Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,219

0 members and 3,219 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

first time trying to feed

to start i am well aware of the notoriety of ball python eating habits, and am prepared to have to try a bunch of times before i get success, but today i tried feeding my ball python for the first time (since i got him) and have a couple questions.

i'm feeding him (trying to at least) F/T rats, the from the same place that the breeder got them from, and he is very curious about the rat, he is flicking his tongue, smelling the rat (from what i can tell) and even poking it with his nose but wont strike. I'm thinking of just leaving the rat outside of his hide for a while seeing if he will eat eventually, or will he not try to eat a motionless rat?

Thanks
    That is what I had to do with mine the first time. I dried it off, warmed its head with a blow dryer, wiggled it (with tongs) in front of him, and set it down. I left him completely alone. When I came back five hours later he ate it. Now, after a few months, he'll strike at it while I wiggle it. He still won't swallow it if I'm in the room though. Good luck.

Edit: I let the snakes smell the rat in the room for a while before I feed too. The get excited and know whats coming. :Edit
    Last edited by Cendalla; 07-14-2011 at 07:04 PM.
    0.1 Pastel Lesser Platinum (BP)
    0.1 Dumerils Boa
    0.1 Indian Sand Boa (Sunset)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Anery)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Rufescen)
    0.1 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Albino)
    1.0 Kenyan Sand Boa (Paradox Snow)
    And a lot of Tarantulas

Thanks

Re: first time trying to feed

That should work. I just fed my BP for the first time yesterday evening and I tired wiggling it in front of him he looked at it hissed and went away. I tried one more time but didn't wiggle it and he took it after just a few secs.

Thanks

Re: first time trying to feed

well it has been about 4 hours since i first tried, then i left it out for a while, and tried feeding again, and still nothing, he is still very curious about the rat but wont eat. i heard of putting tuna juice on it to help feeding, any other tricks out there to try and get him to eat?

Thanks
    He probably isn't hungry right now. I'm not sure of your timezone but try feeding it at night or late evening.

Thanks
    SUCCESS!

I turned the lights off for about 10 minutes before trying one last time (it's getting dark here anyways) and warmed the rat a bit more than usual, and then just held him there and after about a minute of watching he finally struck and ate. so today marks his first meal with me and only 2 days after his first shed with me also.