Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,385

1 members and 3,384 guests
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,097
Threads: 248,540
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, Travism91
Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast
    Thanks
    Thanked 2,221 Times in 1,151 Posts
    You do NOT need a license to own... you DO need a license to SELL ball pythons in Florida.
    Theresa Baker
    No Legs and More
    Florida, USA
    "Stop being a wimpy monkey,; bare some teeth, steal some food and fling poo with the alphas. "

Thanks

Re: Attention breeders in Florida...

I am so confused about this class 3 permit. For one there are two applications: no-cost personal pet, and one for public sales. Do I need to apply for both or does the second one cover personal sales?

Quote Originally Posted by tikigator View Post
    But it says this:

"Note: To review Florida Statutes (FS) or rules in the Florida Administrative Code (FAC) please go to https://www.flrules.org

The following species do not require a permit for personal possession as long as no other Rule or Statute applies. Examples include, but are not limited to, rules for Threatened or Endangered Species:

a.Reptiles or amphibians (nonvenomous, unprotected species that are NOT listed as endangered, threatened, species of special concern, conditional reptiles, or otherwise regulated)"

Ball Pythons are nonvenomous, unprotected, they are not listed under species of concern or conditional reptiles.....?

This is news to me and I usually follow the laws very carefully. I know a TON of people who buy and sell BPs on craigslist and I have never heard of a problem. Maybe I will contact them and get clarification on the issue.
    Please do because this is making no sense to me.

Thanks

shipping INTO FL.

does the BUYER need a permit (residence of Florida) if they are having a snake shiped in from another state ?

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by wolfy-hound View Post
    You do NOT need a license to own... you DO need a license to SELL ball pythons in Florida.
    Wolfy, I've looked into this last year when I sold a bumblebee. I don't see any law that requires a permit for the sale of a ball python or a western hognose (the only 2 species I looked at) in Florida unless the law was passed this year. Commercial sale is, of course, covered by the regular business license (license to operate a business in Florida).

Ball Python, in my understanding is covered under "Wildlife Not Requiring a Permit" under the group -
    Reptiles or amphibians (nonvenomous, unprotected species that are NOT listed as endangered, threatened, species of special concern, conditional reptiles, or otherwise regulated)

The only possible section that will prohibit sales of a Ball Python without a permit is under Class III Wildlife, but class III specifically states:

Class III wildlife are all species not listed as Class I or Class II; and not among those species that are specifically listed as not requiring a permit for personal possession in rule 68A-6.0022, FAC.

So, according to this section, Ball Pythons, being part of the list not requiring a permit for personal possession, does not require a special permit to sell.

What am I missing?
    ----------------------------------
    BP owner since Oct 2008, so yeah, I'm no expert.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp
    1.0.0 normal western hognose

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Jyson View Post
    I am so confused about this class 3 permit. For one there are two applications: no-cost personal pet, and one for public sales. Do I need to apply for both or does the second one cover personal sales?

Please do because this is making no sense to me.
    Ball Python is not a Class III Wildlife.
    Last edited by anatess; 07-18-2011 at 03:32 PM.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Life should NOT be a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in an attractive and well preserved body, but rather to skid in sideways, chocolate in one hand, body thoroughly used up, totally worn out and screaming "WOO HOO what a ride!"

Thanks

Re: shipping INTO FL.

Quote Originally Posted by Thesnakepitt View Post
    does the BUYER need a permit (residence of Florida) if they are having a snake shiped in from another state ?
    The buyer is not required to have a permit.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Thanks

I hope this has not already been asked, but what if you sell snakes from a different state to an individual living in Florida?
    Eddie Strong, Jr.

Thanks

Quote Originally Posted by Wh00h0069 View Post
    I hope this has not already been asked, but what if you sell snakes from a different state to an individual living in Florida?
    Wouldn't matter. IF there's a law that requires you to have a permit to sell a ball python in Florida, you cannot sell one in Florida without it. BUT, I still haven't found that regulation that requires a permit to sell a ball python in Florida and I've been searching all afternoon.

Of course, if you sold the snake to a Floridian in your state you're cool. Internet commerce to a Floridian will require a seller's permit if you delivered the snake to a Florida address.

Hope that makes sense.
    Last edited by anatess; 07-18-2011 at 03:51 PM.
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

9. The Following User Says Thank You to anatess For This Useful Post:

Wh00h0069 (07-19-2011)

Thanks
    Wolfy... okay I know you've been in contact with Tallahasee... But all I can find on ball pythons is this:

Non-native non-venomous snakes, other than the conditional reptiles, only require a License to Possess Wildlife for Exhibition or Public Sale if you wish to exhibit or sell them, regardless of size. For example: You do not need a permit to own a ball python for personal use (as a pet).

In the Q&A portion of the FWC site.

But, I re-read the regulation again and I just don't see where it states that you can't sell them without a permit unless I am misunderstanding this statement:

however, this section does not apply to any wildlife not protected by law and the rules of the commission

Did they list ball pythons as a protected species? Because, last I checked, they're only "keeping an eye" on the wildlife importation of ball pythons as they are depleting the native sources - but they haven't listed them in any protection status.

So, what did Tallahassee say? I mean - where does it list ball pythons as Class III wildlife?
    0.1.0 pastel bp
    1.0.0 spider bp
    0.1.0 albino bp
    1.0.0 bumblebee bp
    1.0.0 yellowbelly bp
    0.0.1 normal bp

Thanks
    Very helpful information, thanks! It'd really suck to have the man knockin at my door like that! :X

Page 4 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567891011 LastLast