Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,180

0 members and 3,180 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast
    BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Attention breeders in Florida...

This could really go in this section of forums or in the law section.... I just wanted to make sure that Florida breeders look at this and see how it can affect them. So I figured this was the best spot for that.

I had a visitor at my HOUSE yesterday morning. It was the local Florida Wildlife Commission investigator! He introduced himself, showed his badge and then asked to see my Florida license for selling wildlife in Florida. Safe to say my heart just about stopped... Especially when I saw his handcuffs on his belt!

I knew I had to have that license if I had snakes for sale at a pet shop or at a reptile show... But I thought private sales were a gray area that didn't really require the license. I WAS WRONG!!!!!

I immediately invited him into my home and showed him my entire collection. I showed him my racks, my hatchling racks, my incubator (filled with Bp eggs). I did this just to show him that I didn't have any restricted species.

I answered all of his questions honestly and apologized for not taking the time I should have to have a better understanding of the laws in regard to the private sales of ball pythons.

I'm not sure how exactly he was able to find out who I was or what I did or where I live. None of that matters though... I will never sell a snake without the proper licenses.

He came to fine me heavily. By Fl law he could have even put me in jail for up to 6 months! I was very lucky and he let me go with a serious warning. He was thankful for my cooperation in offering to show him everything I have. He also saw that I really didn't realize how bad what I was doing was!

Lessons learned:

you can not sell a ball python in Florida (even a single one, even privately) without breaking the law unless you have the required license.

You can not buy a ball python in Florida (not even a single one, even privately) without breaking the law unless the seller has the required license!

You better keep records. The Florida Wildlife Commission investigator can request to see all records showing where you acquired your snakes from to ensure you did not purchase any of them illegally (like buying from a private breeder without a valid license.)

Hope that everyone who needs to see this post sees it.

Mike cavanaugh
    Last edited by Mike Cavanaugh; 07-17-2011 at 11:30 AM.
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

2. The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

angllady2 (07-17-2011),Jyson (07-17-2011),llovelace (07-17-2011),purplemuffin (07-17-2011),Quiet Tempest (07-17-2011),snakesRkewl (07-17-2011)

BPnet Senior Member Mike Cavanaugh's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,022 Times in 458 Posts

Attention breeders in Florida...

This could really go in this section of forums or in the law section.... I just wanted to make sure that Florida breeders look at this and see how it can affect them. So I figured this was the best spot for that.

I had a visitor at my HOUSE yesterday morning. It was the local Florida Wildlife Commission investigator! He introduced himself, showed his badge and then asked to see my Florida license for selling wildlife in Florida. Safe to say my heart just about stopped... Especially when I saw his handcuffs on his belt!

I knew I had to have that license if I had snakes for sale at a pet shop or at a reptile show... But I thought private sales were a gray area that didn't really require the license. I WAS WRONG!!!!!

I immediately invited him into my home and showed him my entire collection. I showed him my racks, my hatchling racks, my incubator (filled with Bp eggs). I did this just to show him that I didn't have any restricted species.

I answered all of his questions honestly and apologized for not taking the time I should have to have a better understanding of the laws in regard to the private sales of ball pythons.

I'm not sure how exactly he was able to find out who I was or what I did or where I live. None of that matters though... I will never sell a snake without the proper licenses.

He came to fine me heavily. By Fl law he could have even put me in jail for up to 6 months! I was very lucky and he let me go with a serious warning. He was thankful for my cooperation in offering to show him everything I have. He also saw that I really didn't realize how bad what I was doing was!

Lessons learned:

you can not sell a ball python in Florida (even a single one, even privately) without breaking the law unless you have the required license.

You can not buy a ball python in Florida (not even a single one, even privately) without breaking the law unless the seller has the required license!

You better keep records. The Florida Wildlife Commission investigator can request to see all records showing where you acquired your snakes from to ensure you did not purchase any of them illegally (like buying from a private breeder without a valid license.)

Hope that everyone who needs to see this post sees it.

Mike cavanaugh
    Mikey Cavanaugh
    (904) 318-3333

4. The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Mike Cavanaugh For This Useful Post:

Anna.Sitarski (07-17-2011),Brian Fobian (07-18-2011),FINGAZZ (07-17-2011),Melody (07-18-2011),Smitty524 (07-18-2011),SoFarAway (07-19-2011),The Bears (07-17-2011)

Thanks
    Holy crap. Is all I've got to say

Check out what's new on my website... www.Homegrownscales.com

Thanks

Re: Attention breeders in Florida...

I thought that was a gray area too. SUCKS! What's the name of the permit? Can you apply online?

House Snakes Addict... Aes_Sidhe's Avatar
    Thanks
    Thanked 1,065 Times in 848 Posts
    Yes you can apply on line... is i believe for selling Balls You need category III license

here is a link : http://myfwc.com/license/wildlife/captive-wildlife/
    Last edited by Aes_Sidhe; 07-17-2011 at 11:55 AM.

CLICK HERE to LIKE The RLReptiles on FACEBOOK

Rafal Lisinski

1.0 Striped African House Snake "Marduk"
    0.1 Striped African House Snake Ishtar
    1.0 black phase Brown House Snake Seth
    0.1 black phase Brown House Snake Nephthys

8. The Following User Says Thank You to Aes_Sidhe For This Useful Post:

Jyson (07-17-2011)

Thanks
    Thanked 1,864 Times in 1,703 Posts
    I'll be sending mine in this week , FWC trolls craigslist.
    Check out what's available at

"The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated." - Gandhi

BPnet Veteran Highline Reptiles South's Avatar
    Thanks
    Glad to see the Florida still hard at work enforcing the laws after doing such a fine job with the Casey Anthony trial...

Speaking one Cavanaugh to another
    Last edited by Highline Reptiles South; 07-17-2011 at 12:12 PM.

Thanks
    I just found out about this recently as well. I think I am good though. I already have a Class III for exhibit and sale for some of my ducks. I think I just have to add ball pythons to the species list when the time to renew comes. It's only $50 a year so it's not a big deal. The permit is very easy to get.
    John Vandegrift

Thanks

Yes, It's getting even weirder here in Florida! I went to the Tampa show yesterday to pick up feeders. I hadn't seen my feeder guy in a while, and was very surprised to find out he had sold off most of his snakes, would not be breeding/selling any more reptiles, and was in the process of cutting way back on his feeders (maybe getting out completely). He said he's now required to document the name and number of every buyer. That may be how you were found. Have you purchased an animal at a show recently?

Thanks

So, for all you Florida herp owners - before you even think of breeding your animals, think - what will you do with the hatchlings? If you intend to keep every single one, that's okay. If you plan to enter into ANY transaction, get a Class III license first. Document the details of each transaction. If you don't want to do this, don't breed to sell or trade.

Page 1 of 11 12345678910 ... LastLast