to protect its turf, it keeps the local municipalities from creating a ton of individual laws governing possession of wildlife like many of the northern states and cities.

Mike is very much correct in his simple 3 point breakdown of selling and possession of any reptile. 50 dollars is much cheaper than a court date or the threat of having your animals confiscated.

13. The Following User Says Thank You to hross For This Useful Post:

Mike Cavanaugh (07-21-2011)

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast