Vote for BP.Net for the 2013 Forum of the Year! Click here for more info.

» Site Navigation

» Home
 > FAQ

» Online Users: 3,329

0 members and 3,329 guests
No Members online
Most users ever online was 6,337, 01-24-2020 at 04:30 AM.

» Today's Birthdays

None

» Stats

Members: 75,096
Threads: 248,539
Top Poster: JLC (31,651)
Welcome to our newest member, eamorris97
    Thanks

i need some help.what do i do???

I brought a baby ball python from a guy from craigslist and she is doing well.but the only thing is that she doesnt go to well with handling.she doesnt bite but like wen i hold her and then use my other hand so pick her up and like my hand goes up or something and she sees it she draws back like she is scared.i have been holding her thru out the day for short periods of time.i tried feeding her at one time but she kinda tucked her head under her body.ishe doest have mites or anything.i checked for all that.i think that he just didnt mess with her or anything because wen i first got her sshe have badly stuck shed but thats all gone now.he said that he was feeding her but it look like it wasnt very ofter.she weighs 99 grams from wen i first weighed her.what are things i need to do to make this a happy snake and get her to feed.i dont want to stress her too much or anything like that.

Thanks
    Thanked 6,788 Times in 4,306 Posts

Re: i need some help.what do i do???

Hi,

If she isn't feeding you shouldn't be handling her.

I let them settle in for at least a week but I only start handling once they have eaten a few times for me.

As your finding it can add extra stress for some snakes and you will have years to handle her once she is settled in and feeding.

dr del
    Derek

7 adult Royals (2.5), 1.0 COS Pastel, 1.0 Enchi, 1.1 Lesser platty Royal python, 1.1 Black pastel Royal python, 0.1 Blue eyed leucistic ( Super lesser), 0.1 Piebald Royal python, 1.0 Sinaloan milk snake 1.0 crested gecko and 1 bad case of ETS. no wife, no surprise.

Thanks

How long did you let her adjust to her cage, from the way I read it it sounds like you just got her. From what people have told me (I'm not exhshactly a BP expert) you should wait to handle her until after she eats for you. And wait 48 hours after that. Also, you aren't supposed to handle her before she eats.
    Oh I didn't realize the person above me said exactly the same thing, was trying to eat and type so it took me a while to post this.
    Last edited by iHAZreptiles; 07-14-2011 at 11:39 AM.

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Like they've said, leave her alone for week to let her settle in then offer food.

Do you know if the person you got her from was feeding live? If they were, try offering her live and slowly try to switch her to f/t if that's what you want to feed.

Another thing you can try if she won't take f/t when you offer it is to leave it in her warm side hide over night. This works for me sometimes.

Good luck!
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)

Thanks
    Yeah, make sure you've given her enough time to settle in. The way I prefer to deal with any new snake is I don't handle them (unless I need to clean the cage or something like that) until they've taken 2 meals in a row for me.

From her behavior it sounds like she's just nervous. Once she's settled in and started eating for you, then you can just handle her regularly and she'll get used to you. But DON'T handle her for at least a week right now to let her settle in.
    1.0 Normal - Maynard
    1.0 POG - Victor
    0.1 YB - Diana

0.1 Pastel Boa - Astrid
    1.0 Salmon Boa -

1.1 Leopard Geckos

0.3.2 Inverts

Thanks

jsut to let ppl know i have had her going on about fivve days.the only time i handled her wat wen she had the stuck shed and i had to get it off.i messed with her a little after but wen i tried feeding her it was late one night.i know not to handle befor and after feeding.i already have one bp and i knkow alot about bps.i spend my free time researching on the internet about bps and other snakes. im going to leave her be for a while though

Thanks
    Thanked 1,288 Times in 1,090 Posts
    Every snake is different, some are more shy than others. I have 1 BP that wanted 3 weeks of peace before she thought it was safe enough to eat and I have another that ate the day she arrived. Most of my BPs will take food when it is offered to them, but I have one that only eats when I leave her alone.
    Rebecca
    facebook ~ google+
    www.rawreptiles.com ~ RAW Reptiles on Facebook
    Snakes
    Ball Pythons ~ Hypo Jungle Boas ~ Bredlis ~ Carpet Pythons
    Lizards
    Crested Geckos ~ Chahouas ~ Bearded Dragon
    Furry Friends
    1.0 Black Lab (Orion)